You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: VRO resevoir/tank removal  (Read 389 times)

April 17, 2017, 07:08:15 AM
Read 389 times

DanB

• Information Offline
VRO resevoir/tank removal
« on: April 17, 2017, 07:08:15 AM »
I am in the process of cleaning up the transom and bilge area of my 225 explorer. If the VRO is disabled and not being used is there any reason I should hang on to the oil tank/reservoir setup. I was thinking about removing it at some point but I figured maybe I should ask and see if there was a reason to just leave it in place. Could I use it if I decided to repower at some point? Thanks

Dan

April 17, 2017, 08:24:20 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: VRO resevoir/tank removal
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »
I'll assume the PO disconnected the VRO.

You may want to think about re-installing it at some point. You'll burn less oil with it in place. The system itself is pretty bullet proof really (I'm guessing you have a 97 Evinrude) but somewhat expensive. The idea that you can toast the motor goes way back to the 80's when it was first brought out. It had been revamped years ago and works fine. Pre-mixing oil and fuel is great for new and rebuilt two stokers during break-in and on older motors without injection.

Still, if your motor is "iffy" and you're thinking about re-powering, you probably would start with all new stuff. 

I'm bias toward oil injection so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Either way, good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

April 17, 2017, 09:18:16 AM
Reply #2

DanB

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 09:18:16 AM »
Thanks Capt. Bob. The PO did disconnect it. To be honest I just assume there was something wrong with the VRO since it was disconnected. I picked the boat up last year and had some issues with the OB. Reverse would not engage, shutting off shortly after starting and a lot of hesitation when trying to WOT. So far I have cleaned the fuel tank, added a new fuel sender, changed out the fuel/water separator, and replaced the lower after I pulled the gears and noticed the clutch dog gear was worn also made sure the shift shaft was at the proper height. I would of just replaced the gears and seals but got a good deal on a used lower. I replaced the throttle and shift cables as well. I found what I believe to part of the problem was the shift shaft arm weld failed. My guess it may have had something to do with the gears getting grinded down. Now it is starting right up and seems to be working great but need to get her on the water to see. I hope to have her on the water in the next couple of weeks. I will probably try and connect the VRO after I make sure I have everything working right. Working on the wiring now and hope to be finishing up over the next couple of days. I post the pics in the rebuild section.

April 17, 2017, 03:10:56 PM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 03:10:56 PM »
If your motor is a 97 then actually you don't have VRO.  You have the OMS (oil metering system) that replaced the VRO system.    It is a very reliable system and as already mentioned you will use much less oil than premixing.  The OMS coupled with the System Check gauge/ warning system is a very reliable system.  Odds are they had to disable a portion of the alarm system since there is no really easy way to just simply disconnect the OMS.  (the proper way is to replace the entire fuel pump but most PO don't do that because it's expensive) back to the alarms system... since they had to disconnect it your probably not going to get a check engine warning or overheat alarm either... this is bad news.  so in short...  hook it back up.  Hopefully they didn't cut something!
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

April 18, 2017, 09:12:14 PM
Reply #4

DanB

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:12:14 PM »
Thanks wingtime! I am definitely going to take Capt. Bob's and your advice and hook it back up. After reading both your replies I started doing some reading on the system and learned they changed it to the OMS in 1993 as you mentioned and in 1996 they introduced the checksystem gauge. I plan on trying to fix it in the next couple of days after I finish the up with the other things on the boat. I know I am going to have to replace the priming bulb line since it was cut and blocked off. No big deal. Electrical connection from the oil tank still looks in tact. I have to double check everything at the engine. I do not think the VRO was changed out either. I am going to try and empty out the tank to make sure it is clean and has no water mixed in. I really appreciate the advice guys and now hope to get the system up and running again shortly. Thanks again Capt. Bob and Wingtime.

Dan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal