Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: New Member- 1978 200 CCP  (Read 12150 times)

February 04, 2009, 01:05:32 AM
Reply #15

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
Re: New Member- 1978 200 CCP
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 01:05:32 AM »
Your welcome! I look forward to those pics. I just picked up everything I need for the dashboard rebuild... weather is supposed to be in the low 50's by the weekend so I look forward to getting started.
1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

February 10, 2009, 01:33:43 AM
Reply #16

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 01:33:43 AM »
Well, I started tearing apart the dashboard. I purchased all of the parts that I will be using to rebuild it. I will be cutting Starboard tomorrow and getting this project underway. As a side project, I figured... Hmmm... let me take up the gas tank cover and see whats going on....

This is how I got my center console out of the way without cutting/disconnnecting all the wires. It worked pretty well just raising it up a bit...By the way, the teak that the center console mounts to is restorable but a bit shot(seen on the right). Im thinking im going to buy a length of decking material (trex) and cutting it up to see if im satisfied with it. If not then I will take the time and money to re do the teak... but I really feel this is a very insignificant area to go through all that trouble.

Yes folks... all that white stuff in the picture is ICE! The gas tank well is sopping wet. Fun. Stinky. Im going to let it dry out for a few weeks and drill a drain hole (see next image). I dont have any intentions at this time to deal with the fuel tank. It holds fuel and isnt leaking yet... good enough for me. It took me less than 2 hours to get the cover off so Ill deal with the gas tank when I need to. For now I just want to dry it out and seal it up good.

Im going to drill a hole at the bottom about 3-1/2 inches off center. Photos taken by sticking my hand down the bilge acess shows that the tank bin rests on the keel... thus there is a nice void next to the keel.

I ended up peeling off the layer of fiberglass to expose the wood. It was soaking wet but amazingly in good shape. It only delaminated from the shell a few inches in one of the corners. Im going to get very creative... Im going to drill small holes just through the wood in specific places (anywhere I think there may be delamination or compromised wood) and drown it in GIT ROT. I believe this will buy me more time with the wood and help to re-laminate the wood to the shell. Then I plan on applying two coats of fiberglass to the underside and call it a day.

February 10, 2009, 10:42:54 AM
Reply #17

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 10:42:54 AM »
Koz,

Been there and done that on the center hatch <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->   Thanks to instructions from Gonefission I re-cored mine about 1 year ago.  I will say that was the most labor intensive thing that I have done to the CCP to date.  It was very challenging removing old fiberglass and wood from the skin without breaking it <!-- s:twisted: -->:twisted:<!-- s:twisted: -->   It looks like yours has water intrusion around the access hatch.  That is usually the first place to go.  If you can get away without re-coring you will be better off unless you have alot of time on your hands.

Check out this thread and you can see my "projects" when I first got the boat:
http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=1690.0
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

February 10, 2009, 10:01:22 PM
Reply #18

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 10:01:22 PM »
Wow John, what a project. Thanks for sending me to your post. I will definitely need the instructions posted on reglassing the hatch cover. I feel the wood is wet but not far gone at all. I never felt a soft spot and it is only delaminating at one corner a bit. Im going to try a Git Rot experiment and drill a series of 1/4 inch holes with a dull tipped bit so as to JUST penetrate the wood and not the skin. Then I will pour the Gitrot into those holes as per instructions and weight it down to set. Im hoping for 2 things... that the Gitrot will strenghten the wood and maybe even re-laminate it to the shell. Then I will do 2 coats of glass over the wood and call it a day. If I never pulled the cover I would have never known what was going on... meaning I didnt feel any soft spots or anything. So, with that said, I feel like this will be enough for now to improve something that was ok (at the moment) to begin with. Im just glad to dry it out and give it some good attention, even if it isnt a full restore as prescribed. Im thinking of removing all the foam from around the tank to allow for drainage, but I want to leave the foam on top of the tank because when poured it expanded right up to the floor, therefore it is adding support to the floor. I need to get this over with fast.. I want to be in the water by about the 1st week in march. Thanks again for the link to the post.

February 16, 2009, 09:12:35 PM
Reply #19

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 09:12:35 PM »
Some good progress. I sold the 1986 Evinrude 225 so the transom is all clear to mount up the 1988 Rude 175. But before that happens Im sending out the transom plate to be annodized a medium blue... both for looks and to protect the plate. I also finished the instrument panel for the center console. It came together really well. Starboard is awesome to work with. Cuts really nice. It worked out great. Here are some pics of it roughed in. I havent bolted it in yet because I have to build a cubby for the glove box. The glove box in the picture is from SSI plastics and was quite small. So I got brave and cut the back off to turn it basically into a hatch, so I can then utilize all the space there is behind the hatch in the center console. I am going to fillet in 1/4 marine ply then paint it white. Pics to follow as progress is made

4/13/2009- Coming along! 99% finished. All the electrical is connected, I just need to clean up and strap the wires neater. Glove box compartment is finshed and painted as well. That black dot in front of the control is my new horn button... I thought it was the perfect location being I can use my throttle hand to honk. I also added a drop in horn unit to a hole I cut in the top of the anchor locker. I used an existing hole from a light pole socket that I will never use. (Pics soon!)

I like the Blue seas 12 position fuse panel. I took starboard and bent it in the shape of an "s" (birds eye view) to make the fuse panel mount. All my wiring is crimped, soldered, and shrink wrapped using only marine grade tinned wiring.

February 17, 2009, 05:26:48 AM
Reply #20

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 05:26:48 AM »
:thumleft:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

February 17, 2009, 08:27:29 AM
Reply #21

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 08:27:29 AM »
Looking good Koz :thumright:
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

February 17, 2009, 11:45:21 AM
Reply #22

allen456

• Information Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 11:45:21 AM »
very nice

1979 Aquasport 200 CCP--1981 Johnson 175

March 12, 2009, 12:25:09 AM
Reply #23

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 12:25:09 AM »
Hello All,
The weather has become bearable so ive been at it as best as I can. Here is some of the progess:

Here is a pic of the base for the center console. The teak was shot, plus there is really so little of it that shows. I decided to go with TREX decking material that I bought at Home Depot. I cut it, sanded it and routered it to match the original. Its a bit flat in sheen after sanding, but i painted it with Sikkens Cetol and it looks great (Bottom pic). Yes, I know what you are saying... thats a plastic composite and cetol is for wood. True. But I said screw it and went for it. Time will tell. Will it hold? will it peel? who knows. I felt it was worth the risk because there is so little it that shows. Also i figured, because it is trex, I can always hit it with sand paper and start over. Anyways, the trex is nice and sturdy and should hold up well.

......The GIT ROT experiment....

I have 2 choices.... rip the deck up and do it the right/expensive/time consuming/ way... or get creative and try my luck with unconventional methods...

The floor is shot between the stringers forward of the center console, and is a bit soft next to the center console. Ive read/studied/seen most of the awesome restoration projects posted here. I cant afford the money, or time to do it the "right way"... So heres my experiment. Time will tell if it works out. I do not think that this will prevent me from having to rip the deck up, but if I can buy a few years ill be happy.

I started out by making a pattern out of 1/4 inch ply of a hole pattern 3 inches apart.

I then took this pattern and used a pencil to transfer this pattern to the effected areas... in this case, fore of the center console, and next to the center console, port and star. Then I took a conter bore bit with a stop collar (the bit comes from my Dad who is a aircraft machinist, but I made the stop myself.. chip off the old block!) The tip of the bit measures 1/4 inch wide and about a 1/4 inch deep before it tapers another 1/4 deeper by a good amount wider. The purpose of this exact bit is so to NOT drill through the plywood, but to get through most of it. The taper is for better pouring of the GIT ROT and for better patching later. I then swiss cheesed the floor with the bit following the pattern

I also cut a hole for an 8 inch inspection hatch midway aft of the storage bin.

I will let the floor dry out for the next two weeks. Ive kept the boat covered and have run a dehumidifier when the temps allow. If its too cold the coil just frosts over and doesnt drip the water. I am also going to run a fan under the cover to speed drying.

After about 2 weeks I will fill all the holes with git rot  and give that  week to dry. Then I will fill the holes with west systems 404, and paint the deck with Interlux 2 part perfection.... More to come!

Also, I have applied a similar principle to the tank cover. The fiberglass roving on the bottom was quite delaminated, so I stripped it off. Then I washed the wood down with Tilex Mildew remover. THen I let it dry for 2 weeks or so. Then I took a dull 1/4 drill bit and drilled just through the plywood but not through the fiberglass shell. I appled Git Rot and clamped the spots down. The curcular hole pattern you see on the edge of the cover are from the seat pedistals. I am eliminating them and putting in a flip backcooler seat for more storage. For those holes I taped them over, then poured gel coat in the holes, then used git rot. When I took the tape off I had nice, flush gel coat . I will re glass with 1 coat regular glass, then a coat of roving.... more to come!

4/13/2009 - Finished!! 1 layer fiberglass cloth, 1 layer fiberglass roving.

April 15th is right around the corner.......

April 03, 2009, 03:10:31 AM
Reply #24

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 03:10:31 AM »
April 2nd, 2009 progress...
I am still holding out for warmer weather to help dry out my deck before i move forward on to the Git Rot. In the mean time ive been working on some other stuff. I pulled all the teak off, cleaned it with 2 part cleaner and am in the process of laying a couple clats of Sikkens Cetol. I love that stuff! The teak looks amazing. Heres it with just the first coat:

That square box in the foreground is one of my creations. On the center console of the 78 and 79's you have a dual drink holder and a useless bin area under it. I removed the cup holders and fabricated this bin out of teak to bolt in its place there.

4/14/2009 finished teak. Sikkens Cetol is the best! You are nuts not to use it.

This has been dry for a week... look at the shine!

next, I wanted to eliminate buckets from being on the deck. They always seemed to be in my way. Dangerous! So being I relocated the batteries, I decided to put the battery compartments to good use and make an insertable bin to act as a bait bucket. I have finished all the rough fiberglass work and tomorrow I will start the finishing work to make it presentable.

I would like to point out that I am not a professional fabricator. I am a REALTOR. I encourage anyone reading this to try anything you want. Dont think you can do fiberglass???? Guess again! Youve been doing it since childhood.... if youve ever done paper machet in school then you can do fiberglass. same principle... cut the material, drench it in resin, lay the material... let dry, sand, paint. You tube is also a big help. Any aspect of repair has multiple videos showing you how its done. Anyway, i look forward to getting these projects completed and posted here.

April 26, 2009, 01:10:49 AM
Reply #25

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 01:10:49 AM »
just finished up the port battery box bait bucket insert... came out pretty nice for an amateur. I used interlux bilgecoat as the paint.

April 26, 2009, 12:48:41 PM
Reply #26

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 12:48:41 PM »
:thumleft:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

April 28, 2009, 12:16:35 PM
Reply #27

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 12:16:35 PM »
More progress....

Starbord side Trash Net

Center console coming along nicely!

April 28, 2009, 04:05:53 PM
Reply #28

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 04:05:53 PM »
Talking about an overhaul :shock:   Great job on all the work :salut:   I keep my batteries under my console, but would love to have those inserts on the stern for extra storage.  How about go ahead and ship me two of those :lol:
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

May 05, 2009, 05:56:03 PM
Reply #29

DOCREED

• Information Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 05:56:03 PM »
And... if you get  t-top. get an enclosure as well.  It makes a world of difference when it gets cold or it is raining.
89 250 CCP
full transom
Twin Merc 150\'s......thirsty?  YES they are.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal