Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 1982 Pro Line Flatback  (Read 23564 times)

January 19, 2012, 08:52:51 PM
Reply #30

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
Re: 1982 Pro Line Flatback
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 08:52:51 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
IMHO, early flatbacks, AS or PL, as well as the 12 degree deadrise hulls, were pretty much designed with the max horse available at the time to probably around 150, more likely 75s through 90s.  The weight of the 3 cylinders was so much less then even the lightest I/4 (Yam and Suz 115/130/135/140/150s) and DEFINITELY much less than either the Opti or Etec V-6 150.

So, once again, IMHO, we are looking at slapping a motor on a boat that, 1) was never designed for it, and 2) those motors weren't even a twinkle in their Daddy's eye when those boats were built...

So, all that being said, and getting rid of as much accumulated water weight (read that saturated foam and transoms), and shifting some of the above decks glass weight forward, as well as any tanks...150 Opti is my choice...

JMHO...

Bob you are so right about these old boats-

Big engines are a waste of money and fuel on these boats. I had the opportunity to help rig and test run '73-'76 new mostly 19-6 and 22-2's when I was in high school working for a local dealer. Plus we owned a '73 22-2 CC and a '76 22-2 FF (new) Standard power for us in those days was twin 65 or 70 Evinrudes for 22-2's and single 135's for 19-6's. A single 135 on a 22-2 didn't carry a load like twin 65's and single 135 was perfect on a 19-6. Twin 65's were too heavy for a 19-6. These were non power trim and aluminum prop set ups. When the "new" OMC SST stainless prop was introduced in '74 we thought we died and went to heaven. A major leap forward from the old straight blade aluminum props.  The point is that the sweet spot running speed on 19-6's and 22-2's 12 degree bottoms was 27-29 mph. The design of the hull was perfect at those speeds. You could hit the sweet spot with twin 65's at 4300 rpm with 15pitch SST's or 17P straight blades. The engines would tach about 5900 and about 34 mph with a 4 person load and gear, run out of Ponce Inlet (Daytona) to the gulf stream and back 45 miles each way on about 37 gallons of gas. What more did you need? They self bailed with those twins and did everything right. So if your running a 200 or twin 115's like I am; you still wind up running at 27 mph for that just right cruise speed. My boat runs 23 mph @3700 on one engine and 31 mph @ 4800 WOT with a 18P 4 blade. Now at the same 3700 with both engines running she runs 27 mph at cruise and 43 mph @ 5250 WOT. So I surely don't need 230 hp to cruise @ 27 mph. When Scott's (gran398) rebuild is done with his twin 75 2 stroke Mercs he is going to have the perfect 22-2 power in my eyes.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

January 19, 2012, 09:48:13 PM
Reply #31

Capt Matt

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
    • http://www.captmattmitchell.com
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
My flatback originally came with the twin 65hp featherlights, In 1969 she cost $3200 this price amazingly was with a trailer and options. The PO gave me the original bill of sale and pamphlet with all the available options listed Any idea what those twin motors weighed?
She is now rigged with a 175 pro XS and runs 30mph at 3600rpm @ 6GPH loaded or not with a 17P 4 blade, You could not be more right about the 28-30mph being the perfect speed for these hulls. She will do 46 mph WOT but anything over 40mph is really of no use on these boats, its just more than the hull speed she was designed for and gives you that uncomfortable "a little out of control" feeling. To me its all about the low fuel consumption at cruise and the ability to jump up quickly on plane. I believe outboards just run longer when operated between 3000-4000 rpm.
I think a 150 opti would need maybe 4000rpm for that same 30mph cruise speed and burn a little more fuel than I do but it would be such a small difference it would not really mater. A 150 would hit that 40mph top end. I opted for the extra power as it was the same weight motor and i often carry 4 anglers and all the stuff that goes along with them. No matter how much weight, even with 6 clients on board my boat jumps up on plane in a few boat lengths max even in super shallow water. I'm sure a 150opti would do the same.
In my opinion the porta bracket was well worth the money. To do close to the same thing you would need a bracket and a jack plate which would be close to the same expense. I love the amount of lift it gives the motor, 31 inches for shallow water operation. It's my favorite of all the options I added to my ride.  It responds what seems like much faster than any jack plate I have ever ran.  They are a super simple system and seem almost bullet proof.
I have one 105qt Yeti mounted in front of my console with a cushion on top, Its a great seat for 2 clients and is plenty big enough. Fish caught during my charters I keep alive in my livewell until the end of the charter then I bleed them out while coming in. Could not bring myself to put fish in my expensive cooler. When I cut bait fish I carry a small cut bait cooler 30qt.
Capt Matt
www.captmattmitchell.com
Light tackle sportfishing

January 19, 2012, 09:58:21 PM
Reply #32

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:21 PM »
Wait a minute, Matt, you have a 105 qt Yeti, one of, if not the best cooler out there, and you only use it for ice?  Blasphemy!!! :lol:  :lol:

Love the gasket, like a frikkin refridgerator!! :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

January 19, 2012, 10:07:40 PM
Reply #33

Capt Matt

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
    • http://www.captmattmitchell.com
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 10:07:40 PM »
I use it for Mountain Dew's, H2O and canned vienna sausages only, for some reason I love the mechanically processed meat snacks while out on the boat
I'm a purest and can't take the smell/taste of fish on my mountain dew's, I usually stink of fish at the end of a good days trip but don't want it on my soda's.
Capt Matt
www.captmattmitchell.com
Light tackle sportfishing

January 19, 2012, 10:13:45 PM
Reply #34

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
Vienna Sausages, Cheetos (fried, not baked), and Mountain Dew.  A bonafide history lesson is in need here...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

January 19, 2012, 10:19:43 PM
Reply #35

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »
Fitz...your experience as a teen, and your recollection of such...hopefully twenty years from now...all of our input will be archived by someone.

Matt, you have taken Fitz's thinking..although independent from your initial thoughts...and applied it to your working hull.

Point being...it doesn't take 250 hp to plane or efficiently run a flatback or 12 degree Aquasport...or Proline.

And when you push them over forty mph with the extra power...they really don't want to go there.

"A boat for every sea...and a sea for every boat."

January 20, 2012, 04:39:11 AM
Reply #36

hopefishing

• Information Offline
    • http://www.hopefishing.com/.
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 04:39:11 AM »
I knew these old boats were not designed for the power or weight of todays motors. I even tried to get in touch with Pro Line last week to see if they could advise on the cg data plate, but I see they may be hard/impossible to reach for a while. First on the cooler space and being a inshore guide, with this boat I am trying to make as verstile a fishing platform as I possibly can. I will continue to have my flats boat for strictly inshore fishing and with this one will be doing some inshore, but more nearshore and lots of bird tours. 4-6 guys on a near shore reef/wreck on a good bite can fill a 250 qt cooler faster than you think. I also stay out overnight camping and shuttling kayaks so the cooler space is necessary. And Capt, I am just like you in the fact that I love vienna's on my boat. Eat them about every time I'm out. Love to ope the can, then dunk them in the saltwater then ahh fine dining.  It intresting to hear about all these older motors and the history of these boats. I was 4 when this boat was made, so its before my time of remberance, but I love the history. I understand now with the portabracket and the benefits it will bring. Makes sense and seems worth the price. I am going to start making calls on motors first of next week. On my way out today for charters till Tuesday so the big girl must wait till next week. Mr Hanna at Hanna Boats here in Labelle should have a bay in his shop open by then and she will be making the trip over there to begin his portion and get this show on the road. I thank all of you for your opnions and help with this so far. Its hard to see all sides of a circle. have a great weekend.
There are no problems in life that cannot be solved with a judicial amount of explosives

January 20, 2012, 10:25:57 AM
Reply #37

CaptSteveBetz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.flatsandbay.com/.
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 10:25:57 AM »
Here is a picture of the transom area of my Flat back.

See the difference? Yours has some degree of V. In your case I do not think it is a bad thing since you will be doing more nearshore fishing with it.
I still have all the measurements for fuel tank,bait well and console placement. If you would like them let me know.

If you notice I had the optional swim platforms built into my bracket. You may consider if you go with a Porta Bracket. If I remember correctly it was about a 500.00 option. IMO worth it.
The next picture is my fore deck. I went with one single hatch and use the entire bow of the boat for storage.

I kept the console small and installed the live well behind it. I did not want a T-top,leaning post or tower. I like simple.I had a set of rod holders built by Marine Specialtys to mount on the back of the well. I like the Live well as far as its capability to hold a ton of bait but I am working on a new design for the out side of it to make it more versatile. The first one will go in my boat.

I kept my boat as simple as possible. I wanted it as low maintenance as possible.
Capt. Steve Betz
Tampa Flats and Bay Charters
www.flatsandbay.com
813-727-8843

January 20, 2012, 10:43:33 AM
Reply #38

dirtwheelsfl

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 10:43:33 AM »
what year is your boat steve? it seems they changed from total flatback to that slight v with those mini "strakes" around 74 or 75. my friends got a 73 and its still total flat. and its got the aquasport tumblehome to it, this ones almost straight up and down.

January 20, 2012, 10:56:29 AM
Reply #39

CaptSteveBetz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.flatsandbay.com/.
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
Quote from: "dirtwheelsfl"
what year is your boat steve? it seems they changed from total flatback to that slight v with those mini "strakes" around 74 or 75. my friends got a 73 and its still total flat. and its got the aquasport tumblehome to it, this ones almost straight up and down.

Mine did not have a title or any ID #s when I bought it. No title either,(never buy a boat without a title)so the exact year I do not know.
I am not positive but  I think proline stopped making the FB in the mid 70s. I think it was on the later model FB's that the sides were taller and they were wider at the back. Much heavier also from what I have been told.
Capt. Steve Betz
Tampa Flats and Bay Charters
www.flatsandbay.com
813-727-8843

January 26, 2012, 09:12:10 AM
Reply #40

hopefishing

• Information Offline
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 09:12:10 AM »
Ok, got the ball moving again. My local builder has disappeared, said he would call and we would get started. (cue the crickets). So I have looked around and settled on Coarsey Custom Fiberglass up in Cheifland. Taking her up there Monday morning to get started. There are just some people that as soon as you talk to them on the phone you know you will get along with, and Mr Robert is it for me. I am excited to begin. I will keep the pictures and info coming as my girl gets a new lease on life. And thanks to all for all the opnions and info, its been a great help.
There are no problems in life that cannot be solved with a judicial amount of explosives

January 31, 2012, 11:20:49 AM
Reply #41

hopefishing

• Information Offline
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »
Well dropped her off yesterday. Heres the lowdown. Shes getting totally gutted, new stringers, double lamination of the hull, new floor, new flotation foam. Anchor locker up front on the bow cap that will be self draining. Down to a large deck that will house two 48" long boxes, one will be dry storage, one will be an insulated fish box. This will drain right onto the deck so no need for pumps, hoses etc. Center console with windsheild, and grab bar with an 80 qt cooler seat in front. 40 gallon livewell leaning post. I'm not sure if anyone has seen the old pro 2400 boats that Coarsey boats build but I went with the stern like theres. There will be a box on each corner of the stern and this serves a few purposes. One side will be an 80 qt cooler, the other box is where all the rigging comes in. It will house my pumps, hoses, etc etc. I will also be able to put my safety gear in this area. The other reason for this is that it reduces the amount of open transom and enables him to tie in his reenforcement in the corners and hide the work. Molded in swimplatform on one side, 10' Powerpole on the other. Going with a jackplate for the moment with the goal to move to a portabracket one day. deck will be raised up a few inches and will be truley self bailing. Rod holders in the gunnels, under gunnel rod storage. Pop up cleats (4) with a standard cleat on the bow for the anchor. New gelcoat on outside hull and going to add two tone color. White on the keel, to a light color (undecided on a light blue, green or maybe fighting lady yellow) to a white cap. Inside will be  a mottled looking color that should be easy to keep clean. I was expecting about 6-8 months on this process, I nearly fell out of my chair when he said he would start this week and should be finished in 60 days tops.  So thats where we stand. I'll keep yall posted and get pictures as I can get up there.

January 31, 2012, 11:37:39 AM
Reply #42

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »
Excellent!!! I like your plan. The only question I have is when you do put fish in the front box will you plug it so it doesn't drain onto the deck while your clients are walking around? I still like having a fish cooler inside it so it won't drain out, then if you catch a bunch just pull the cooler out. I found the pic of the in floor box in the Mako we used to fish in. I think you can see why I don't like them!

Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

January 31, 2012, 12:13:34 PM
Reply #43

hopefishing

• Information Offline
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
Yeah the fish box is plugged so you can drain it as you want/need to. its also divided w so he said what other guides do, is put a layer of ice down in the rear portion, fill up the front portion and leave a scoop in there and just keep iceing the fish down as you put more in the rear box. There is a lid in each end, and the divider is removable so you can have one large box for your larger length fish.

February 03, 2012, 02:42:49 PM
Reply #44

hopefishing

• Information Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 02:42:49 PM »
Picked up a used tower today. Going to give it a good cleaning, then get it moved up to Mr Robert. I will have the added expense of the upper controls, but I think I got the tower at enough of a bargin that I will be ok.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal