Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Aquasport 215DC paired with a 115hp Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke (25" long shaft)  (Read 628 times)

April 24, 2017, 10:38:06 PM
Read 628 times

PJ

• Information Offline
Howdy folks, this is my first post (apart from the intro),

I am restoring my 1999 215DC, which has been powered in the past with a 175 FICHT Johnson (read...Lemon) and a 200hp Yamaha SW Series.  When they were working I found these engines to be overkill for what I used the boat for (basically puttering 20 minutes to the nearest bay with the wife and a few dogs, putting down my anchor and popping a top.

I really did not care about putting the boat on a plane...OK, maybe 5 minutes out of a 30 minute cruise to avoid a rain shower.  But I do not yearn for speed.

Also the 100 gallon tank was a complete waste on me (as you can imagine). 

Money is tight and engines where I am at are expensive (~18K for a 200hp). 

I can get a 115 Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke (25" shaft) for way less.  That engine is pretty much bulletproof.  It is known as a commercial fishermans engine.

The plan would be to use a 6 gallon red tank and abandon the heavy main tank.  Pretty much reducing the boat weight by 500-700 lbs (what my tank used to weigh).

What are your initial thoughts???  And, do you think the wife and I could get her up on a plane as configured?

(please don't shoot me down too hard)

:-) PJ

April 25, 2017, 07:55:04 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
PJ,
Let's run some numbers.
Dry weight of your hull with a 150 two stroke is listed at 3000 lbs. The hull itself is rated to 300 hp. You may have already known this but I would think you would be disappointed with a 115 hp. That stated, you seem to know what your use is and while it sounds more like an old school pontoon type ride I would think you would be better served in the long run with a larger displacement motor. If you don't overload the hull (say with a lot of brew) she may pop up after a while with the 115. Seems though you would be placing a heavy strain on the motor. Older model Aquas were lighter hulls and were designed to plane with lower HP motors at the time. The Genmar era hulls were heavier.

No 150s lying around? Not sure of your budget.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Yamaha-150-hp-HPDI-Fuel-Injected-Outboard-Boat-Motor-25-Engine-175-115-140-/182514673320?rmvSB=true

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

April 25, 2017, 09:45:42 AM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
A 115 just won't be enough on a 215.   :embar:  A pair of 115s is a pretty sweet setup.   :thumright:  140-150HP is about the minimum you would want on that boat - it's not just about speed, it's also about the ability to run against a current, tide, wind, and waves.  An underpowered boat will breach easily between waves because it does not have the power to stay on the swell. 

BTW - your fuel tank only weighs a lot when it is full, and 6 gallons will be a very short range setup.  You can always run a big tank with only 20 gallons in it, but you can never put 20 gallons in a 6 gallon tank.   :tme:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

April 25, 2017, 12:54:25 PM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
You would be severely over working that 115 on that hull.  A 150HP was the base model for that hull and even that was underpowered.  175 would be ideal.  Keep in mind most 175 and 150hp motors are the SAME motor.  Also since a 115 would be underpowered you would be working the motor very hard which translates to burning more fuel than you would with a larger HP that is barely working to do the same job.

Also.. just don't fill up the tank put in what you need to use.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

April 25, 2017, 02:07:08 PM
Reply #4

PJ

• Information Offline
Thanks for the replies.  I realize the answer is that a single 150+hp motor would work much better for all situations (ps. no room for doubles on the 215DC, it has a single engine 'well')

A little background may help to qualify.  I live on a remote island. I can't ebay, Amazon, or Fed Ex anything.  I don't have to deal with tides, or waves over 1 foot.  In the past I usually only operated the boat in a very sheltered Lagoon-like area. However, it's still coastal so there is wind.  Yes, in the past I went out to sea, but maybe 5% of the time. 

As Captain Bob said, I am looking at more of a "Pontoon Boat" concept now.  I realize this is a little humbling for a capable Aquasport hull to be used in this way, but it's about economics (a cost of $7k instead of $18k) and practicality (larger engines are more complex and it was VERY difficult to find a competent mechanic to service or fix my previous 2 engines).  The 115 Yamaha Enduro is carburetor-based, 2 stroke, & simple as they get.  If it won't get on plane I can live with that. 

When I had a lot of breakdowns with my larger, fancier, engines I used a trusty 9.9 hp evinrude kicker to take me back home, or to the yard.  I once took a 20 mile trip that way along the coast. 

In the end I guess I am asking to see if this engine won't work with the pontoon boat concept.  Will it be enough to charge (let's say) a stock battery, will there be a problem with it fitting in the well, any issues with installation, can I use any of the existing yamaha cables? 

Here's the engine I have currently hanging off the stern that I am about to take off and use as a mooring:
http://www.yamahamarineservice.com/Pages/Outboard%20Engines/2stroke%20General/outboard_engines_2stroke_general_l200fetox.htm

Here's more on the Enduro 115:
http://www.yamahamarineservice.com/Pages/Outboard%20Engines/2stroke%20Enduro/outboard_engines_2stroke_enduro_e115aetx.htm

Thanks again for the thoughts,
PJ

Ps. I don't trust my stock tank, I think it's leaky and I don't have the expertise myself to deal with it (and remember, I have no access to the pro's here).       

April 27, 2017, 11:00:23 AM
Reply #5

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
PJ - the best setup for a boat is the one that meets your needs.   :great02:  So we all consider how we use our boats and make the "best" decision based on our needs and situation. 

As Captain Bob said, I am looking at more of a "Pontoon Boat" concept now.  I realize this is a little humbling for a capable Aquasport hull to be used in this way, but it's about economics (a cost of $7k instead of $18k) and practicality (larger engines are more complex and it was VERY difficult to find a competent mechanic to service or fix my previous 2 engines).  The 115 Yamaha Enduro is carburetor-based, 2 stroke, & simple as they get.  If it won't get on plane I can live with that. 

PJ - it may do better than you think with the right prop.  Maybe not on a full plane, but a propeller in the 13 pitch range might just move her along well. 

In the end I guess I am asking to see if this engine won't work with the pontoon boat concept.  Will it be enough to charge (let's say) a stock battery, will there be a problem with it fitting in the well, any issues with installation, can I use any of the existing yamaha cables? 

PJ - The Enduro 115 has a 10 amp rectifier-based charging system - again simplicity is the key - like the old Mercury motors, if she runs, she charges.  This setup will keep the battery charged just fine.  Your existing Yamaha cables and controls should work with the Enduro 115, along with any instruments like tachometer, water pressure, etc.  You may have to adjust the tachometer (there is a switch on the back) to change from a 6 cylinder to a 2 cylinder or stator-based output, but that's easy-peasy.   

Good luck!!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"

April 27, 2017, 02:27:24 PM
Reply #6

PJ

• Information Offline
Yes, it's a practical thing.  Nice recommendation about the 13 pitch prop. 

My old gauges are shot (sun damage), so I am hoping that a new engine will come with a new set. 

But I am also hoping that some of the existing cables will work (I will save that interesting story for another post).

Again, I agree, it was nice to have the previous 200 hp engine, I got 40 knots with a light load.  But, now I just want to get on the water and enjoy good company and a cold beer.

I will shortly get a quote on 1) the (more high tech) new Yamaha 150 and 2) the old tech 115 yamaha enduro.  I pretty much know the numbers already, and so the 115 ought to win out.

Either way I will keep y'all updated.

April 28, 2017, 10:17:23 AM
Reply #7

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"

April 28, 2017, 03:21:54 PM
Reply #8

PJ

• Information Offline
You are a generous soul.  Thanks, but the shipping will cost more than new ones, plus I think the new engine comes with new gauges.

This time I will get a cover for them. :great02:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal