You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: early aqua sport history  (Read 821 times)

May 23, 2015, 11:12:23 AM
Read 821 times

scuppers

• Information Offline
  • REGISTERED
early aqua sport history
« on: May 23, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »
Am wondering when the first Aquasport center console  entered the market? As a youngster I saw my first in 1968.  Also wanted the facts to dispute a boston whaler owner's claim as being the first center console boats on the market.  Another perplexing issue is that the "flatbacks" are under valued. When one considers a new 22' bare hull (no motor) are selling for astronomical prices, why don't flat backs command much higher prices?  I'm guessing that the boating public just doesn't know about them? I have a 1970 stock flatback & have owned it since 1986, getting older and am considering selling, however, I think people assume that the age equals a low price. Try that thought on a classic car owner. The quality &  performance of these hulls are exceptional & economical. As I recall the ads proclaim 49mph with a 140hp outboard. There are no deepV hulls that can compare with flatback's economy & performance with similar power. I liken these hulls to that of a classic muscle car of the 1960's. The older they get the less of them are available.

May 23, 2015, 02:37:14 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: early aqua sport history
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 02:37:14 PM »
I'm sure you read this and probably forgot you did.
http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=265.0
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 24, 2015, 07:06:49 AM
Reply #2

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
Re: early aqua sport history
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:06:49 AM »
Well scupper,
Boston Whaler did debut a center console in '62, a version of the later Montauk with the Mahogany console 16' trihull. So that much is true. A hearty sole could venture nearshore in one but they were small, wet ride, and beat you in a chop,tight to fish out of and no storage. I think the Aquasport was the first to really create the market from which all others followed. As far as value of the older 22-2's unless it's museum quality it's whatever the market will bear. As with any old fiberglass boat, the materials and coring suffer over time and everyone knows that. What you can't see is what is below deck and you have to demolish the boat to find out. You can easily drop $20K in one to restore it and you may break even on resale. There is no financing to buy one, nor easily insured. So you're working with cash buyers, so writing a check for $20-30K severely reduces the market size. It seems that most people that buy one of these boats aren't really interested in it being original anyway. They want raised transoms, engines on bracket, live well systems, towers and improved drainage just for starters so they just want the basic shell with the classic lines to start from. I have an original '73 in fairly nice condition that gets lots of oohs and aahs at the ramp or wherever I stop but I'm real about the market value. I paid $6500 for mine about 10 years ago with two very low hour 115  Mercs and boat had been garaged for 30 years, I know I've dropped another $5K in upgrades and I'd be very lucky to break even if I sold it. I bought it because I grew up running them, rigging them, fishing, skiing and they're just knock down gorgeous in the water, the investment side was never a consideration, it's a sunk cost with little hope of return but who cares?
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal