Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 222 fuel coffin lid install  (Read 967 times)

February 17, 2017, 12:31:23 PM
Read 967 times

Shua

• Information Offline
222 fuel coffin lid install
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »
I have a question regarding the installation of a new fuel coffin lid. I took this aquasport project over from a relative who got nidacore for the coffin lid. I have seen some cool posts on here showing re-coring the original lid but the one for this boat is gone. So i glassed the nidacore, faired it, and primed it for paint. I also filled the edged with thickened epoxy. It came out good, however advice I am looking for is how to screw it down. I am thinking I will need to go back and drill holes where the screws will be and filled with thickened epoxy in order to screw it down. But it is already faired and primed so I was thinking about doing this on the underside. (Picture takes before the fairing and priming).Small hole saw through the glass and honeycomb cells and then fill and drill new holes? Is this the best way to do it? Or would it be possible just to drill through the glass and nidacore and use the stainless screws with deck rings and 4200? My research so far has found that you need to either fill with epoxy or insert higher density material but since it is screwing right into the fuel coffin lip I am not sure about this application. The glass is thick and the lid fits really snug in place. Also need a few screws from the console to the lid, when i install the console. This is the first time I have worked with nidacore and appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

February 22, 2017, 09:19:41 PM
Reply #1

Shua

• Information Offline
Re: 222 fuel coffin lid install
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »
Would this post be better in the materials corner and is there a way to move it there?

February 22, 2017, 10:10:58 PM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:10:58 PM »
It's easily moved but I'm leaving it here for now. Let's see the direction the thread goes first.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

February 22, 2017, 10:11:41 PM
Reply #3

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:11:41 PM »
Drill over size holes and fill with thickened epoxy with milled fibres in it. Drill and screw into that when its kicks off. Also caulk with 400UV (it can be removed down the track). Everyone jumped on me when I said I was going to use 5200 to recall my coffin lid.. Just my $0.05

I mounted my tee top and leaning post using this method and they are solid as a rock.
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

February 23, 2017, 07:53:42 AM
Reply #4

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:53:42 AM »
Everyone jumped on me when I said I was going to use 5200 to recall my coffin lid..

That's cause you bounce so well Wood. :mrgreen:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

March 01, 2017, 07:39:24 PM
Reply #5

Shua

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the coffin lid I am going to go that route and I will post progress. Today I glued plastic strips to the fuel tank with 5200, as several people have mentioned on here. The strips are pretty thin. I did that in order to leave clearance above the tank for a livewell hose, but the strips should still raise the tank up off the coffin floor just enough to drain any water below the tank and circulate air. Also I think I am going to 5200 the strips/tank right to the coffin as the pascoe method talks about and also use the original straps to secure the tank.

March 02, 2017, 12:23:55 PM
Reply #6

dirtwheelsfl

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
Definitely need to fill where the screws go thru the lid, it will crush if not.   Check out Ricks lid...

March 08, 2017, 08:49:03 PM
Reply #7

Shua

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »
Thanks, I checked out Ricks rebuild thread and his saw how he did his coffin lid. That is exactly how I would like to do it. That is one impressive thread/boat build! I am working on the coffin lid and also tried to get the old fuel fill hose out today. The 5200 set on the fuel tank strips so i am ready to install fuel tank. I ran a garden hose through the old fill hose so that I would hopefully be able to snake the new hose over the garden hose. I was able to seperate the old fill hose from the stainless deck fill. So it should be free now but when I try to pull it from where it comes into the fuel coffin it will not budge. Ive started searching here on the forum and looks like there could be some foam holding it in near the gunwale, at least on other models. Im gonna keep looking through the threads for ideas and try to get this old hose out, and new tank in!

March 08, 2017, 09:27:22 PM
Reply #8

Shua

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »
Update: After searching on here It appears there is not any foam holding the fuel hose in on this model. Some people said it may just be pinched in there.  I am gonna keep trying to shove the old hose the down further through the fill hole until i can yank it out through the coffin! Tons of great info on this forum!

March 10, 2017, 07:02:22 PM
Reply #9

Shua

• Information Offline
222 Osprey Restoration
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
I am still trying to remove the old fuel fill hose. I have seen several threads where people recommend twisting the hose to break it free. Today I tried drilling through the old fuel fill hose where it comes through the coffin, insert a tool, and twist but it just fell apart and didn't break free. I stuck my camera through a little round access in the right front deck hatch which revealed the hoses running through foam. It looks like the foam is glassed too. Im wondering if i need to cut another hole in the hatch in order to access this foam and try to remove some of it/ free the hoses. If anybody has any insight on this please let me know.

In the picture you can see where the lines go through foam before the turn up towards the deck fill on the cap. The view is towards the hull side. The foam looks like its glassed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal