You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Email Notice of Replies and Messages an Option?  (Read 890 times)

September 25, 2014, 09:35:24 AM
Read 890 times

daniel123

• Information Offline
Email Notice of Replies and Messages an Option?
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »
Does CAS have the capability of alerting those of us who post a question on the site, to be contacted via email when someone has replied? I am rigging a PWC for fishing and joined a PWC owners' site similar to CAS and they email me an alert and a link to the site/thread to click on whenever anyone responds to my questions, and it's been very helpful in keeping up with the dialogue exchange. I find that having to log on to CAS to learn if I have any messages or replies sometimes causes me to miss or delay my own replies, and I see instances of other members apologizing for late replies, etc. because they had not logged on for a period of time and didn't know there were replies or messages pending and going unseen. Just wondering if that's an option for our (excellent) site.

September 25, 2014, 10:20:31 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Email Notice of Replies and Messages an Option?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »
The short answer is yes.

You need to "subscribe" to the forum or individual thread you want to be notified on. You also need to supply an email address for same in your "profile". This option has always existed but had been disabled for a long time due to spammers. I do know the PM notification is running because I get them constantly (hate mail you know :mrgreen: ) but I myself have never used the subscription option.  I'm sure Rick will respond to this later today and probably say I'm wrong (or I finally got one right).

In the mean time, I'm going to do my first subscription to one of the rebuild threads and see if indeed I receive an email notice like I do for PMs.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 25, 2014, 05:21:47 PM
Reply #2

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:21:47 PM »
Go to USER CONTROL PANEL > BOARD PREFERENCES > EDIT POSTING DEFAULTS > NOTIFY ME UPON REPLIES BY DEFAULT: Select "Yes"

Then you wont have to manually subscribe to each thread, you will automatically be notified of any replies by default.
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

September 25, 2014, 07:22:05 PM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
And don't forget to check your spam/Junk mail folder - I have some applicants that never reply to the email I send to them and I'm betting they only use a phone and never check their junk mail folder (do you?).  So they think I ignored them when in fact I replied the day they applied.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

September 25, 2014, 09:37:22 PM
Reply #4

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:37:22 PM »
Quote from: "MarshMarlowe196"
Go to USER CONTROL PANEL > BOARD PREFERENCES > EDIT POSTING DEFAULTS > NOTIFY ME UPON REPLIES BY DEFAULT: Select "Yes"

Then you wont have to manually subscribe to each thread, you will automatically be notified of any replies by default.

What Jessie said...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 25, 2014, 10:00:49 PM
Reply #5

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"

What Jessie said...

Assuming you want to be notified of anything posted about any topic. Daniel made it sound like he was looking only for specific threads as in one where he has posted hoping for a response. That way, he doesn't have to check everyday he receives an email to see if it was his or other threads being responded too, I believe.

Otherwise, he may as well just check the Forum everyday, no????
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 26, 2014, 07:59:45 AM
Reply #6

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:59:45 AM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
Quote from: "seabob4"

What Jessie said...

Assuming you want to be notified of anything posted about any topic. Daniel made it sound like he was looking only for specific threads as in one where he has posted hoping for a response. That way, he doesn't have to check everyday he receives an email to see if it was his or other threads being responded too, I believe.

Otherwise, he may as well just check the Forum everyday, no????

A little search of the phpB site helps. :idea:

So I'll now get an email (we'll see) whenever someone replies to any post I have replied to. Makes better sense unless you're just interested in a specific thread.
Learn something new every day. :cheers:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 26, 2014, 12:00:28 PM
Reply #7

daniel123

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 12:00:28 PM »
That's good to hear a great info guys, even if it does give me a bit of a brain cramp. I'll try it, but first I'm going through my junk file for the first time in, um, months...

September 26, 2014, 05:23:28 PM
Reply #8

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 05:23:28 PM »
Yup CB, you know what they say - when in doubt RTFM - Read The Friendly Manual  :lol:
Rick

January 08, 2015, 08:18:17 PM
Reply #9

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 08:18:17 PM »
To bring this around and close it - to set yourself up for notifications on topics you start or replies you post on other topics, there is a setting in your profile to do that. 
If you find that you are getting alerts because you had the checkbox checked unknowingly, uncheck the box and go to the topic that you are getting alerts to and at the bootom of the topic there is a "Unnotify" button at the bottom.
You can also subscribe (get emails) to topics and even forums by going to the bottom of each and clicking a "Notify" button.
SMF is very user friendly and very simple. (Hence the name - Simple Machine Forums)
Rick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal