Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Mahogany vs. Teak  (Read 3870 times)

March 23, 2005, 11:30:00 AM
Read 3870 times

Seadog

• Information Offline
Mahogany vs. Teak
« on: March 23, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »
Will be adding some mahogany to my console when the time comes. I've got a lot of pieces of mahogany now and wanted to see if it will weather as well as teak. With teak at $17 - 20$ a BF want to avoid the expense if possible.  Anyone know the best way to treat mahogany or how it stands up vs. teak?
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.
Should spash her in the summer.
Just don\'t know which summer.

March 23, 2005, 12:55:25 PM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 12:55:25 PM »
Seadog,  Mahogany needs to be painted or varnished.  Unfinished mahogany checks and curls. Looks ratty as hell.

If you varnish, use a filler/stain such as Interlux Red Mahogany on the finely sanded raw wood.  This brings out the color of the wood, fills the grain and will keep it from bleaching out in the FL sun.  Next, use a top quality spar varnish with UV inhibitors such as Z-Spar Captain's varnish.  Put down 10-12 coats min.  Scuff with fine bronze wool between coats.

Sounds like and is a lot of work but the results are worth it.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

March 23, 2005, 04:02:41 PM
Reply #2

Seadog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 04:02:41 PM »
Hey thanks Jim! I love the look of finished mahogany. When I get this part done, (if I can ever get the time), I'll take some pix and show you how it came out. Thanks again!
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.

March 23, 2005, 04:54:04 PM
Reply #3

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 04:54:04 PM »
The satisfaction with the results of your efforts will be the reward.   Also, a touch of varnish trim here & there sort of takes the curse off a plastic boat (if I may be allowed to say so).

We had a wood sailboat (Concordia 39') for years in our family which had varnished mahogany cabin sides, cockpit coaming, deck lockers, hatches, masts, booms, etc.... There's a reason they call wooden boats varnish farms!  The last 15 years I varnished every square inch myself.

As far as maintenence where you are in Fl with the intense sun, after you've got the first 10-12 coats on, plan on wet sanding with 220 wet-dry and putting on a fresh coat about every 2-3 months.  That way you'll keep her gleaming!

Send pix of your work in progress too...
Have fun!  :D
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

March 24, 2005, 09:20:48 AM
Reply #4

Radioshop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 09:20:48 AM »
In an effort to restore my sanity, without overly taxing my mind, I've been restoring one of those cast iron and, wood park benches.  I know, they sell for what, $75 at Home Depot?  What can I say, it's been good therapy.  Did I mention it came out of a trash pile? I have about $100 into this project to include paint, SS hardware and, lumber.  The lumber I'm using for the bench slats is called Ipe (pronounced e-pay).   It's a hardwood that looks similar to teak and, I do mean it's a hardwood.  Get your carbide bits out.  I will caution you the stuff is heavy.  If you're going to use it sparingly for trim and, such the weight won't be a factor.  I understand there's no critter alive that can eat the stuff and, it's got a really dense grain that lends itself to tung oil.  I understand it doesn't have to be varnished, so I'm not.  When it's wet, I think it looks like teak.  Sanding is a bit of a chore, but once it's done I don't believe there's too much more to do.  My fiancee has taken over sanding duties and adamantly refuses to use my super expensive Porter-Cable jitterbug.  She's gone from a 180 grit, to a 220 with a wet 320.  The finish is glass smooth.  I hope she's this enamoured with sanding when it comes time to do gelcoat.  I believe you could machine sand it and, get the same results.  I'll probably never know until she gets tired of sanding.  I bought two 5/4's 1x6x8's and if memory serves, the bill was around $40.
1973 22.2 Osprey - Sand Bar II
Miamuh, Florida

March 24, 2005, 10:28:09 AM
Reply #5

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 10:28:09 AM »
HANG ONTO THAT GAL & treat her right!  If she likes to sand, she's a gem!

That wood is being sold up here for outside decks & pool surrounds.  Heavy ain't the word for it!  Stuff's supposed to be better than teak.  After you re-plank that bench you might not be able to move it...
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

March 24, 2005, 10:31:42 AM
Reply #6

Argo

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 10:31:42 AM »
I had teak on my AS and I hated it.  I refinished it, took a week to do it, and withing 2 weeks the sun had dried it out to almost what it looked like before I started.  I painted the wood and will be going to starboard whenever my rebuild gets going.

March 24, 2005, 10:37:46 AM
Reply #7

Seadog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 10:37:46 AM »
Always liked the looks of wood on a boat. I've always admired the craftmanship in these mahogany runabouts. Must be some skilled hands that put these together.  Don't see any in Fla.  Can't beat the look though.

1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.

March 24, 2005, 11:54:11 AM
Reply #8

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 11:54:11 AM »
No question teak takes a fair amount of maintenance to keep it looking good, but if you do neglect it, it won't go to hell like mahogany.

Those old Chris Crafts, Gar Woods, Hackers etc., were likely maintained by the paid help.  After you've bought one, you're sorely mistaken if you think you own it.  Truly, it owns you.

The invention of fiberglass boats (and boat financing) put boating within reach of a lot of people.  The AS rebuilds we're seeing are being done on boats which, some of them, haven't seen a lick of maintenance since they were built.  A wood boat without maintenance for 30 years would be fit only as potting soil.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

March 24, 2005, 05:26:59 PM
Reply #9

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 05:26:59 PM »
Okay, try not to laugh too hard (you might hurt yourselves) when reading this.  This is what I did and still do.
On my 170 I have a wooden "cover" on the anchor locker access hole at the front and there is a wooden panel that closes in the aft end of the raised deck storage in the front of the boat.  This wood panel is the part of the storage locker that closes it in and you can turn 2 latches and remove it. (still not quite sure the reason they did this...) I'm sure that it is a standard thing on your AS's too, if you look at JimCT's boat in front of the consiole you can see this panel that I'm talking about but his doesn't look like wood - mine is.  His anchor access panel is wood like mine.
I can't remember what the ones that were there when I got the boat were made of, but pretty sure that if they were teak they still be there had they been in decent shape.  
Anyway, I replaced both of them with Brazilian mahogany and didn't know how to finish them (there wasn't a knowledgeable forum like this then :wink: ) so I sanded them down and coated them with teak oil.  Then I wiped off the excess and stuck them in the boat.  Looked beautiful.  
They do fade out and get dark but the beauty of this is I can resand both with 180 on a jitterbug sander and re-oil and have them back in the boat in 10 minutes.
You can stop laughin now...  :roll:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

March 24, 2005, 07:32:56 PM
Reply #10

Seadog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 07:32:56 PM »
RickK - that's not bad at all, I think I got that one beat: on my 17'  Whaler I added a 'plank' across the boat that sat on the gunnels and ran across the beam, right in front of the engine.  

Another 'temporary measure' until I had the time or money to do it better.

12" wide. A place to sit down or stand on and throw a cast net. Works great but I made it out of long leaf pine. PINE!  

For a 'soft' wood this stuff is hard as granite, put 3 coats of varnish on it and it still looks great after 3 years of use.

Ever heard of any other nin-kum-pop's using pine in a boat?
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.

March 24, 2005, 08:09:50 PM
Reply #11

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 08:09:50 PM »
For what its worth, I found this on the net:

Name: Brazilian Mahogany.

Sources: West Africa e.g. Nigeria, Ghana.

Colour: Pink to dark reddish brown.

Advantages: There is a large supply of this hardwood. It is available in wide and long boards. It is fairly easy to work, is fairly strong, has medium weight, is durable and finishes well.

Disadvantages: It warps quite easily.

Uses: Furniture, shop fitting, floors, veneers, joinery. Because the term Mahogany covers a variety of timbers the colours and working properties of each individual type may vary. Sapele and Utile are types of mahogany.

Regarding Long Leaf Pine, that's been used both for hull & deck planking for years.  It's really nothing like the White Pine used in furniture or like the trim wood you see at Home Depot.  It has a very high oil or pitch content I think which preserves it.  Used for house siding too.  Tough stuff!

I'm sure as hell not laughing.  I'm admiring.  :D
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

March 24, 2005, 08:22:40 PM
Reply #12

Seadog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 08:22:40 PM »
Jim - I've seen long leaf pine used in floors, sideing and old furniture but never in any marine application.  Good to know!

I met a guy who builds and repairs pool tables for a living. He uses a lot of Brazilian mahogany, I buy up the scraps he has left over. Lots of small stuff - 4/4 3-8" wide by 24 to 96" long.  The best pieces he had are 12/4 8" to 12" wide and 24" long.

Mahogany is a great wood to work with, tight grain, machines out well and easy to sand.

Every time he calls I go over and buy up all he's got.
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.

March 25, 2005, 05:20:56 AM
Reply #13

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 05:20:56 AM »
Seadog, I think I've seen at least one of those Chris-Craft wooden boats here in Sarasota running around (HQ is here, so made here?).  I'd hate to have to pay for one though. :cry: Probably owned by a retiree here; there's a lot of money in this town, just not in my pockets.

I remember a board going across my buddies 17' whaler too, probably wasn't pine though.  I think his was factory.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

March 26, 2005, 10:13:51 AM
Reply #14

Seadog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2005, 10:13:51 AM »
Rick - got the idea of the board on another forum from a picture. Looked like a good idea and it's worked out very well. I know they were factory installed on some 17' models. Mines 2.5" thick and has held up a  lot better than I thought it would.

Those old wooden runabouts must be like Jim said - they own you. I give those guys a lot of credit to keep their wooden boats lookin sharp.
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal