Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 175 Striper Baitwell wiring  (Read 1238 times)

March 09, 2016, 07:39:41 PM
Read 1238 times

flyboyo2

• Information Offline
175 Striper Baitwell wiring
« on: March 09, 2016, 07:39:41 PM »
Fish On!...not yet.  When I got the boat the transome mounted Rule pump used for drawing water into the baitwell and the baitwell recirc pump were both inop with cut wiring.  I can't find a thread addressing my propblem of how to rewire the two pumps so they operate off the single baitwell switch on the console. Speak slowly and loudly cause 'lectricity be magic to me.

March 10, 2016, 08:32:21 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: 175 Striper Baitwell wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:32:21 AM »
Before we turn this into an electrical topic, let me ask a couple of questions concerning plumbing.

Is there a raw water pick up (clam shell) on the bottom of the hull, possibly on the starboard side, a foot or so inboard of the stern? Also look at the transom itself and see if there is a "scoop" located there rather than under the hull.

I ask this because I don't believe Aqua used a "transom mounted" bilge pump to feed the live well. Not saying they might have gone this route in 89 (hanging on for dear life) but I can't ever recall seeing one that way. That stated, your hull has had several PO "adjustments" so it is very possible that he mounted the transom pump because something else failed. I do know I used a transom mount on my CCP to replace the factory live well so anything is possible.

Before giving you any wiring ideas, it would be helpful to know what you're working with so.....
A few pics of just what you have would help. :ScrChin:

Let me ask this....
Does your live well drain onto the deck or does it have an overboard drain? It seems that some model Stripers came with a "baitwell w/drain and circulating pump". Filling may have been done with a 5 gal. bucket. If so, it sounds as if the PO could have indeed added the transom pump to fill the well.

Pics, pics and more pics.

Good luck. :thumright:

]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

March 10, 2016, 07:52:04 PM
Reply #2

flyboyo2

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:52:04 PM »
Capt. Bob, unfortunately I will be away from the boat for a couple of weeks so no pix as of yet.  The baitwell  appears to be stock for the '89 Striper. The tank is under the seat in front of the console and is plumbed with two pumps and an overboard drain.  The transom pump is a Rule 800 GPH with the intake through the transom about 4 inches to the left of the garboard drain, it has a wire mesh strainer on the intake pipe.  The raw water is pumped to the tank and enters it at the top right back.  At the bottom of the right hand side of the tank is a Rule 360 GPH recirc pump which draws water from the bottom of the tank and returns the water through an aeriator or spray bar at the top.  On the top left of the tank is an overflow fitting which drains over board at the transom through a thru hull fitting.  Both pumps are inop with about an eight inch wire lead that has been cut.  There is only one baitwell switch on the panel so I assume it activated both pumps simultaneously. The tank also has a mechanical drain on the port side that drains residual water onto the deck.

Until I return home a verbal description is the best I can do.  It seems it would be a simple wiring job for anybody that understands "magic".

March 11, 2016, 05:37:48 PM
Reply #3

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 05:37:48 PM »
Well,
Based on photos you have posted in the past, I don't believe you have a factory set up so assuming you want to retain this set up here's my thoughts.

First, I see no reason to run both pumps at the same time.
The circulation pump is needed when the water in the well cannot be turned over and oxygen needs to be added to keep the bait alive. It is there IMHO because it came from the factory since there was no fill pump. The factory set up had you adding water (think 5 gal bucket) then aerating that water supply (circulating pump in well). Drainage of the well when done, was directly onto the deck. The PO added the overflow and the fill pump. That stated....

Filling with the pump and allowing it to run continuously (filling and overflowing out the rear drain) provides a continuous turn over of the water supply and eliminates the need for aeration (the circulation pump) so....

You can simply rewire the hot lead (probably brown in color) back to the existing switch.

If you still want to keep the circ. pump you can either add another switch or replace the switch with an On-Off- On  type that will allow running of either or but not both at the same time.

Wire both to the same switch (not recommended by me anyway).

Maybe this.
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/cole-hersee-switch-3-circuit-push-pull.html?gclid=CJrQ9IzpucsCFRY8gQodlYQErg

Still...I'm probably way off base. I need pics to tell.

One black and one brown wire from each pump?
Brown wire on switch?

]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

March 11, 2016, 10:18:37 PM
Reply #4

flyboyo2

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 10:18:37 PM »
I bow to your superior knowledge, the overflow out the thru hull would explain the three 1/5/8 holes drilled into  the deck under the console; he didn't get it right the first two times. I still don't have a good idea how to patch them.

I'll get pix as soon as possible.

Thanks

March 24, 2016, 08:23:10 PM
Reply #5

flyboyo2

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 08:23:10 PM »
Back to the baitwell with some really lousey pictures. The first pix is the thru hull pump that fills the tank, it is plumbed but the wires are cut, one brown one black.  The remainder of the pix are of the overflow drain which is the 90 degree fitting at the top left of the pix and the recirc pump at the bottom right with the hose from the thru hull to its left.  As stated before there is only one baitwell switch on the console panel so how do I control both pumps?
Also I still don't have a clue on closing the Titanic size holes that were drilled into the deck to accomodate the overflow hose.

March 25, 2016, 08:03:16 AM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 08:03:16 AM »
Picture #1 - is the square pump used as a bilge pump?  What is the hole I see in the pic right above it?  The 700 rule, is it going directly out the side of the boat?
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

March 25, 2016, 09:32:51 AM
Reply #7

flyboyo2

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 09:32:51 AM »
RickK, yes the square 1000 gph pump is the bilge pump, the hole is the garboard drain and the 700 gph pump is mounted out the back of the transom and is the baitwell fill pump. It doesn't appeare to me that the fill pump would pull in water while underway, what think you?

March 25, 2016, 01:18:07 PM
Reply #8

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 01:18:07 PM »
Man, that's quite a rig.

How about a pic of the transom pickup? Is it a fitting that extends straight out or does it 90 down perpendicular to the transom face? If it is turned down, then it would act as a poor man's scoop and force water into the livewell while underway. Unless there is a valve I don't see, the well should fill (again, if the pickup is turned down and cut at an angle) while moving. The pump, if running at this time will just circulate the water forward. The real pressure comes from the motion of the pickup through the water. When stopped, the pump will pull in the water (displace) and continue to fill the well. The key to keeping your bait alive is turning over the water, not just circulating the same water. You don't need both.

Show us a pic of the transom where the pump pickup is.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

March 25, 2016, 06:00:51 PM
Reply #9

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 06:00:51 PM »
Just so I'm clear, are we talking about the baitwell under the seat in front of the console?  I re-read the topic and you didn't mention where this baitwell is.
Rick

March 25, 2016, 07:55:51 PM
Reply #10

flyboyo2

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
Yes sir the baitwell is under the seat in front of the console.  The first pix shows the raw water pickup with a wire mesh cover to the left of the garboard drain. Second pix is the interior of the baitwell with the large black cover in the bottom being the recirc pickup which sends the water to the top left where it is returned through the black diffuser along the top edge.  The raw water inlet is a straight whie pipe just below the diffuser.  The opening at the top right is the gravity overflow outlet.
I didn't think through the wiring of the two pumps, I got hung up on there being only one baitwell light on the boat panel schematic. I have a 8 switch panel which will accomodate two seperate switches.
It doesn't appear to me that the raw water pickup will function while underway, maybe that's the purpose of the recirc pump.

March 26, 2016, 06:25:59 AM
Reply #11

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 06:25:59 AM »
I see now.  Ok, per what CB said, you only need one of the pumps on at a time, and I think you're correct that the recirc is used when underway.
You can use a single pole-double throw switch to control both pumps, one on at a time.  You can choose which will turn on the light.
Have you applied power to the aft pump to see if it works yet?  How about the recirc pump? Does the switch control the recirc?

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/Tournament%204%20series_950-0213.pdf
Rick

March 27, 2016, 11:08:13 AM
Reply #12

flyboyo2

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 11:08:13 AM »
RickK. both pumps work and all the plumbing was intact except the gravity overflow hose. All power wires to both pumps were cut and I took out the switch panel so I don't know how the pumps were wired.  I have space on my new Bluesea switch panel for both pumps.

The irony is that I don't use live bait, I'm 100% Mirrorlure and am C&R.  Why am I compulsing over this livewell?

March 27, 2016, 11:15:11 AM
Reply #13

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »
You cut the wires?  or you've applied power to them to know that they work?
Anyway, the link I left should help you wire them.
Rick

March 27, 2016, 02:27:06 PM
Reply #14

flyboyo2

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 02:27:06 PM »
RickK, the PO cut the wires, don't know why as both pumps operate.  Could be that the raw water fill hose is compromised and water  is pumped into the bilge.  I won't know until launch.
Thanks for the wiring diagram, I'm heading out to the boat now to get started.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal