Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Osprey 205 Macerator pump  (Read 664 times)

June 17, 2015, 07:36:09 PM
Read 664 times

gunkie

• Information Offline
Osprey 205 Macerator pump
« on: June 17, 2015, 07:36:09 PM »
So, I've had a 2002 Aquasport 205 Osprey for a couple years now.  After I bought it I discovered that it was missing the live well/washdown pump as well as the macerator pump to empty the fish boxes.  My question is if the macerator pump is also used to drain the forward storage boxes?  Since the pump was missing when I bought it I don't even know how it was supposed to work.  Right now everything just drains back and I bilge it out, but the forward boxes do not want to drain most of the time, actually, neither do the fish boxes.  I've seen that many people say it's not worth it to replace the macerator because it did a poor job of emptying the fish boxes anyway.  I mainly want to drain the storage boxes, to be specific, the one that goes back and under the console.  It never seems to want to drain and it stays pretty gross.  I've thought about replacing the pump for a while, but don't know much about wiring and since the original pump was removed before I bought it, I don't have the original wiring to follow.    Any thoughts on if it's even worth it to replace the macerator or just buy a hand pump and be done with it?

Thanks, Travis

June 17, 2015, 08:56:07 PM
Reply #1

CLM65

• Information Offline
Re: Osprey 205 Macerator pump
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:56:07 PM »
I just responded to your question on THT, and jumped over to this forum and saw it again, so I'll add my response here as well....

I also have a 2002 205. The macerator pump is mounted in the bilge area, below the livewell. The two fish boxes are tee'd together and feed the pump. You really need to plug one of the fishbox drains to fully drain the other, otherwise you just start sucking air from whichever box drains first. Not the most efficient setup, but it will remove about 95% of the contents. And that pump is a real PITA to replace due to the limited access.

The storage area under the console really isn't a box. It is just an open area between the stringers, and it drains back to the bilge. When the boat is at rest, that area is a little lower than the bilge, so water will accumulate there. Once you get moving and the bow rises, the water will move to the bilge where it can be pumped out. I've never had a lot of water there, but there can be some. I suppose you can add a bilge pump in that area if you really wanted to, but you would need to protect it from whatever you store there. Access should be pretty easy.

oh, and welcome aboard!  I think you will find that this forum is an excellent resource for all things Aquasport!
Craig

2002 205 Osprey, 200 HP Yamaha OX66

1967 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild in progress)

June 18, 2015, 03:42:52 PM
Reply #2

gunkie

• Information Offline
Re: Osprey 205 Macerator pump
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 03:42:52 PM »
I just responded to your question on THT, and jumped over to this forum and saw it again, so I'll add my response here as well....

I also have a 2002 205. The macerator pump is mounted in the bilge area, below the livewell. The two fish boxes are tee'd together and feed the pump. You really need to plug one of the fishbox drains to fully drain the other, otherwise you just start sucking air from whichever box drains first. Not the most efficient setup, but it will remove about 95% of the contents. And that pump is a real PITA to replace due to the limited access.

The storage area under the console really isn't a box. It is just an open area between the stringers, and it drains back to the bilge. When the boat is at rest, that area is a little lower than the bilge, so water will accumulate there. Once you get moving and the bow rises, the water will move to the bilge where it can be pumped out. I've never had a lot of water there, but there can be some. I suppose you can add a bilge pump in that area if you really wanted to, but you would need to protect it from whatever you store there. Access should be pretty easy.

oh, and welcome aboard!  I think you will find that this forum is an excellent resource for all things Aquasport!

Thanks for the info.  Yea, that area is a very hard place to reach.  Not sure if it's worth the trouble to replace it or just leave it as is.  That open area is the one I really wanted to keep drained anyway.  I have water in that and the storage in the bow.   They never really want to drain, even while running.  I checked for a clog, but I guess I need to try again.

And thanks for the welcome!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal