Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Trailers

Triailer Tire Upgrades?

(1/1)

daniel123:
I have a 1999 Osprey 200 that the manual says weighs 2300 lbs with a 115 outboard. I just installed a 130hp ETEC that they say weighs 405 lbs, or 60 lbs more, than the 115 so going by that, I figure the boat and motor now weigh somewhere around 2360 lbs. Does that sound right?

I have added a T-top at 100 lbs and four series 27 batteries at 63 lbs each for 252 lbs,for a toal of 352 lbs.

A full 45-gallon tank at 7 lbs per gallon adds 315 lbs.

That's 3027 lbs. With gear, I'm guessing the boat, motor, and a full fuel tank weigh perhaps 3075-3100 lbs. Does that sound right?

My single-axle aluminum Continental trailer has a nearly new 3500 lb rated axle and matching springs, with a pair of Kenda Loadstar K550 ST 205/75 tires with a Load C rating. The tires read that they have a capacity of 1760 lbs, which I assume means each, for a combined capacity of 3520 lbs.

The tires are three years old, have good tread, but the insides of each tire are wearing faster than the outside.

I had them reversed on the rims to put the more worn sides out and the less worn sides in, to try to get a little extra life out of them.

A new tandem-axle trailer isn't an option right now.

Question: It's probably about time to buy new tires. Should I consider upgraded/higher capacity tires of some kind?

AquaNewbie:
You didn't say if those are 14 or 15" wheels or if they are radials or not.

I would definitely go with radials.  They run a lot cooler than bias ply tires and there is very little difference in price.

Your first option is to go to a load range D tire. 

If you have 15" wheels you can also go to a 225R75D15 and those will be well above 2000 lbs each.
The 225 is the width in mm.   So the 225s are 20 mm wider.  Which is less than an inch.

I recently bought some 225R75-15 tires from Discount Tire and their prices were reasonable, I think about $89 each, and they were load range E, which IMO is even better.

Dave

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version