Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: CoreLite for a transom core  (Read 801 times)

February 15, 2017, 08:33:54 AM
Read 801 times

Islander

• Information Offline
CoreLite for a transom core
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »
I'm getting ready to purchase materials for my core and have been considering using CoreLite. Coosa is just a little out of my budget for all of the work that I need to do (transom, stringer caps, bulkheads), so my plan was to use marine plywood until I was told about CoreLite. It fits my budget and makes sense for what I need, but I'm slightly nervous about using it for a transom core.

I was planning on using two pieces of 3/4" CoreLite material with  a layer of 1708 and 3/4 mat in between.

I only found a two rebuilds that use the CoreLite for a transom. They were both recent, so no follow ups on how the material worked. Anyone out there have experience (or know of anyone) with this material in a transom core? Or anyone want to talk me into another direction?

February 15, 2017, 09:56:38 AM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: CoreLite for a transom core
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:56:38 AM »
 No experience with CoreLite, but the website lists transom as a designed application.  Another option is to only use the Coosa in the transom and use a less expensive option everywhere else.

I used 2 sheets of 3/4" Carbon Core (same spec as Coosa) for my transom, and I had enough scrap to cap my stringers.  There's still enough left to Core my gunnels and bow cap as well as install backing blocks for cleats etc.  I'm using lighter and cheaper Airex for other Core applications.  My below deck bulkheads are Divynecell H-130 panels that I got at a great price.

To make a long story less long, you can use the Coosa only where you need its compression strength, and go cheaper elsewhere.

Good luck with your project.  Look forward to watching your progress.

February 15, 2017, 03:43:50 PM
Reply #2

CaptDuck

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
I wanted to use core lite 1 1/2" thick for my transom as well. However with the cost of the sheet and shipping to Virginia at right around $600. It wasn't an option for me. So I am going with 3/4" coosa and use scrap pieces else where on the boat!

February 17, 2017, 10:41:56 PM
Reply #3

Islander

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the help. I need to look into carbon core as another solution. I think I saw that Fiberglass Coatings in St. Pete which is a better drive for me than Miami for the CoreLite.

I've been following both of your rebuilds. Great stuff. Helps me feel like I can actually do this.

February 18, 2017, 06:15:08 AM
Reply #4

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:15:08 AM »
Since you're in Longwood, you may want to consider looking into Gulfstream Composites in Vero Beach and Fiberglass Florida in Rockledge.  I find it better to drive to the east coast than deal with Tampa/ St Pete traffic.  I've gotten most of my supplies from gulfstream and Joel has treated me well.

February 19, 2017, 07:01:38 PM
Reply #5

Islander

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:01:38 PM »
Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to go to Gulfstream this week. I just checked out their website and they have everything that I need.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal