You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Fuel smell  (Read 323 times)

April 01, 2017, 09:08:37 AM
Read 323 times

GL1800SK

• Information Offline
Fuel smell
« on: April 01, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
Hi.

I am new here, but i thought i would start out with a re-occurring problem I have with my 1974 Osprey 19-6.

I have owned this boat for a while now, and on 3 occasions I have a gas smell after parking it. When I tilt the boat up mixed gas runs out the bottom drain plug. It has only done it 3 times, but I am concerned the "new" aluminum fuel tank that was installed before I bought it approx 6 months ago is leaking from somewhere. It seems to happen only after it has been bouncing on the waves a bit.

I really like the boat, and the thought of tearing out the floor almost sickens me. But I am worried the gas may eat the inside of the hull. I catch and drain it pretty quick afterwards, but I am worried about the long term affects and about tearing my boat apart.

I appreciate the help in advance.
Boating is more than just a hobby... it’s an escape!!

April 01, 2017, 10:51:45 AM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Fuel smell
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »
If you have inspection ports, or can cut them, it would be worthwhile to check your hose connections.  While you're doing that, look at your fuel sender to make sure it's properly installed and gasket is intact.  If connections and sender check out, see if you can pull the hoses and inspect them without cutting the deck.  If hoses check out, then your left with the tank.  Good luck!  Hopefully it will be something easy.

April 04, 2017, 09:05:27 AM
Reply #2

djbinding

• Information Offline
  • 84 200 XF , 08 Suzuki 115 DF
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »
Check the bend in your fuel fill. Mine was cracked. Dripped gas into foam to a point it was saturated. Had to cut a hole and gouged out all the nasty foam.  Covered the hole with a deck plate. Replacing old fuel hose and lines is a must. The ethanol in today's gas eats up the pre ethanol fuel lines.

April 04, 2017, 09:56:09 AM
Reply #3

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 09:56:09 AM »
OK, a couple/three questions.

1. Your model has a tank hatch cover correct?

2. If you have the hatch, how does the seal/chalking look between it and the deck?

3. Can you remove the hatch and post up a couple of photos. Pics always help.

Corrosion is a fact in these factory installed as well as improperly installed aluminum tanks. If the tank is either then there is a good chance that when it is full, it weeps past the pitted bottom or sides. Not saying that is it but again, opening the hatch is the best way to find out what's going on down there.

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal