You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Stringer repair advice sought 200 ccp  (Read 414 times)

December 29, 2018, 11:33:17 AM
Read 414 times

johnsjmc

• Information Offline
Stringer repair advice sought 200 ccp
« on: December 29, 2018, 11:33:17 AM »
I started cutting  a soft section from the deck forward of the console  to add the floor hatch over the hidden storage compartment  on a 1980 200 ccp. I discovered  a section of port side stringer which has let go . Advice sought about reinforcements.  I am thinking let it dry,put bonding putty under it and push it down as best I can with a couple 2x4 s wedged across to the other stringer,then add some roving strips to keep it on. Or should  I  cut off the flange and just reattach with some roving. The gap underneath the old flanges is about 1/2 ". I'm not prepared to pull up the whole floor as it's  way too much work .

December 29, 2018, 06:17:52 PM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Stringer repair advice sought 200 ccp
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 06:17:52 PM »
It’s best to grind back to clean glass.  That probably, but doesn’t always mean removing the flange. Then, you would add a fillet of thickened resin.  I used cabosil, wood flour and chopped fibers to make a putty for fillets. I wouldn’t mess with roving.  It’s hard to wet out, and there are stronger options.  Two layers of Biax 1708 will be stronger than a layer of 24 oz roving, and easier to work with. 

While you’ve got the section of deck removed, try to check the stringers as far back as you can see.  It’s doubtful that the forward hull deformed away from the stringer, so I’d be concerned that the stringers have separated further aft too.    Mine were separated aft, but well bonded forward.  If you post photos, we can probably advise you better.

December 30, 2018, 09:43:36 AM
Reply #2

johnsjmc

• Information Offline
Re: Stringer repair advice sought 200 ccp
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 09:43:36 AM »
I can only see a few inches  up beside the tank coffin and forward beside the underfloor secret storage coffin forward. I can't  see or reach very far. I have about 3x5 section of floor open just forward  of the console and am going to reattach  what I can see .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal