Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Details For Fabricating Transom Mount For Livewell Pump  (Read 1035 times)

May 25, 2018, 01:14:39 AM
Read 1035 times

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
Details For Fabricating Transom Mount For Livewell Pump
« on: May 25, 2018, 01:14:39 AM »
For those whom have an older model 170 or any older model that was not manufactured with a livewell, and have not yet to or will not be installing a thru hull pickup, the fabrication details that follow can be used to secure a transom mounted pump to the transom.

The transom mounted rule pump pictured below is the setup I used to use.  The blue plate fixes to the transom with 4 screws and the pump slides in and out of the bracket.  Well, I've gone through 2 of these pumps and not because they burned out...oh no.  But because the pump came out of the bracket while underway.  First time it happened I thought I must of not slid-in/locked-in the pump correctly to the bracket.  So I bought another one ($60...the pump and bracket are not sold separately).  Not too long after buying the 2nd pump the same thing happened.  Suffice it to say I did not buy a 3rd.  I highly recommend staying away from the rule transom mounted pump.  There is definitely a flaw with the way the pump locks into the bracket.

Bought a tsunami pump and bracket from walmart, el cheepo.  I believe this pump is actually intended to be used as a bilge pump by the looks of the black bracket.  Now I had to figure out how to fabricate the means to secure the pump to the transom AND have the ability to remove the pump/bracket when not in use.  Details of this fabrication is as follows:

Hanger bolt

U-Bolt

*Get yourself a block of HDPE with thickness of 3/4"- 1".  Cut length and width of HPDE to same as pump's bracket.

*Under-drill 2 holes for the screws used to secure a block of HDPE to the transom.  Over-drill these 2 holes to the depth of the 2 screw heads used to fix HPDE to transom (countersink). 

*The pump bracket I’m using has 3 mounting holes in a triangular shape, 2 on top and 1 on bottom .  Using the bracket as the stencil, mark these 3 holes on the HDPE and under-drill the holes, but do not completely drill through HDPE.  Slowly drill in 3 hanger bolts to the depth just less than the thickness of HDPE.

*Cut a piece of 1/4” starboard to the width of hanger bolts and 1.5”-2" in height.

*Using the HPDE with hanger bolts as stencil, mark the width of the top hanger bolts onto the piece of starboard.  Drill out these 2 holes and drill 2 more holes through starboard, each one inline and 1/2” above the holes to be used for the hanger bolts (diameter of these 4 holes is dependent upon the diameter of hanger bolt and U-bolt you use).

*Now you’ve got 2 fabricated components and the pump bracket.  Fix the piece of HDPE to the transom and countersink screws below flush.  Be sure to coat screws with silicone sealant and run a thin bead of sealant around the HDPE where it seats against transom.   

*Slide the pump bracket onto the hanger bolts.  Use the largest diameter SS fender washer the space allows, followed by a SS nylon nut to secure together the bottom hanger bolt and bracket. 

*Slide the bottom two holes of the 1/4” starboard over the top two hanger bolts.  Use 2 SS washers and SS nylon nuts to secure starboard onto the hanger bolts.

*Insert pump into bracket.  Slide 2 ends of U-bolt around pump and through starboard top 2 holes.  Use 2 SS washers and nylon nuts to secure U-bolt to starboard.

*Slide on pump outlet tubing and secure it with SS hose clamps.

*The pump bracket will undergo stresses while the boat is underway caused by pressure and weight of the sea (this lesson cost me $120 for two pumps).  Test the bracket’s integrity by grabbing the tube high above the outlet and pushing/pulling up and down.  If the U-bolt is screwed down tight enough against the pump there should be no movement of bracket.  You don’t want any bracket movement!!  When needing/wanting to remove just the pump, remove U-bolt....When needing/wanting to remove both pump and bracket, remove U-bolt and starboard.

The pictures below are the finished fabrication.  The black arrows are pointing to:
#1....Block of HDPE
#2....Starboard
#3....U-bolt
#4....Nylon nut for hanger bolt

---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

May 25, 2018, 07:11:09 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Details For Fabricating Transom Mount For Livewell Pump
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 07:11:09 AM »
A creative idea  :thumright: Nice job on the install and documenting it. :8):
Let us know how it works, especially while underway.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 25, 2018, 08:10:18 PM
Reply #2

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
Re: Details For Fabricating Transom Mount For Livewell Pump
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »
A creative idea  :thumright: Nice job on the install and documenting it. :8):
Let us know how it works, especially while underway.

Thanks Rick.  Works great, couldn't be more pleased with its performance while underway. 
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal