Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: "Ski Eyes are broken"  (Read 661 times)

August 15, 2011, 10:30:08 AM
Read 661 times

c master

• Information Offline
"Ski Eyes are broken"
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:30:08 AM »
One 'leg' of both the port and starboard eyes on the transom of my 170 are broken, right at the surface of the 'glas. They must be through-bolted, but no way of getting to the nuts on the inside.  I'm sure AS mounted them prior to enclosing the hull.  And since they are outboard/behind the "indentions" in the aft gunwale, I'm not even sure a pie plate would give me access to the nuts.

I use the eyes quite a bit pulling tubes and such for the kids.  

Any ideas?   Saw them off, punch them into their holes a little, and 'glas over them?  Add new eyes somewhere else?
C Master
1975 Aquasport 170
file:///C:/Users/cliff.haehl/AppData/Local/Temp/IMG_0135.jpg

August 15, 2011, 12:24:26 PM
Reply #1

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
Re: "Ski Eyes are broken"
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »
Quote from: "c master"
One 'leg' of both the port and starboard eyes on the transom of my 170 are broken, right at the surface of the 'glas. They must be through-bolted, but no way of getting to the nuts on the inside.  I'm sure AS mounted them prior to enclosing the hull.  And since they are outboard/behind the "indentions" in the aft gunwale, I'm not even sure a pie plate would give me access to the nuts.

Any ideas?   Saw them off, punch them into their holes a little, and 'glas over them?  Add new eyes somewhere else?

I don't know the layout of the 170, someone will chime in here, but I can't imagine anywhere on a boat that a small pie plate would not allow access??
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

August 15, 2011, 12:49:37 PM
Reply #2

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:49:37 PM »

Can you take a picture of where the mounting bolts "should be" on the inside of the transom. What year is your 170?
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

August 15, 2011, 04:27:08 PM
Reply #3

c master

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »
I know it's hard to visualize...I'll try to take a few pictures tonite.

In the meantime, if you go to the Photo Gallery section, and open the brochure on the 1975 170, take a look at the 2nd page.  The plan view of the cockpit shows these "notches" at the very back of the inner hull.  This particular drawing showed horizontal cleats in each notch, but mine were mounted vertically.

At the bottom of the same page there is a photo of a 170 under way.  (stern view).  You can see the ski eye locations.  Unfortunately, the backsides of those ski eyes (the nuts) are inside the inner hull, between the wall of the 'notch' and the outer hull.  Hard to get to the nuts.

As it turns out, the aft end of the "box" or "liner" that forms the molded-in rod holders does not go all the way up to the underside of the gunwales.  I can't get my arm over that 'wall' but it is conceivable that a verrrrry long extension on a socket wrench, held inside the rod holder space, could reach over that barrier and to the nuts.  But it would be completely 'blind'.  I might be able to find a small pie plate and cut through the wall of the notch.
C Master
1975 Aquasport 170

August 17, 2011, 11:07:37 AM
Reply #4

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »

I just looked at catinthehats picture of his 70' 170; now I see what you are talking about! No nuts! Where to put the pie plates!? Have to ponder now.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

August 17, 2011, 11:34:21 AM
Reply #5

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »
c master,
We used to use the 4" pies to get at all kinds of chit.  That's the way I'd go, think you have no other choice...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal