You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Location of fuel vent/antisiphon  (Read 336 times)

August 07, 2018, 02:25:42 PM
Read 336 times

jfhallst

• Information Offline
Location of fuel vent/antisiphon
« on: August 07, 2018, 02:25:42 PM »
I have an 88 Osprey 170. with '95 Mariner 75.  Fuel tank and all fittings/lines were replaced 3 years ago.  A week ago, engine started to lug around 3000 rpm, then "caught", and ran OK at 4000+.  Couple of days later died at a little over 3000.  Pumping up primer got it running (and continues to do so) but now always it always dies above 3000+-(idles fine.) Replaced primer bulb but no help.    Have heard that tank vent sometimes gets blocked but don't know where to look for it... or does this sound more like I need to rebuild fuel pump?

August 07, 2018, 05:27:17 PM
Reply #1

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
Re: Location of fuel vent/antisiphon
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 05:27:17 PM »
The fuel vent on my 175 exits the boat in the starboard bow just below the rub rail.  I would check there, remove the vent fitting from the line, inspect it and blow air into it and see if you get much resistance.  It's really weird but I've had debris get stuck in the external vent, I've heard others say bugs make nests in there.  Really bizarre but that could definitely be it.  You can also test if this is the issue by removing your fuel fill cap while underway and see if it solves you issue.  If it does, you know venting is your problem.

The anti siphon valve in my tank (I don't know anything about your fuel tank, post some pics) can be accessed by removing the pie plate under your feet at the helm, in the deck.  That's where fuel pickup and vent lines exit the tank.  You can remove both lines and inspect that.   The anti siphon valve is outside the tank where the fuel pickup meets the line that goes from tank to fuel separator. 

Check fuel venting and knock that off your list.  From there I'd start checking all lines, fuel pickup, anti siphon.  Your screen at the fuel pickup could be gunked up.  Your fuel lines could be deteriorating.  I've had all of these things happen.
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal