You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Anyone running their 22-2 CCP without the coffin box?  (Read 937 times)

June 06, 2017, 04:30:41 PM
Read 937 times

Midcap

• Information Offline
Anyone running their 22-2 CCP without the coffin box?
« on: June 06, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
So, my coffin box needs some love. So I took it out and mounted an ice chest in front of the console.

With full fuel and 510 pounds of engine on the transom the boat looks to sit way too low in the stern. As in the scuppers are right below the water line. Now water doesn't come in, but the sit low.

Is this normal for you guys?

I was planning on converting to twin 90s or 115's on a bracket and now I don't know if that is going to be an option with the added weight in the rear.

I need to redo the deck in the front. I may add a fuel tank up there to help with the weight distribution.

June 06, 2017, 05:18:27 PM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Anyone running their 22-2 CCP without the coffin box?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:18:27 PM »
Have you done anything to redistribute weight?  You're currently running an outboard that is about 100 pounds more than the lightweight 2 strokes when you're boat was new.  Many relocate the batteries to the console and shift other weight forward to compensate for heavier outboards.  The right bracket would daisy your transom at rest, but judicious weight management would be required to get to  4 stroke twins.

June 12, 2017, 12:27:15 PM
Reply #2

Midcap

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »
Have you done anything to redistribute weight?  You're currently running an outboard that is about 100 pounds more than the lightweight 2 strokes when you're boat was new.  Many relocate the batteries to the console and shift other weight forward to compensate for heavier outboards.  The right bracket would daisy your transom at rest, but judicious weight management would be required to get to  4 stroke twins.

I haven't done anything to help the pitch forward of the CG of the hull yet.

I was thinking about putting the coffin box back since it would provide more storage and more seating. Then I have to re core my fuel tank hatch, So I think I'll use nida core there since that would be lessening the weight aft of the CG.

That's another thing, I would really like to close the transom and gain that extra room in the rear but I don't know how having 780 lbs worth of engines on the back would perform once planed off.

So I have a decision to make since I need to recore the transom sooner than later.

Do I keep the current transom and stay with a single or go twins?

Do I enclose the transom and stay with a single or go twins?

June 13, 2017, 06:43:57 AM
Reply #3

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 06:43:57 AM »
IMO closed transom with a flotation bracket and a single outboard would be the way to go.  Single on transom would be number two. 

Aquas come from an age when lighter outboards were the norm.  The 222 weighs about 2200 pounds, light by today's standards.  With an eight foot beam, it's significantly narrower than a typical 22 footer today.  Plus the bean isn't carried as far aft as is typical now.  All this means that the classic Aquasport aren't designed to carry  as much weight on the transom as newer boats.

Even now, with new boats designed for the weight of four strokes, twins are rare on 22 foot boats.  The arguments for twins v single offshore are out there and each camp is firmly entrenched. 

Bottom line for me is boat will perform better with single.  Fuel economy will be better.  Newer four strokes or Etechs are plenty reliable for offshore use.

June 13, 2017, 01:20:57 PM
Reply #4

Midcap

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »
IMO closed transom with a flotation bracket and a single outboard would be the way to go.  Single on transom would be number two. 

Aquas come from an age when lighter outboards were the norm.  The 222 weighs about 2200 pounds, light by today's standards.  With an eight foot beam, it's significantly narrower than a typical 22 footer today.  Plus the bean isn't carried as far aft as is typical now.  All this means that the classic Aquasport aren't designed to carry  as much weight on the transom as newer boats.

Even now, with new boats designed for the weight of four strokes, twins are rare on 22 foot boats.  The arguments for twins v single offshore are out there and each camp is firmly entrenched. 

Bottom line for me is boat will perform better with single.  Fuel economy will be better.  Newer four strokes or Etechs are plenty reliable for offshore use.

That is a good point. I think that's the way I am leaning also. Closed transom with a single engine I could always get a 10hp as a kicker motor in case things go south offshore and I need to limp back in. That would still be way cheaper than twin engines and way less weight.

I am sold on enclosing the transom. That extra space and then easy access to the bilge is going to be nice.

June 13, 2017, 07:38:13 PM
Reply #5

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 07:38:13 PM »
Yeah,  I'm happy with a single and Tow Boat US/ Seatow.  The kicker requires maintenance, draws gas from the same tank, adds weight and gets in the way.  In 30 + years boating, I've required only two tows.

June 14, 2017, 12:05:55 PM
Reply #6

Midcap

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »
Yeah,  I'm happy with a single and Tow Boat US/ Seatow.  The kicker requires maintenance, draws gas from the same tank, adds weight and gets in the way.  In 30 + years boating, I've required only two tows.

we have sea tow here, but I don't know their exact operating range. If I am in or out of it.

Either way, I have been in the gulf with a single engine before. I made it. lol

June 14, 2017, 08:08:06 PM
Reply #7

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 08:08:06 PM »
Sea Tow won't help if you are on a lee shore and powerless I reckon. A 10hp kicker isn't a big deal to hang or remove from a bracket if you're going somewhere "hairy".

Also, best practice is to have a seperate fuel tank for a kicker, to get around potential fuel contamination issues. Just my $0.05
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

June 15, 2017, 07:37:40 AM
Reply #8

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 07:37:40 AM »
Hey Woodeneye, I can't disagree with your choice, other than to say this debate has been going on since outboards went to sea. 

I would add that if you choose to use a kicker, it would be wise to run it every time you take the boat out.  Marine environment plus unused mechanical equipment does not add up to dependable.

June 16, 2017, 10:34:03 PM
Reply #9

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 10:34:03 PM »
Hey Woodeneye, I can't disagree with your choice, other than to say this debate has been going on since outboards went to sea. 

I would add that if you choose to use a kicker, it would be wise to run it every time you take the boat out.  Marine environment plus unused mechanical equipment does not add up to dependable.

Yes it is a thorny question. Though its made easier by where the boating is done. In my case, out front in Westport can get wooly very quickly in some of the places I fish. So its just prudent to consider a kicker prior visiting questionable spots. Also as the motor lives on a stand in the shed its no big deal to start it up regularly & keep the fuel fresh.
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

June 20, 2017, 01:15:23 AM
Reply #10

Midcap

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 01:15:23 AM »
I was able to run in some nasty conditions this past weekend and I think that if I go with a bracket I am going to need to add ballast to the bow.

She sure was nose heavy and wanted a lot of tab this weekend.

June 20, 2017, 07:48:22 AM
Reply #11

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 07:48:22 AM »
 :Byoyo:

Nose heavy? Or light?  Tabs wouldn't correct a bow heavy condition.

An easy fix for bow light would be to move batteries forward to console.  Are you useing the baitwell under th splashwell?

Armstrong makes a wide body flotation bracket that is supposed to offset weight of heavier engine.  That's what I'm useing on my 20CCP rebuild.  I hope to be ready to give a performance report by the end of summer.

June 20, 2017, 10:28:27 AM
Reply #12

Midcap

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 10:28:27 AM »
:Byoyo:

Nose heavy? Or light?  Tabs wouldn't correct a bow heavy condition.

An easy fix for bow light would be to move batteries forward to console.  Are you useing the baitwell under th splashwell?

Armstrong makes a wide body flotation bracket that is supposed to offset weight of heavier engine.  That's what I'm useing on my 20CCP rebuild.  I hope to be ready to give a performance report by the end of summer.

My mistake.... I typed that wrong.

The bow felt light, I had no problem burying the tabs and keeping the bow down, since my tabs are pretty big but when I had to slow down because the seas were too rough I felt that actually having less weight in the stern would have been good.

Rear livewell is empty.

I know that a larger bracket will help the weight issue at rest but I don't know if will help at all at running speeds. I assume you can make a bracket that would extend the running surface of the hull and that would help out a lot.

June 27, 2017, 11:59:31 AM
Reply #13

Midcap

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »
I have been thinking about it and I really like what Jdupree did with his hull.

My V23, had that same set up and I liked it a lot. If I ever took water over the bow, it just ran right out the back.

I also like that if I go that route, I can go with twin engines later on and not have to worry about sourcing a new bracket.

The difference is between what Jdupree did and what I am going to do is that I am not going to glass in the little wall prior to the splash well. I am going to let that flow from the deck to the splash well and then make an insert with either nida core or cypress like my V23 and V20 was set up.

similar to this

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal