You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Electrical current detected in and around boat  (Read 1564 times)

January 06, 2018, 10:24:10 AM
Reply #15

daniel123

• Information Offline
Re: Electrical current detected in and around boat
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »
Yes, I added the new Blue Seas ACR/Charger combo unit. And I've checked the charge in my 9v batteries (which we used to call "transistor radio batteries" since that's about all they were used for back then) by sticking them on my tongue since I was a kid. Then again, I like the taste of Gulp! baits, so I perhaps there's a connection?  My challenge with the testing will be recreating the more conductive saltwater conditions here in sweetwater OH-IO -- but I'll keep you posted this spring.

January 06, 2018, 05:52:16 PM
Reply #16

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 05:52:16 PM »
Super interesting thread this.....
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

January 06, 2018, 07:23:16 PM
Reply #17

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 07:23:16 PM »
Does your 200 Osprey still have the rigging trough with the removable cover.  If so, I’d pull the cover and visually inspect every wire for frayed or missing insulation.  That’s one place that is guaranteed to stay wet when you’re on the water.  It’s also easy to check when you’re landlocked.  The bonus is,you get to reseal all the screws to prevent future water Intrusion.

That Boating Mag articulation rick posted had good advice as well.  Use your multi meter set to ohms to look for continuity between positive and ground.  I would do everything I could to troubleshoot in a situation that does not require giving myself shock therapy.

January 07, 2018, 10:18:41 AM
Reply #18

daniel123

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 10:18:41 AM »
It does not have that visible trough, but my older 1700 did so I know what you mean. And that Boating mag link was really good, and I have printed it out to reference this spring after the thaw when we do our testing to determine the source of the stray current. After reading it, I was leaning toward it being the bilge pump wiring and switch, which gets wet as a circumstance of its location, until I was reminded here that the current leak stops when I cut battery power with the Off switch. The bilge pump is direct-wired to the house battery, so is not affected by that circuit.

January 07, 2018, 12:19:26 PM
Reply #19

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 12:19:26 PM »
The bilge pump is direct-wired to the house battery, so is not affected by that circuit.

Your float switch should be wired directly to the battery, but if you have an on switch for the bilge pump, it would be post battery switch - unless it has been changed post factory.

January 09, 2018, 10:32:34 AM
Reply #20

daniel123

• Information Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 10:32:34 AM »
The bilge pump's auto switch (which is not a conventional arm-float style, but a type that senses moisture across  two metal surfaces) is wired direct to the battery so that when activated it will have the pump function even when the key or battery switch are off. The bilge pump is also wired to a switch at the helm to allow me to turn it on manually.

When we noticed the stray current the most, I also noted at times that the bilge pump was running on auto, even with little water in the bilge, and I could not turn it off with the helm switch or by turning of the battery switch. It would eventually stop on its own. Curiously, I also noted in those instances that the manual bilge pump switch at the helm would temporarily serve as an on/off switch for the livewell water pump...which has its own switch on the helm (!).

I suspect that when the going gets damp aboard after some active running/fishing and the deck/bilge are wet with saltwater that it breaches a flaw in the wiring or a component somewhere, and it will take some circuit-by-circuit electrical testing this spring to ferret it out.   

May 29, 2018, 01:00:20 PM
Reply #21

daniel123

• Information Offline
Re: Source Found for Electrical current detected in and around boat
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 01:00:20 PM »
We think the source of that electrical leak came via a 40 amp fuse holder in the battery cable between the starting battery and the battery selector switch. It was resting on the deck under the helm console where saltwater splashing from the baitwell and water on the deck from the washdown hose seeped under the helm console to the fuse/circuit. Won't know for sure until we test it in the water -- especially salt water -- but the fuse was showing corrosion and it makes sense that was it. Next saltwater trip is Cape Hatteras in July, for which I have posted a request in the Chum forum for any members with fishing advice for Pamlico Sound to please get in touch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal