You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Rainwater in Bilge  (Read 1068 times)

May 25, 2017, 12:46:32 PM
Read 1068 times

MPKehoe09

• Information Offline
Rainwater in Bilge
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:46:32 PM »
First off, is it normal to accumulate rainwater in your bilge? I'm on my second season with my new-to-me 1998 175 Osprey.
I'm still in the process of replacing a number of items that are original to the boat, and may be causing my issues.

I keep the boat trailered, so the boat is never in the water longer than 8 or 10 hrs.
After each use, and while still on the inclined ramp, after pulling my drain plug, a steady stream of water drains for about 15 seconds.

I had always thought that a through-hull had a slight leak, or a hose clamp needed to be tightened.

However, now I'm inclined to think that the water is entering from above the waterline, particularly through my deck plates/inspection hatches.
With a 115hp and topside 12 gallon tank near the transom, the second I walk aft, the scuppers are submerged and the old scupper flaps let water in.

I'm beginning to think that the water on the deck is making its way into the bilge through a failing deck plate, rather then a leak below the water line.

In addition, I'm noticing water collecting beneath the deck to the starboard side of the console, where a deck plate gives access to the fuel filler line and a through-hull.
This area concerns me as the water collects in a section of the hulls foam and completely saturates the foam.

Prior to a recent rain event, on the trailer, I plugged my scuppers and kept the drain plug in.
After the storm, there was a substantial amount of water in my bilge.
Again, I'm thinking that the water the pooled by the scuppers, made it's way into the bilge through the old deck plate.

I have since ordered new ball-valve scuppers to replace the rubber flaps, and I've ordered new deck plate/hatches.
I plan to use 4200 to seal around my new scuppers and deck plates.

Given these anticipated replacements, should I expect to have a dry bilge?
Or will water always find a way to work its way into the bilge?

Next season, I plan to keep the boat in a slip, but even though I have a bilge pump/float switch, I want to eliminate as much water as possible from entering the bilge.
A self-bailing decks give me more reassurance, rather than relying on a bilge pump where a number of things can go wrong.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Mike

May 25, 2017, 03:23:26 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Rainwater in Bilge
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 03:23:26 PM »
First off, is it normal to accumulate rainwater in your bilge?

In every Aqua I have owned, I have found water in the bilge after use and after a rain event when on the trailer. I'm going with normal.

After each use, and while still on the inclined ramp, after pulling my drain plug, a steady stream of water drains for about 15 seconds.

Me too. Sometimes more than others depending on sea conditions that trip.

I had always thought that a through-hull had a slight leak, or a hose clamp needed to be tightened.

Wouldn't hurt to check. :idea:

However, now I'm inclined to think that the water is entering from above the waterline, particularly through my deck plates/inspection hatches.

If you have a bow rail, unless you have resealed the fasteners, you would be surprised as to the amount of water that gets by those screws.

I have since ordered new ball-valve scuppers to replace the rubber flaps, and I've ordered new deck plate/hatches. I plan to use 4200 to seal around my new scuppers and deck plates.

Can't hurt. :ScrChin:

Given these anticipated replacements, should I expect to have a dry bilge?
Or will water always find a way to work its way into the bilge?

Yes.
I only say this because unless you isolate the hull from the deck and liner, water will find its way down. You can greatly reduce it and possibly eliminate it temporarily but time and use along with water's tenacity to find its way into the smallest of openings, will eventually collect in a hull's lowest point.

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 25, 2017, 03:55:55 PM
Reply #2

MPKehoe09

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 03:55:55 PM »
Thanks for the insight.
Glad you mentioned that about the bow rail fasteners.

On a similar note, I just pulled out my rub rail insert because some of the screw holding the channel were backing out.
Now that I have access to all the screws, I should probably back them all out, and re-seal.

My goal is too keep as much water out of the hull, but it's probably too late given that any exposed foam is already super-saturated.

May 25, 2017, 05:25:49 PM
Reply #3

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »
Mike-I have have the same boat and I've also been fighting the same battle against water in the bilge.  The first big thing is you don't have rod holder caps, water is going right into your stern rod holders down into the bilge.  I bought perko caps for this, that's one easy thing.  Also, water will go right around your stern hatches and into the bilge.  I have yet to fix that one.    Can we see a picture of the hatch on the starboard side of the console leading to the fuel fill line?  I don't think I have that.

One way to test is to tape paper bags under all hatches and access points, and fill water in the boat.  When water gets through it will soak the bags and stain them, and you can see where water is getting in.  It really is amazing how much one un-sealed screw hole can let through.

Also out of curiosity-why running on a remote tank?
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

May 25, 2017, 06:10:24 PM
Reply #4

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
The remote tank is not helping your aft CG making your scuppers problem worse.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

May 25, 2017, 08:58:09 PM
Reply #5

MPKehoe09

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 08:58:09 PM »
I spent some time down at the boat after work, and i've confirmed that both deck plates are leaking quite heavily.
Replacement deck plates are on order and hope to have them in this weekend.

CTsalt12, I've attached some pictures of the additional deck plate to the starboard side of the console.
This area concerned me the most since the water drips directly onto exposed foam.
I hoping that the new plate and some 4200 will make this watertight.

As far as the rod holders, I actually saw online an end cap with a hose barb that you put on the rod holder to drain the water.
I'll put a small impact drain low on the gunwale to drain any water onto the (self-bailing) deck.
http://thmarine.com/rod-holder-base-drain-cap

I've also pin-pointed the rear storage compartments as another source, but figured any water infiltration would be minimal.
Since the lid has some weight to it, I may experiment with weather stripping, or a gasket of sorts.
If all else fails, I may attempt to create a silicone "curb" around the perimeter, preventing water from getting under the lip of the storage bin.

Lastly, the reason for my top side fuel tanks is due to the previous owners modifications to the tank.
The sending unit likely rusted out and couldn't remove do to stripped fasteners.
It seems like he cut the old sending unit out, and epoxied a cap over the hole.
Until I can have the tank pressure tested, replace the fuel lines and get a new sending unit installed, I'm using a topside tank for the time being.
Previous owner said it was functional, but want to make sure.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

September 12, 2019, 09:44:31 PM
Reply #6

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:44:31 PM »
I know that this is an old post, not even sure if you still own the boat. Were you ever able to keep the water out?  Also, deck plates... do you have to order new plates or just the gasket? Does anyone have a part number for deck plates or the gasket?
1999 Osprey 175

September 23, 2019, 01:55:08 PM
Reply #7

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 01:55:08 PM »
Ended up ordering new deck plate o-rings, think I paid 30$.

Found them online searching
O-Ring For Rabud Pry-Up Deck Plate 8R
O-Ring For Rabud Pry-Up Deck Plate 6R
O-Ring For Rabud Pry-Up Deck Plate 4R

Still would like to know how the OP made out.

1999 Osprey 175

December 26, 2019, 09:50:05 AM
Reply #8

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 09:50:05 AM »
I will add here, I added gaskets on my stern hatches in the corners of the boat.  This helps quite a bit in keeping water out, and the noise reduction is great too. 

I am still having a bit of rainwater though.  Can't figure it out.  Completely resealed my bow hatch, bow light, and bow grab rails last year.  Going to re-seal/replace my stern pie plates and re-seal my rod holders this season and see how that goes.
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

March 03, 2020, 04:47:20 PM
Reply #9

kingfisher24

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 04:47:20 PM »
Always have water on top of the sender (aft) end of my poly fuel tank under the pie plate.  Looking to replace all my 6" and 8" plate o-rings. Any mfg better fit/quality than others?  I have seen Rabud and Beckson.

Thanks for any help.

March 09, 2020, 08:55:25 PM
Reply #10

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 08:55:25 PM »
Not to hack your thread, but I’ll add a question.
 Has anyone tried butyl tape, In addition or instead of silicone (or whatever your sealant of choice is like 3M 4000)? 

As aside, I will add that when it comes to longevity and better sealing properties, I’ve had better luck with standard marine silicone than the 4200.  Seems to fill gaps better and doesn’t get moldy and just plain holds up better. 
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal