You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Poly Glow  (Read 506 times)

April 04, 2017, 10:17:18 PM
Read 506 times

mischmerz

• Information Offline
Poly Glow
« on: April 04, 2017, 10:17:18 PM »

Well .. first I'd like to thank all of you for your inputs. Second - I had my own "Aquasport" decals cut in my local vinyl store ($15) and they turned out beautiful. I posted the image I used to have the decals cut somewhere in the forum, but you can PN me if you want me to send it to you. It's 1558x416px so every vinyl store should be able to work with it.

Anyway - after a lot of research and thinking I finally decided not to re-paint my boat. Partly because I screw stuff like that up easily and second - it was too expensive. I decided to go for Poly-Glow. I understand that this locks me in with the stuff and that the boat might never be paintable again - but let's be realistic: This boat is 30 years old and it was on it's way into the afterlife (do boats dream?) before I got it.  I already invested way too much into it and have to come to a close with all the work. To be honest - I didn't expect much from it. So I wanted to make sure any failure wouldn't be my fault. I sanded the boat with 400 grid, used their powder cleaner and finally their chemical cleaner, flushed everything nicely and let the boat dry for an hour. I then applied 6 layers of Poly Glow.

The result is nothing short of amazing. No - it's not a sparkling new coat of color. But it very, very nice. We'll see how it holds up, but even if I have to apply a couple of new layers once in a while - that takes maybe 1 hour or so and I still have 1/2 the bottle.

Judge it yourself. This image was taken about 7 hours after the last layer was applied. It's dry and ready to go. So - for the time being I am restless convinced that this stuff is really an alternative to make your boat look nice again.

Michaela.

April 04, 2017, 11:06:38 PM
Reply #1

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Re: Poly Glow
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:06:38 PM »
Looks nice. The great thing about poly glow is it's not permanent.  Ammonia will take it right off.

My opinion is the gel coat on that boat is not as bad as you think it is. If it is not all spider cracked (looks like it's not). Some 1000 grit sandpaper and some Aqua buff 2000 will polish it right up.

Postmortem pics!
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

April 04, 2017, 11:22:43 PM
Reply #2

mischmerz

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:22:43 PM »
I may revert it during off season (Dec-Mar) . For now I am getting ready to move the boat to the marina where I (finally!) got a slip (roof covered) with slings to lift the boat up. Gulf of Mexico .. get ready for the Tauri :D

m.

April 05, 2017, 06:04:57 AM
Reply #3

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 06:04:57 AM »
Well done....get out there and use her.
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal