You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Loading my 245 osprey on float-on trailer  (Read 1019 times)

August 24, 2015, 06:35:33 PM
Read 1019 times

Sodcutter

• Information Offline
Loading my 245 osprey on float-on trailer
« on: August 24, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »
Guys and girls, looking for some advice if anyone has ever run across this before. Little background first. Just purchased this 245 osprey with twin 150 evinrudes back in October last year. Been doing some cosmetic work and still planning to re gelcoat sometime soon. Have made a few trips so far this summer just getting the feel for the boat and am having some difficulty loading. been doing this all my life but this is my first experience with a float-on trailer. My problem is I am having a time getting it to stay on the bow roller. This last trip, I loaded and pulled right up to within a foot of the roller, hooked up and winched all the way to where the bow eye was right to the bottom of the roller tight like it should be. When I pulled out, it is no longer against the roller but roughly 2 inches away. No matter how far in the water I put trailer or how shallow, it always does the same thing and therefore end up with the bow bouncing all the way home. Anyone ever run into this problem before?
R. Tetterton
99 Osprey 245 tournament
99 Twin 150 Evinrudes
"Sodcutter"

August 24, 2015, 06:43:01 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Loading my 245 osprey on float-on trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »
Welcome SC :salut2:
I have the same problem - I have a strap and it tightens up on the winch leaving it back a couple inches.  One idea is to have a keeper chain that is hooked around the winch post and you can hook into the eye so it can't slide back. Problem will be that you have to back the trailer in a little more than normal to release the pressure on the chain so you can unhook it.  I have this on mine.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 24, 2015, 07:56:40 PM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:56:40 PM »
Common problem with some hulls.
My CCP did this all the time.
My 210 WAC, not much.

Work around is not hard, especially with a two person crew.

Load up just like you described above. Now pull forward a few feet and crank up the slack. You may find that you need to do this several times on certain occasions. Less on others. Somewhat of a PITA but a solution that requires no additional work on the trailer (my opinion on why this happens). Did this for 14 years without mishap on my CCP so.....

Next time out give it a try and see if this is acceptable to you. It will definitely get and keep the bow on the roller.

Good luck. 

]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

August 25, 2015, 07:12:44 PM
Reply #3

Thunderyacht

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:12:44 PM »
Common problem with some hulls.
My CCP did this all the time.
My 210 WAC, not much.

Work around is not hard, especially with a two person crew.

Load up just like you described above. Now pull forward a few feet and crank up the slack. You may find that you need to do this several times on certain occasions. Less on others. Somewhat of a PITA but a solution that requires no additional work on the trailer (my opinion on why this happens). Did this for 14 years without mishap on my CCP so.....

Next time out give it a try and see if this is acceptable to you. It will definitely get and keep the bow on the roller.

Good luck.
Yep as Bob has suggested. Get it to the first point and then pull the trailer ahead and crank again.  The issue is caused by the stern floating so the stern is up, once you pull ahead it drops the stern down. I have basically the same boat, a 250 Osprey with the twin Evinrude 150s. I launch and recover my boat alone most of the time. I bought some spray silicone and after the bunks are dry after a day on the water I spray the bunks with silicone heavily, let it dry and wallah a slick surface. I don't have to back in as far and the boat slides right up. Don't unhook your strap prior to backing down the ramp if you use the silicone treatment, I've had mine start sliding before I was ready!
2001 Osprey 250 Tournament Edition
Twin 01 Evinrude 150s

August 25, 2015, 08:04:25 PM
Reply #4

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:04:25 PM »
Try the chain. It works well, nothing is going to slide back with that baby attached.  Just need enough room in the eye.  If you use a single strap it should be no problem. I use a doubled tow strap for my strap (HF) and with 2 hooks that doesn't leave much room for much else. (I fold the strap in half around the bolt in the winch and it leaves both hook ends to attach to the boat)
Reason I went to a doubled tow strap was my single strap broke trying to get that last few inches and the boat took off and started to head across the canal - I somehow was able to grab the railing and pull myself up onto the front of the boat (terror strength?) and I started the boat before it crashed.
No more single strap for me.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 25, 2015, 10:03:30 PM
Reply #5

Sodcutter

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 10:03:30 PM »
I was thinking at first I had the trailer in too deep and the stern was still floating as I pulled up ramp but Have tried at several depths with same result. The chain is ok but it ends up so tight I have to float the stern to get it back loose. Great info though, thx Rick! I think I am going to try some cable and turn buckle so I can at least loosen it. Use to have something similar to that on my old mako years ago. Gonna try the double strap deal as well, shes a heavy beast. Thanks again Rick!
R. Tetterton
99 Osprey 245 tournament
99 Twin 150 Evinrudes
"Sodcutter"

August 25, 2015, 10:15:53 PM
Reply #6

Sodcutter

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 10:15:53 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys will definitely try all to find a happy medium, just going to take some trial and error I guess. I do use a chain currently just hook it as tight as I can. Will figure it out now that I no i'm not the only one that has run into this before. Just don't like going down the road with that thing not on the bow roller. Thx again guys!
R. Tetterton
99 Osprey 245 tournament
99 Twin 150 Evinrudes
"Sodcutter"

August 26, 2015, 07:43:45 AM
Reply #7

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 07:43:45 AM »
No more single strap for me.

Sounds like a belt with suspenders.

Might a single strap with a higher capacity rating do the same or.......

Maybe it's time to put the hull on a diet? :mrgreen:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

November 23, 2018, 11:49:12 AM
Reply #8

Mack

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »
I too have experienced the problem of the boat slipping back several inches off the bow roller when you pull the boat up the ramp.  Here is my solution: Run the boat snug against the bow roller and leave the motor in forward with just enough throttle to hold the bow snug against the roller.  I then climb on to the trailer from the bow and draw the winch strap up as tight as possible.  Board the boat again, place the engine in neutral, turn off and raise engine. When you pull the boat out, you will find that the bow is snug against the roller.     
Mack  "Flamingo Kid"
Original Owner of 1982 170 Osprey
2003 140HP Suzuki

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal