You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Yamaha Gauge Backlight  (Read 2839 times)

May 14, 2017, 12:26:01 AM
Read 2839 times

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
Yamaha Gauge Backlight
« on: May 14, 2017, 12:26:01 AM »
Is it possible to replace the backlight in this gauge?

---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

May 14, 2017, 08:23:28 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Yamaha Gauge Backlight
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
Yes.

http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=8752.msg85496#msg85496

I believe the lamp is listed as a "grain of wheat" type. Google should help you locate the bulb once you have it out.

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 14, 2017, 12:45:36 PM
Reply #2

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:45:36 PM »
Super!  This was unexpected good news. Thank you.
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

May 14, 2017, 08:15:57 PM
Reply #3

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »
Yes.

http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=8752.msg85496#msg85496

I believe the lamp is listed as a "grain of wheat" type. Google should help you locate the bulb once you have it out.

This tach was a hand-me-down after my previous tach faded out.  Works great, except no backlight.  It was free, so no complaints.  But I'd like to figure out if its a bad backlight, bad wire, and confirm its connected correctly.

The dialogue below comes from the installation manual for my tach.  The highlighted statement is confusing me. 

The picture below is of the connections between the tach and tach signal harness.  Blk-Blk, Yel-Yel, Blu-Blu, Grn-Grn.  Simple.  But I do not have the yellow and blue wires in the middle of the harness connected, as this manual suggests if wanting the backlight on with ignition.

My next question has to do with meter testing the blue wire.  I know the tach and tach harness black ground wire is good because the tach works.  Since the blue wire carries 12v for the backlight, I can volt test the harness blue to confirm it's delivering 12v.  If the harness blue is good, how do I test the tach side blue wire?
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

May 14, 2017, 10:51:20 PM
Reply #4

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 10:51:20 PM »
Out of curiosity I connected the blue and yellow pigtails together, the two pigtails located in the middle of the harness.  The result is what you see here.  There is a light, but no digital readout.  When I shinned my headlight on the gauge I could see the digital readout.  Thoughts?

If the blue and black tach wires are connected to blue and black harness wires there is no light whatsoever.  Keeping these wires connected, when the harness yellow and blue are connected (like the manual stated, previous post) there is a backlight but I loose digital visibility.

---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

May 15, 2017, 09:19:26 AM
Reply #5

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
First, your photos are not showing up again.

The yellow wire is switched power to the tach.
It powers the tach display along with other gauge functions. It receives power from your starting power supply.
It is required for your gauge to function but is not used for illumination.

The lighting circuit is separate(dedicated). The blue wire receives power through the panel light switch on your console. Black is ground. All your gauges with illumination capability are wired this way. If you powered the lighting off of gauge power, it would be constantly on with the gauge.

These two wires are not to be hooked together but you now know that.

If the lamp is good in the gauge, you should show no resistance between the black and blue wire coming off the gauge. Again, the blue should be going to your panel lighting (circuit) switch which provides illumination to each gauge.

Lastly, have you tried using the Forum Gallery to post your pics?
http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=12725.0

]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 15, 2017, 11:20:35 AM
Reply #6

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
Also, since you stated you are using a "hand me down" gauge, it appears to be the older model (pre 1994) style like I have in my boat (1991). I would have thought that your newer motor would be wired for the post 94 model.

This may be leading to the wiring confusion also. Tell me, does the trim gauge LCD function on that tach?
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 15, 2017, 05:00:39 PM
Reply #7

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 05:00:39 PM »
I do not have my panel lights tied into the gauge lights.  I've got harness Blu to tach Blu, harness Blk to tach Blk.  At night the screen is dark, but the numbers can be seen using my head light.  When I plug the harness (middle) Blu and Yel together, as the manual below states, a light comes on...pictured below.  But when this light is on I cannot see numbers on screen.  If I shine my head light on the gauge I am able to see the numbers, even with the gauge light remaining on.

What I also like to know is how many lights are in this gauge?  I had thought just 1, the back light.  From a different source I just learned there are two, the back light and display light.  Again referring to the manual, since Blu/Yel together turns on the back light, what wires power the display light?

When you say, "These two wires are not to be hooked together but you now know that", what are you referring to?

---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

May 15, 2017, 11:23:14 PM
Reply #8

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »
First, let me say that IMHO the LCD screen in your gauge has seen better days.

I'm fuzzy on why you prefer not to have the gauge(s) wired to the panel :?: such that under low/no light conditions (running at night) that a single switch would illuminate all your panel gauges (assuming they have that capability). It's your choice of course so we'll move on.

Your tach LCD is comprised of a pc board with electronic gizmos with an LCD screen mounted on top. The screen is sandwiched between two sheets of polarized film material with the back sheet covered with a reflective film. When energized it looks like this.
http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=8752.msg81923#msg81923

There was no "back light/display light" on at the time that pic was taken. Under normal lighting conditions during the day (direct sunlight will hamper/fade viewing) the gauge is clearly visible with no aid from the "back light/display light. It is again only intended to be used during low/no light conditions to give the LCD contrast and make it visible. The back/display light is one in the same. There is only one lamp in the gauge.

Reading the "manual" you posted, it states that if you wire the blue and yellow together the back light will be illuminated constantly while switched power is being used. That is due to the fact that the yellow wire supplies 12 volt power to the gauge itself. By connecting to the blue, you are now supplying 12v to the back light

It also states that if you wire the blue to your Nav. lights, it will again illuminate when they are in use (switched on thus supplying 12v to the lamp). This allows illumination only when needed. You normally run your Nav. lights in a low/no light condition.

Illuminating the LCD screen in daylight will not increase the visibility of the screen. That is why I wire the gauge illumination to a panel light switch which allows me to turn on all my gauges both LCD and analog when it gets dark. There is just no need to illuminate the tach during daylight operation. So then why do they have that option? I can only assume it would be used in an instance where the gauge is mounted in a low lit area or the vessel is used only at night. :ScrChin:

UV radiation breaks down the polarized film sandwiching the LCD display and renders the LCD screen unreadable over time. The yellowing is one sign of UV breakdown (like 3M 5200) but the screen can fail while still appearing "normal". I'm guessing yours is giving up the ghost.

]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 15, 2017, 11:48:53 PM
Reply #9

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 11:48:53 PM »
First, let me say that IMHO the LCD screen in your gauge has seen better days.

I'm fuzzy on why you prefer not to have the gauge(s) wired to the panel :?: such that under low/no light conditions (running at night) that a single switch would illuminate all your panel gauges (assuming they have that capability). It's your choice of course so we'll move on.

Your tach LCD is comprised of a pc board with electronic gizmos with an LCD screen mounted on top. The screen is sandwiched between two sheets of polarized film material with the back sheet covered with a reflective film. When energized it looks like this.
http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=8752.msg81923#msg81923

There was no "back light/display light" on at the time that pic was taken. Under normal lighting conditions during the day (direct sunlight will hamper/fade viewing) the gauge is clearly visible with no aid from the "back light/display light. It is again only intended to be used during low/no light conditions to give the LCD contrast and make it visible. The back/display light is one in the same. There is only one lamp in the gauge.

Reading the "manual" you posted, it states that if you wire the blue and yellow together the back light will be illuminated constantly while switched power is being used. That is due to the fact that the yellow wire supplies 12 volt power to the gauge itself. By connecting to the blue, you are now supplying 12v to the back light

It also states that if you wire the blue to your Nav. lights, it will again illuminate when they are in use (switched on thus supplying 12v to the lamp). This allows illumination only when needed. You normally run your Nav. lights in a low/no light condition.

Illuminating the LCD screen in daylight will not increase the visibility of the screen. That is why I wire the gauge illumination to a panel light switch which allows me to turn on all my gauges both LCD and analog when it gets dark. There is just no need to illuminate the tach during daylight operation. So then why do they have that option? I can only assume it would be used in an instance where the gauge is mounted in a low lit area or the vessel is used only at night. :ScrChin:

UV radiation breaks down the polarized film sandwiching the LCD display and renders the LCD screen unreadable over time. The yellowing is one sign of UV breakdown (like 3M 5200) but the screen can fail while still appearing "normal". I'm guessing yours is giving up the ghost.

Fantastic explanation bob, thank you.  I now have a better understanding, now knowing display light and back light are the same.  I get the jist that if the polarizer and reflective film are replaced, along with repairing the outer screen, all will be good.

I have a 2nd tach, which i had to replace with the tach this thread is about.  This 2nd tach loloks brand new, but when powered up it only displays a dimly lit "E" and 2 arrows.  One over the temp symbol and the other arrow over the red low oil symbol.  After a minute of being powered on the screen is completely blank.  Does this sound like a malfunctioning gauge or could it also have a bad polarizer and reflective film?
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

May 16, 2017, 12:07:33 AM
Reply #10

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 12:07:33 AM »
The gauge goes through a systems check when first energized, then should display the rpm if the motor has started. Sounds like a dying gauge. Though yellowed, mine still functioned normally.

Finding the older gauges (pre 1994) can be frustrating. The 1994 and up are easier to locate. I'm certain that is what Rick used (though his originals were from 1992) and the newer gauge (prior to the current generation) should be what you have for your year motor. rebuilding (replacement of the polarized film) appears to be a stimulating DIY project. Myself, I chose to tract down the old style gauges on eBay to replace mine.

]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 16, 2017, 12:36:46 AM
Reply #11

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 12:36:46 AM »
The gauge goes through a systems check when first energized, then should display the rpm if the motor has started. Sounds like a dying gauge. Though yellowed, mine still functioned normally.

Finding the older gauges (pre 1994) can be frustrating. The 1994 and up are easier to locate. I'm certain that is what Rick used (though his originals were from 1992) and the newer gauge (prior to the current generation) should be what you have for your year motor. rebuilding (replacement of the polarized film) appears to be a stimulating DIY project. Myself, I chose to tract down the old style gauges on eBay to replace mine.

I was referred to a guy through the THT forum who replaces the polarizer, reflective film, amd refurbishes screen for $50.  Which sounds like a great deal.  I'm told doing it myself cost about $30 in parts.  Think id pay the extra $20 to forgo the hassle. I might use him for the gauge that needs this done.  As far as the 2nd gauge, I dunno what to do with it.  There's gotta be a way to meter test the gauge to determine what exactly is malfunctioning.  I just haven't uncovered this info yet. 
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

May 17, 2017, 12:12:38 AM
Reply #12

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 12:12:38 AM »
One thing I used to like to do in electronics class in school was flip around the polarized filters on lcd screens. This reversed display making the segments clear and the background black. This is especially cool on backlit screens since it makes the numbers light up. I thought it made the displays much easier to read and always wondered why manufacturers didn't make them this way.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal