Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 87 222 Rebuild  (Read 4203 times)

August 09, 2019, 01:09:41 AM
Read 4203 times

Hooked-On-Shenanigans

• Information Offline
87 222 Rebuild
« on: August 09, 2019, 01:09:41 AM »
Hey all, first Aquasport rebuild for me. This forum is awesome and filled with a ton of great ideas! I'm in the Tampa area, so the plan is building it out to a rock solid tarpon boat. I may keep this boat when its done and charter it instead of using my larger offshore Cobia,  or sell her and re do another, so I want to use composite all the way.
 I picked up this hull in Georgia about 2 weeks ago. She was in pretty good shape besides a few gouges in the hull that were semi-repaired. $1500 later, i'm now part of the Aquasport club  :danceSm: .

I work pretty fast, so my plan is to have this boat finished up no later than the end of the year, but we all know how that goes. I take a ton of pictures, I know that helps inspire others and makes it enjoyable to follow along. 

Here's the build-out plan:
-2" Coosa composite transom.
-Adding 3" to the deck so she'll drain right.
-Nidacore deck.
-Closed in transom with a Porta-bracket.
-Dual station tower.
-Still deciding on keeping casting deck or build new.
-Build a mold and glass a new console or modify original.

Here we go:
( trust me.. i made sure i didn't go right thru the hull  :lolG:)

Transom was basically mushy cardboard at this point

This was the easiest transom tear-out ever!

chunks of rot in the stringers/ transom area; who's hungry?  :lol:

Transom was pretty much 40% maggots  :puker:

Further inspection this foam is beyond saturated, stringers most likely the same.

Popped the cap off to get at the liner.

decided to just remove the liner for good.

Casting deck didn't want to pop off easily.

Stringer foam was soaked at the bottom.

Foam removed. Used my pressure washer with the 0 degree nozzle. Cuts like butter & i found that a flat roofing shovel works better than a spade shovel.  :great02:

Pressure washed the entire inside, shop vac'd out all the dirt and small foam pieces. Clean slate!

Minimal stringer delamination thankfully.

Previously repaired gouges in the hull, definitely needs to be re-done properly.

This one not so bad:

from the inside: There was a small block of rotted plywood in there. Definitely screwed in place and glassed in from the outside at one point, until the screws rusted out. 

as of Aug 8th I have everything stripped down and sanded. I Picked up all my supplies at FGCI in Saint Pete, except the transom core materials. I am ready to roll with the transom install, but finding the board is a bit of a challenge around Tampa!

Glad to be here!   

August 09, 2019, 07:54:26 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 87 222 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:54:26 AM »
 :welcome01: HoS.  That's some quick progress.  :thumleft:
What is the plan for the transom? Are you going to change it to a full transom? What material are you looking to use for the transom core?
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 09, 2019, 08:44:58 AM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »
What is the plan for the transom? Are you going to change it to a full transom? What material are you looking to use for the transom core?

From above:

Here's the build-out plan:
-2" Coosa composite transom.
-Adding 3" to the deck so she'll drain right.
-Nidacore deck.
-Closed in transom with a Porta-bracket.
-Dual station tower.
-Still deciding on keeping casting deck or build new.
-Build a mold and glass a new console or modify original.

It doesn't appear the hull is laterally supported (cap removed). Did you take measurements to get it all back together?

Good luck. :thumright:

]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

August 09, 2019, 11:50:25 AM
Reply #3

TooLoose

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 11:50:25 AM »
Awesome - cant wait to see this one progress.

August 10, 2019, 12:13:48 AM
Reply #4

Hooked-On-Shenanigans

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 12:13:48 AM »
Capt.Bob , I threw the cap back on today just to make sure everything is still in line. Everything is looking good. Planning on building a few 2x4 supports this weekend and put them across the top.

RickK, 2 inch Coosa is the plan. Will probably be hanging a 200 on the bac, so want a little more thickness than 1.5". 

August 10, 2019, 12:26:48 AM
Reply #5

Hooked-On-Shenanigans

• Information Offline
Materials
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 12:26:48 AM »
Today I Managed to find a 4x8 sheet of 1" coosa at a marine surplus in sarasota. It had some dings, but worked the guy down to $200 for the sheet which was nice. Also got a deal on a roll of 1808. Not sure how many yards are there but at 178lbs , I think i have ample material  :13:

Really wish they had another sheet of the coosa. I need another sheet of 1". I cannot find a place locally that stocks it. Might be making a trip to South Florida for a distributor who has it. Unless anyone has a sheet they are looking to offload ?  :shrug:

Sheet was in decent shape

Roll-O'-Glass

Materials ready to go. 3 sheets of honeycomb for the floor and a sheet of coosa

August 10, 2019, 01:24:43 PM
Reply #6

BradC

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 01:24:43 PM »
FWIW ... I was taught that cinder block's integrity is weakened when laid side down ... ?

Going to be watching this build with interest, thanks for sharing  👍

August 11, 2019, 03:02:35 AM
Reply #7

Hooked-On-Shenanigans

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 03:02:35 AM »
BradC, yeah I forgot about that when offloading it from the trailer. I will probably pick up a trailer soon and transfer it to that, so the bricks wont be an issue as the build progresses. You can pick the hull up by yourself its so light now without all the extra weight from the saturated foam, etc.

August 19, 2019, 06:03:49 PM
Reply #8

Hooked-On-Shenanigans

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 06:03:49 PM »
Last Monday, took a trip over to the east coast. Merritt Supply in Pompano Beach for the other sheet of coosa ,  & trusty US composite in West Palm. Officially have all the materials. Kind of went gung-ho with the epoxy but rather have a lil extra when i really need it. Time to start glassing this week !

August 19, 2019, 06:58:15 PM
Reply #9

Tampa Bay Mike

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 06:58:15 PM »
Wow, that should get you started for sure! Is that another 1" sheet of coosa? Two inches plus the glass would make for a stout transom.

August 20, 2019, 06:12:30 AM
Reply #10

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 06:12:30 AM »
Picking up the supplies at US Composite will save a ton on frieght.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 21, 2019, 07:01:13 PM
Reply #11

Hooked-On-Shenanigans

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 07:01:13 PM »
Tampa Bay Mike, yessir another inch sheet. Will be 2" total core & with the outer and inner transom skins probably looking at 2.5" thick. With an extended bracket, i'd rather have more a little more strength than the usual 1.5".

RickK, you got that right. It's only a few hour drive from Tampa plus the shipping on another sheet of transom board would pretty much be the same as the price of the board in the first place.

September 30, 2019, 01:56:04 AM
Reply #12

Ulysses485

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 01:56:04 AM »
Looks to be coming along nicely! Looking forward to seeing the build progress. Thanks for sharing!

Ulysses
1974' 240 CC - https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=15975.0
1970’ Flatback 222 - https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=15666.0
1981’ Osprey 22-2 - https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=15249.0
1971’ Flatback 222 - SOLD
1972' 240 Seahunter - SOLD

December 07, 2019, 11:45:32 PM
Reply #13

Burgmane

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 11:45:32 PM »
Shenanigans...hope you continue to update the thread here as I will follow with great interest. I didn’t see the hull in person but I had gone back and forth with the previous owner about potentially coming up to take a look at it in South Georgia. If you would have dragged your feet another 2 weeks it would have been mine  :embar:

Happy to see it in the Tampa Bay Area where it belongs! Outstanding hull for our area. I don’t have any experience rebuilding boats but I’m looking at tackling a similar project soon. Good luck and keep us posted!

February 02, 2020, 01:19:25 AM
Reply #14

Hooked-On-Shenanigans

• Information Offline
update
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 01:19:25 AM »
Hey guys been a while!  :zzz: Got side tracked with a few things early on and have been cranking along nicely now. I have a ton of photos to upload so I am going to be updating this quite often now.

Picking up where I left off:   

got my roll set up and was off to the races

outer skin got 3 layers 4,8,12" overlap with 4 layers to build in the cutout.

dry fit

other 1" coosa sheet

2" total coosa sandwiched with a layer of 1808 and a ton of resin for a real good squeeze-out. had about 500lbs on there. Water weighs a lot  :mrgreen:

screw in diagonal corners so it wouldn't shimmy on me while it cured

trimmed the edges revealed a perfect bond

in goes mr transom. Started trowling on some fillet and got it bolted in place. It was a colder weekend so I left it bolted for about 3 days just to be sure. This is a hell of a job doing it solo  :thumright:

Pulled the bolts, off came the backer. looking good and strong as iron. A little filling to do eventually, for the most part it filled and layed flat mostly.

trimmed the excess and got the crown done. 1 3/4" of total crown. It will need to be sanded and rounded slightly before cap and bulkhead goes in. I did the crown after install because I wasn't sure how the piece was going to lay in ( a bottom corner was not rounded as good as the other side so it sat slightly higher) otherwise i would have had to compensate the cap with fillets.

Didn't get too many pics of the inner skin going in. 3 layers of 1808 tabbed 2,4,6" and an additional corner tab 6" overlap. I'd estimate the transom is between 2 1/4"- 2 1/2" at this point with all the layers & core. It's real rigid. Oh, did i mention how much resin 1808 drinks?  :drool: 

built a template for the transom brace

and for the angle of the stringer extension molds

installed some molds for the foam pour

glassing the stringer extensions. 6 layers total. snagged a roll of 1708 12" tape so im not chopping the giant roll

test fitting rigging tube

Put my drain tubes in across the stringers cut with the proper angle. I then set them in place with some fillet material and ran a bead around the outer and inner edges so its watertight & ready for the foam pour.

This hull had been beat up pretty good back in the day on a few spots on the port side. Sanded out an old repair job & bad glass. These were the only spots that required grinding out/ fresh glass as there was partial delam on the inside of hull. 

made a few quick backing plates So i had a form & no resin seeping out

6 layers for the damaged chine area within stringer. (did a test pour of foam and had to cut some back)  :roll:

did one long continuous piece for the 2 areas damaged towards the back. 6 layers as well overlapped

At this point I am ready to lay down my deck but need to find a fuel tank/ decide to reuse mine as well as how far to bring it forward. I will upload more pictures as soon as i have the time to get them uploaded

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal