Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Cheap But Functional Modifications...  (Read 2082 times)

July 31, 2009, 05:26:45 PM
Read 2082 times

thill

• Information Offline
Cheap But Functional Modifications...
« on: July 31, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »
I like my 1971 AQ 170, but it's pretty tight for space and not rigged very well for fishing. (previous owner was a crabber)  So I've been slowly adding modifications as I see fit.  

First, my boat didn't have a hatch under the front console seat.  Prev owner thought gas tank was under there, but I didn's think so based on poking around.  So I drilled a hole and it was EMPTY.  Used a jigsaw to cut out a hatch.  The seat cushion is soft, so I glued a cutting board to the bottom of the cushion, to support weight for now.  I'll eventually add a hinged hatch lid to the area under the cushion.  But the additional storage space is AWESOME!!!!

The next thing in need of upgrading was the partial windshield and the original aluminum console rail, mounted on corroded rail feet.  Went online and found most of what I've needed on Ebay.  Got everything for almost exactly $100.  Sweet!

Here is a pic of the Ebay console rail and windshield:

I overdrilled the plexiglass and used rubber grommets to mount the windshield so it wouldn't tend to crack.
The console rail was a little too wide, so I used a tubing bender to adjust it a little, so it fits well.  Now I don't have to worry about the grab rail snapping off in someone's hand in rough seas!

I also installed rodholders in the front of the console, which were sorely needed, along with five more behind the driver's seat.  I fish the Chesapeake Bay, and you never know what you are going to run into, so having an arsenal of rods within reach is very helpful.  Never know when a school of reds or a pod of cobia are going to swim past while you are bottom fishing!

I always enjoy rigging, and this little boat is shaping up nicely.  Too bad it's not a 19 footer!

-TH
-TH

August 01, 2009, 09:55:50 PM
Reply #1

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
Re: Cheap But Functional Modifications...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
Quote from: "thill"

I always enjoy rigging, and this little boat is shaping up nicely.  Too bad it's not a 19 footer!

-TH

Yea, Too bad  :mrgreen:

Me and Pops used to have a 75' 170 AS.  It was really a better nearshore fishing boat than the 19-6 as far as being able to maneuver around in the tight creeks and shallow water.  Sometimes the 19-6 is a little unresponsive to steering at idle speeds.  I do enjoy the extra space though.

Looks like your boat is coming together nicely
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

August 01, 2009, 10:04:24 PM
Reply #2

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:04:24 PM »
Jessie,
How goes it?  How's your Pops doing?  He and Mike C on THT seem to have the "old-timer" thing going well! :D

Can't wait until the cooler weather.  Started back at Proline a month ago.  I am THE ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT!  But I install electronics, hang and rig motors, build hulls/decks, even wet out glass for our stringer people.  One does what one has to do to get the product out the door...

But having fun, great to be back at work, getting product out the door!!! :D

Bob C

RickK, where's the "beer cheer"?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 01, 2009, 11:28:58 PM
Reply #3

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:28:58 PM »
Hey Bob-

It's going alright... this economy is getting really annoying, forcing me to have fewer outings on the AS.  :(  Other than that, I can't complain I suppose...  :wink:

My Dad is doing well.  Things are picking up a tad over at KW.  He got some recent substantial orders.  Nothing huge, but the doors are still open.  KW has been resiliently adding new models during this down time.  They are now selling skiff's similar to Carolina Skiff, but they are arguably better in the layout.  Those have been selling relatively well, which helps things-

That's my brother and his wife in the picture.  He's a lot easier to wake up that early for a photoshoot than I am.

They also added this bluewater beast.  Referred to as the "Stepped Hull Extreme Angle Entry" 244CC.  24/21 Degree Deadrise.  Rides like you wouldn't believe.

There's also some rumors floating around that Hutch has purchased some Cat Molds from another MFG that has gone out of business... I can't wait to see those.

Oh yeah, I have no use for THT lately.  I rarely log on anymore...  Usually just to see what my Dad posts.  :pl:    I'm sure you probably know why...

(Sorry for Hijacking this thread)
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

August 01, 2009, 11:42:07 PM
Reply #4

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 11:42:07 PM »
We are doing the same thing with our Pro-Lite series.  Lots of cockpit room, minimal features, just give the basic owner what he/she wants, and let them take it from there.

KW's 24 is nice, a stepped hull is nothing new (no offense, do some research on stepped hulls), I would suggest KW offers it with twin 200s.  Chances are, right now, she's only offered with twin 150s.  She'll do fine with 200s, trust me.  Probably top 60, a mini-offshore go fast CC.  Damn, I love speed on the water!  Hell, we built a 23 Donzi ZF commercial with twin 225 Verados!  

Bob

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 02, 2009, 07:09:37 AM
Reply #5

thill

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:09:37 AM »
I dunno...
In my experience, on my '99 Grady White, the 200's drink a lot more gas and give you only a tiny bit more top speed.   But the "hull speed" on a Grady would definitely be different than that hull.  Even so, I think in this economy, more people are looking for longer range and better fuel economy.   I'd be curious as to what the actual speed difference/GPH is between 150's and 200's...

That Key West skiff looks like it's got a higher grade of finish than a CS.  Quite the fishing platform.

I'm surprised that there is much handling difference between the 17 and the 19.  Does it have the right steering arm?  MY problem is that my engine, as sweet as it runs, does not have tilt and trim but is an economy manual tilt version... UGH.   So if I'm drifting over a big rock I can't tilt it up, I just scrunch my eyes shut and hope it clears the prop...  THAT is the only thing I really don't like about this rig, besides the scuppers right at water level.  I wish I had a Yamaha 75 on the back.  Lighter and just as powerful as my engine.

-TH
-TH

August 02, 2009, 12:09:48 PM
Reply #6

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 12:09:48 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"

KW's 24 is nice, a stepped hull is nothing new (no offense, do some research on stepped hulls),

Bob

It's new for Key West!  Ever since my pops has been influencing the layout of these boats, they have really become fishing machines.  You should see the new 24' Bay Reef's layout.  I dare say it's the best laid out fishing boat I have ever fished on.

Quote from: "thill"

That Key West skiff looks like it's got a higher grade of finish than a CS.  Quite the fishing platform.

I'm surprised that there is much handling difference between the 17 and the 19.  Does it have the right steering arm?  MY problem is that my engine, as sweet as it runs, does not have tilt and trim but is an economy manual tilt version... UGH.   So if I'm drifting over a big rock I can't tilt it up, I just scrunch my eyes shut and hope it clears the prop...  THAT is the only thing I really don't like about this rig, besides the scuppers right at water level.  I wish I had a Yamaha 75 on the back.  Lighter and just as powerful as my engine.

-TH

The KW's skiff really is a better skiff all around than the CS.  Selfbailing cockpit, way more storage, better fit and finish, etc.

I'm pretty sure the steering cable on my AS is right for the boat- I get lots of swing in the motor.  It's just a big boat to have up in a small creek.  Like a fat girl in a bath tub, not much room for error.  Also, when I'm driving hard in reverse to starboard, usually the boat just goes straight back.  Kind of annoying...
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

August 02, 2009, 06:09:09 PM
Reply #7

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 06:09:09 PM »
Jessie,
Did you get my reply to your PM on THT?

Bob C

Corner of 520 and A1A...

May 31, 2020, 06:32:48 PM
Reply #8

thill

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 06:32:48 PM »
Wow. blast from the past.
That 170 ended up being a tuned fishing machine that caught some awesome fish.
I've had many boats since that one, and am now duplicating the 170 with a 1986 version
-TH

May 31, 2020, 06:52:52 PM
Reply #9

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 06:52:52 PM »
 :thumleft:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal