Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Oil tank is coming off  (Read 3234 times)

October 01, 2017, 11:59:24 AM
Reply #45

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Oil tank is coming off
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2017, 11:59:24 AM »
Capt Bob, so does the X side go into the grommet while the mushroom side goes against the spring?

Clean the block, install the grommet and then place the mushroom head against the grommet (block side) with the spring seated over the stem (x side) and then seated over the bottom "pin" in the cover.

Picture this. The spring is still in the same place with either valve. Logic would indicate that it was designed to keep the original poppit valve (at rest) against the grommet. The old style had stems on both sides (as in you pic). One held the spring against the valve and the other "guided" the valve within the grommet. This design lent itself to clogging with salt over time between the grommet and the raised section of the valve body. The re-designed mushroom head removes the "trap" created between the x stem and the valve face (rounded on the grommet face surface) and should, in theory make for better operation over time.

Trying to install with the spring "sliding around" on the rounded head would seem to be "challenging".

PS... If you bought a Yamaha replacement I seem to recall an instruction sheet showing the correct order but I may be dreaming. :ScrChin:

Good luck.  :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

October 01, 2017, 09:34:06 PM
Reply #46

clop52

• Information Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2017, 09:34:06 PM »
Got it! Thanks Capt Bob and every one else for contributing. Well, everything is in place.  The only thing left to do is take her back out in the water.  I tried to do that today, but there was a small craft advisory and soccer for the kids and a table to finish, and football, etc, etc, etc...

I will post as soon as i get it out and, HOPEFULLY, no alarms this time.  If yes, then i'll taking the heads off and baking them in acidic acid.  But i really hope it doesn't come to that. More to follow.

Cesar
1989 Osprey 175
Yamaha 115TLRR

October 01, 2017, 10:01:25 PM
Reply #47

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »
Got it! Thanks Capt Bob and every one else for contributing. Well, everything is in place.  The only thing left to do is take her back out in the water.  I tried to do that today, but there was a small craft advisory and soccer for the kids and a table to finish, and football, etc, etc, etc...

I will post as soon as i get it out and, HOPEFULLY, no alarms this time.  If yes, then i'll taking the heads off and baking them in acidic acid.  But i really hope it doesn't come to that. More to follow.

Cool.  Looking forward to learning the results.  Fingers crossed for ya.
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

October 09, 2017, 04:19:31 PM
Reply #48

clop52

• Information Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »
Good news! The boat ran fantastic.  Had it at over 5000RPM, doing about 30 mph, no issues, no alarms, nothing.  So thanks for helping me with this problem.  Thanks for the thougrough explanations and patience. It's good to have a corps of professionals willing to help the novices like me.

Bad news, i think my fuel pump is out. After coming back down to idle speed to go through  no-wake zone, my motor shut off and wouldn't turn over.  Almost like it was out of fuel. Well, it has plenty of fuel, but it is not getting to my carbs. So, another thing to work on.

I am going to disconnect the line going out of my pump to see if i get any fuel out of it when i turn the key, if i do not, then i need a new fuel pump.  I think.

Cesar
1989 Osprey 175
Yamaha 115TLRR

October 10, 2017, 11:52:20 PM
Reply #49

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2017, 11:52:20 PM »
Good news! The boat ran fantastic.  Had it at over 5000RPM, doing about 30 mph, no issues, no alarms, nothing.  So thanks for helping me with this problem.  Thanks for the thougrough explanations and patience. It's good to have a corps of professionals willing to help the novices like me.

Bad news, i think my fuel pump is out. After coming back down to idle speed to go through  no-wake zone, my motor shut off and wouldn't turn over.  Almost like it was out of fuel. Well, it has plenty of fuel, but it is not getting to my carbs. So, another thing to work on.

I am going to disconnect the line going out of my pump to see if i get any fuel out of it when i turn the key, if i do not, then i need a new fuel pump.  I think.

Good to hear you've solved the alarm issue.  I'm not so sure the new issue is related to the fuel pump though, since you were running at high rpms with no problems.  The fuel pump doesn't fit into the equation when starting the engine.  The primer bulb delivers fuel to the carbs.  The fuel pump only begins to function when the engine is running.  So with the engine off and carbs primed, if the engine isn't starting then the issue is elsewhere. 
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

October 11, 2017, 08:43:34 AM
Reply #50

clop52

• Information Offline
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2017, 08:43:34 AM »
Thanks for your input, Jason. It may be the carburetor float. I just had my carbs cleaned and maybe they tweaked them the wrong way. I’ll get in there and see what’s what.

Cesar
1989 Osprey 175
Yamaha 115TLRR

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal