Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 1998 - 19'-6" Osprey Leak -- Please Help Troubleshoot  (Read 1748 times)

October 05, 2010, 01:10:58 PM
Reply #15

Keith Knecht

• Information Offline
    • http://MinnowsandMonsters.com
Re: 1998 - 19'-6" Osprey Leak -- Please Help Troubleshoot
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 01:10:58 PM »
Not familiar with that late model Osprey but is there a chance that the baitwell itself could be leaking into the bilge?  I know that a number of boats have a baitwell that is more than one piece and is "caulked" at some point.  The caulking goes away and when the well fills up to that point, it goes into the bilge.  When the boat is sitting, the well level never gets that high but with the ram effect of running it does.  I've seen this on an older 222 walk around and had a friend with an Everglades with the same issue.  Check the overflow system as well.

October 13, 2010, 02:07:02 PM
Reply #16

themadpiper

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »
Quote from: "Keith Knecht"
Not familiar with that late model Osprey but is there a chance that the baitwell itself could be leaking into the bilge? I know that a number of boats have a baitwell that is more than one piece and is "caulked" at some point. The caulking goes away and when the well fills up to that point, it goes into the bilge. When the boat is sitting, the well level never gets that high but with the ram effect of running it does. I've seen this on an older 222 walk around and had a friend with an Everglades with the same issue. Check the overflow system as well.

Indeed this was happening and I repaired it, but thanks for the suggestion.

To update the thread, I pulled the entire rub rail off and reasealed the cap with 4200.  After running a few times the leak seems to have diminished but is still there -- just to a lesser extent.  It's been this way for much of the process -- in reality I've found and fixed several small leaks along the way but I'm still getting too much water and can't figure out where it's coming from.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

October 23, 2010, 08:07:53 PM
Reply #17

thill

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »
I have several thoughts...

1. Did you say that your livewell feed AND discharge were below the waterline?

A very simple place for water to come in would be from the drain side of the livewell, in that situation.   Even a small crack in the discharge hole would allow a lot of water in at 25 knots.

2.  Have you taken the time to clear silicone the BOTTOM of your rub rail?

It doesn't take a huge, ugly bead, just enough to make a smooth, fingered bead under the rail.  It's amazing how much can get in there, even when the crack appears tiny. (1/16")

3. Do you have a seacock mounted DIRECTLY to your thru-hull water pickup?   That is a BIG thing, and I've seen boats SINK from the livewell pump blowing up, and allowing water in unhindered.

I hope you find it!   I once had a Bayliner with a mystery leak, and I NEVER trusted that boat very much.

-TH
-TH

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal