Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Ramp hull / transom / drain plug damage  (Read 541 times)

May 02, 2018, 06:31:11 PM
Read 541 times

chataqua

• Information Offline
  • Mid Atlantic
Ramp hull / transom / drain plug damage
« on: May 02, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »
Long story short, while backing down the ramp, she slid off early, and landed in shallow water on her drain plug.   I'm wondering how bad the damage is in terms of structural damage to the transom.   Not sure how to go about diagnosing that, but know we need to do some repair now we weren't planning on.    Totally my error in launching due to distraction.   Meh.   I feel bad I hurt the hull, and don't have anyone to blame except myself.   

Did I screw up so bad I have to repair the entire transom?    How do I be sure of further hull integrity?   

Pictures are to big to post here, so I'm linking to a Google Photos shared album :: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bGLQqsmzgCkUDDyn6 

May 02, 2018, 07:08:35 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Ramp hull / transom / drain plug damage
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:08:35 PM »
So this pic shows you did a good job at it, for sure. ;-)

The hull at the back is 1/2" to 3/4" thick (depending on the guy spraying and the day)
So if it was mine and the rest of the boat was fine, I would pull the garboard drain (the outer part). Then I would mix some chopped strand, maybe 1/8"-1/4" chop, and cabosil with either poly or epoxy (preferred) until it is the thickness of peanut butter and then add the hardener and mix real well.  Then I would stuff it up in there and smooth it a little proud of the bottom of the hull and fill the ground down part of the transom. Then I would sand it down flush with the bottom and the little bit of the transom. What you've created is a mini version of how the boat was made, especially if you use poly. Unfortunately poly doesn't stick real well when applied to an existing poly piece.  It may do all you need here since it's not structural but poly is not waterproof, you'd need to cover it with gelcoat (you could brush it on) to seal it. I would also fill in the screw hole of the garboard drain and let that harden. The pre-drill it, add some 5200 and remount it.
My $.02
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 02, 2018, 07:09:45 PM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:09:45 PM »
I'll let the glass gurus handle this but........

No photo file is too large to post on this site. However, you must upload it to your photo gallery first and then place it in the post.

FM

Good luck. :thumright:

Mod edit:  Beat me to it Pops.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 02, 2018, 07:14:42 PM
Reply #3

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 07:14:42 PM »
Ouch.  I'm sure that was a humbling experience.  The are a number of members here that are highly experienced with hull framework and the repairs of such, and the link you provided contains very detailed photos.   So I'm sure one of these members will chime in soon. 

In the meantime, my limited experience with hull repair tells me your repair would only require filling the damaged area and thus not require a complete transom repair.  While the damage is directly under the engine, the forces applied to the transom while underway is spread over the entire transom area. 
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

May 02, 2018, 07:17:45 PM
Reply #4

chataqua

• Information Offline
  • Mid Atlantic
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »
If we can fill it over after letting dry for a week, that'd be about getting off scott free as far as I'm concerned ... I'm worried more about something deeper.   A friend suggested keeping the stern into the sun to help dry it out before we do anything further.   Right now we're going to let her sit until I get over the pain of being an idiot for doing this.   

May 02, 2018, 07:22:09 PM
Reply #5

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »
Unless there are hidden issues, like rotted transom core, I say remove garboard drain fitting, grind back to clean unbruized glass and layer on new reenforcement.  Matching thegel coat would be the hardest thing.

May 03, 2018, 08:52:30 PM
Reply #6

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 08:52:30 PM »
^^ What they said. You should/could get a heat gun or hair dryer on it for a few hours and dry the area out before repair to accelerate that process. Just don't cook it. RickK is right on the money. Make sure you get some cabosil or milled fibres into the resin and remove & remount the drain, after drying and filling the screw holes. All the things considered it looks like it could've been a lot worse and and as stated your biggest PITA will be matching the gelcoat .
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

May 06, 2018, 09:07:02 AM
Reply #7

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 09:07:02 AM »
Could have been worse.

Cabosil is only a thickening agent that does not add any strength to the resin. In fact it makes it brittle. Only use milled or chopped up glass to thicken the resin for this repair. I'd use epoxy for sure.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal