Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Floor Replacement Estimate Comparison - Options - 97 Osprey 200 CC (TTOP Add Too  (Read 632 times)

September 22, 2017, 04:05:48 PM
Read 632 times

Yankeehusker

• Information Offline
Good Afternoon Everyone-

I have a 97 Osprey center console.  My first salt boat and she has been a great one so far. Done everything from small lakes to 30+ miles offshore for tuna.  Pulled her out of an old sailor's yard a few years ago, refit her and got on the water.  Repowered from a 96 115 to a 2015 ETEC 135 HO this year.  She really sings now.

All of that praise aside, there are some soft spots on the floor.  Could be just stringer delam, but i am thinking probably rotten core.  I am not a glass guy and with moving this fall am not going to learn to be one.  So I have gotten a couple of estimates on getting the floor replaced.  They each have a different technique and price point and I figured you guys would have some opinions on which to go with.

I should say also that I am not going to drill and fill in an attempt to stabilize the floor.  This will be the family boat for a while yet and i want to add a t-top, so to head off any future problems we are going with full replacement.

I am not too concerned about what might be underneath given the AS stringer and transom systems and the fact that they show no apparent weakness.  The gas tank is plastic and gives no indication of any leakage.

Option 1 - big shop, good reputation, full removal of center console, all wiring, etc.  cut out floor, replace.  Estimate of $3000-$5000 plus anything they find underneath that needs repair.

Option 2 - mobile guy servicing several shops, the one i went to has a good reputation.  $1200-$1500 plus anything he finds underneath.  He told me finding something was unlikely given the AS build.  His technique is move console to one side, cut down middle and replace one side, move console over, cut out and replace the other side and glass the seam.

These estimates are really far apart.  Thoughts?  is the mobile guy just able to quote lower since he is not unwiring the whole thing and he has less overhead?  Are there other questions I should be asking?

Couple other questions while i am at it:

1. When installing rod holders through the top cap a couple years ago, i noticed that the cap appears to be cored, and some of that seemed a bit wet.  Given the cap structure, is this ever likely to be an issue?  I would think not. Would this impact a new floor?  I would guess not if the floor is glassed fully when installed.

2. TTOP installation, option 2 guy suggested adding a 3/4" glassed ply piece under the actual console and screwing to that, seems to make sense, thoughts?

I am having a few stress cracks repaired too.  Nothing that you can grip with a fingernail.  Also have flat black paint on the bottom to deal with, but I have seen the forums on that!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

September 22, 2017, 04:26:06 PM
Reply #1

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
The big question is what type of materials will they use for the repair.  This can wildly vary the costs, are they using plywood? balsa? foam board? honeycomb?  Polyester resin? vinylester? epoxy?  Gel coat or paint?  $1500 sounds REALLY cheap to me.  Where are you located?  I'd get a list of references and pictures of actual boats they have done repairs to.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

September 22, 2017, 05:26:36 PM
Reply #2

Yankeehusker

• Information Offline
References are a good idea. Option 2 would use ply wood, glassed.  Not sure on option 1.

Paint for the floor covering.

September 22, 2017, 05:27:10 PM
Reply #3

Yankeehusker

• Information Offline
Located in Connecticut

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal