Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Wiring up gauges to an Optimax  (Read 430 times)

July 28, 2016, 05:17:25 PM
Read 430 times

Markpa13

• Information Offline
Wiring up gauges to an Optimax
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:17:25 PM »
I'm working on a full restoration of a 68 flatback.  This is the first time I've restored a boat, so need some advice.  I completed the hull and it look great, now I have to figure out this wiring.  Lights, radio, etc... are easy enough, but the motor has me confused.  I purchased a 2005 Optimax with low hours. Since the orignal hull was stripped out when I got it, I had to get all new gauges.  I picked up the Faria Kronos for a Mercury and plan to also get a smartcraft monitor.  I can't really seem to find any information on how to hook everything up.  Any advice is appreciated.

October 26, 2016, 05:24:51 PM
Reply #1

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: Wiring up gauges to an Optimax
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »
Hook up for Optimax is a piece of cake!  Smartcraft gauges are all plug and play, but you have to have the right cables and connectors.  The digital tach/system monitor is great!  Other Smartcraft gauges get daisy chained off the tach with a single connector - easy-peasy! 

Depending on your engine, you may need 1 CAN (computer area network) cable and 1 harness cable  (10 pin connector), or you may be OK with the newer harness cable (14 pin connector). 

Send me a PM with an e-mail and I can send you a pdf of the install manual.  I've also got a box of spare cables in the shop that may work for you.  I've also got some almost-new Mercury throttle and shift cables if you need them.  Cables are easy to find on eBay -  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmercury+smartcraft+cable.TRS0&_nkw=mercury+smartcraft+cable&_sacat=0 

Good luck and let me know if you have other questions. 

Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal