Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 1976 Aquasport 196 Slow Build  (Read 1641 times)

February 18, 2017, 05:47:26 PM
Read 1641 times

captjwteal

• Information Offline
1976 Aquasport 196 Slow Build
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:47:26 PM »
Ok, so not quite ready to get going as I'm trying to get my shed finished out for her spot. Need $'s for Galvalume for the roof & 6/10 for the floor, but got it framed anyway with some leaky tin.

I was of course having a rum & coke this afternoon and couldn't help but sit out there trying to plan my first cut. Of course I have a question pertaining to the first cut. I've read many a rebuild threads and seen many a pic but no explanations on how to cut the recess of the trough to leave my lip for deck replacement. Plan on cutting what I can with a skill saw then cut off wheel and jig saw where needed. Once I get the floor up its out the with the old wet stuff stringers included if necessary. Plan to build the transom up just haven't made my final decision as to 25" or full transom though I lean to the full transom.

As to the transom, I have some blisters on the starboard side outboard plan to sand that down to clean skin and dig the old core out from the inside.

I'm glad those two steps alone are free except for my labor as I'm broke.

She's in pretty good shape for her age, really good looking hull no gouges etc, only a couple of small spider cracks in cap around covering board, hardly any necessary hole drilled in her and a couple of soft spots on the deck, casting deck seems pretty solid. Console is not attached and reportedly there is a new fuel tank in the last 3 years, fuel tank cover is well sealed and looks fairly fresh.

I've been on a few forums but you guys well yawl are downright the most hospitable I've ever come across thank you.

Any links to transom rebuild leaving the outside skin as well as thoughts on the trough cutting when cutting out the deck much appreciated.

well, it can't get too calm to scare me...

February 19, 2017, 05:00:53 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 1976 Aquasport 196 Slow Build
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:00:53 AM »
So, you are planning on leaving the cable trough from the console back to the transom?  When I replaced the floor in my 170 back in the late 90s I cut around the perimeter and left 2" including around the trough.  Then I laid the new floor on top of the lip and screwed in a 1x2 at the same new height along the liner side of the trough so that the lid had something to screw into.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

February 19, 2017, 08:20:27 AM
Reply #2

captjwteal

• Information Offline
Re: 1976 Aquasport 196 Slow Build
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:20:27 AM »
Thanks Rick answered my question and I did find a good pic of the cut off lip in trough. I am doing away with the tough just wasn't sure how to cut that area and what type of build up to level it with rest of the deck. I plan to build new deck up probably an inch myself so will have to level lip before taking new sole in as well. Thanks for making it clear in my head.
well, it can't get too calm to scare me...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal