Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: What the heck is in my fuel???  (Read 2103 times)

July 10, 2017, 06:24:00 PM
Reply #30

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
Re: What the heck is in my fuel???
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
The plot thickens.........
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

July 11, 2017, 12:03:34 AM
Reply #31

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 12:03:34 AM »
I unfortunately have a lot of experience with these issues.  I highly doubt its the gas dock.  You need to find out of its saltwater or rain water getting into your boat.

I would  first check the top of the fuel tank, if you have an access hatch leading to it.  Water could be pooling up due to a bad seal in console or hatch, then getting in via the sender.  You said you got a new WEMA?

I would also detach the fill and vent lines at the fuel tank, place a pig under the detached lines (they must be done separately) and wash the boat down or run the boat at crusing speed, and see if they are getting water onto the pig. 

Are  you leaving your tank full most of the time, or half / quarter full?  I'm also in the northeast and with the big temperature changes, you can absorb water if the tank isn't left full.  I notice in the fall when there's really big swings (70 degrees by day to 30 at night) my filter picks up a ton of water. 

Just a few thoughts... Good luck

Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

July 11, 2017, 10:18:48 AM
Reply #32

Brendanpd28

• Information Offline
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 10:18:48 AM »
I unfortunately have a lot of experience with these issues.  I highly doubt its the gas dock.  You need to find out of its saltwater or rain water getting into your boat.

I would  first check the top of the fuel tank, if you have an access hatch leading to it.  Water could be pooling up due to a bad seal in console or hatch, then getting in via the sender.  You said you got a new WEMA?

I would also detach the fill and vent lines at the fuel tank, place a pig under the detached lines (they must be done separately) and wash the boat down or run the boat at crusing speed, and see if they are getting water onto the pig. 

Are  you leaving your tank full most of the time, or half / quarter full?  I'm also in the northeast and with the big temperature changes, you can absorb water if the tank isn't left full.  I notice in the fall when there's really big swings (70 degrees by day to 30 at night) my filter picks up a ton of water. 

Just a few thoughts... Good luck

Thanks for the advice! My issue with your method is the only access I have to the tank is through a deck plate which gives me access to the sending unit and grounding tab only. I am positive the deck plate is not  leaking and the sending unit is also tight.  I check it every trip and the tank is always bone dry.  I unfortunately have no way to access the fill and vent connections at the tank without adding some sort of hatch which I WILL do if necessary.  But if you saw the way my vent was setup I think you would be pretty confident that it is the culprit.  The deck fill is also brand new and high quality so I doubt it is the source. I will install a large clamshell cover facing aft and at a slight downward angle.  I will be FREQUENTLY inspecting my fuel water separator as well.  What also leads me to the vent being the culprit is when my buddy had the boat out the other day, he has just putting the harbor and I made sure he checked the filter back at the slip.  100% premix.  The next day he went at least 6 miles up the coast in some mildly choppy conditions and he DID NOT check the filter when he returned.  It was the next morning when I went down and found the filter full of water again. Just trying to eliminate possibilities here lol. 
Brendan P. D.

July 11, 2017, 09:36:40 PM
Reply #33

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 09:36:40 PM »
Good article in this July's Soundings magazine regarding correct install of fuel tank vents. Any vents for that matter. Couldn't find a online link. Sorry.
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

August 12, 2017, 01:44:52 AM
Reply #34

JimInPB

• Information Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 01:44:52 AM »
I just found out that you can now get Racor clear view water-seperating fuel filters with a built in primer pump.  It's kind of a cute little unit -
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C311%7C2349059%7C2837510&id=1940998
https://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Service/EB00033_Marine_Gasoline_Spin-on_Filters.pdf

I've had good luck with Racor & the clear bowl with the drain spigot makes it easy to see when you have water/sludge & get it out.

August 12, 2017, 07:23:52 PM
Reply #35

john mcguire

• Information Offline
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
hi, saw this was a recent post so thought I would chime in. have the exact same issues and after pulling my hair out for several seasons (including getting towed with the inlaws onboard) have concluded it is the fuel vent as well. same design (seadog I think), letting salt water rushing up the hull in chop right into the tank. I have a month old ETEC which died after one week. I took a sample of the water separator bowl and I looked just like one of your photos. I added a hatch near the fill lines, added a loop in the vent line so any water intrusion would drain out and not into the tank, changed the vent type to a flush one and added a big clamshell to protect against spray and rain. I also drained the tank bone dry, polished the gas just to be sure. running awesome for 2 weeks now. I know this is frustrating so hope this helps you get going again.

PS i hate ethanol fuel MORE then anyone else, but in NY we can't easily get anything on the water else so its not part of the solution equation. Most boat don't have any trouble so it must be something else. Goodluck

August 13, 2017, 10:31:08 PM
Reply #36

JimInPB

• Information Offline

August 16, 2017, 09:59:23 PM
Reply #37

Brendanpd28

• Information Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:23 PM »
I feel your pain man!! I ended up installing a large clamshell over the vent and haven't had water since. Haven't had a lot of time for the boat though since my wedding was on 8/12....but I'm back in action now!!! Motor has been running well but I still need to do a compression test. I'm figuring the large amount of water was causing all of my issues.
Brendan P. D.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal