Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: New kicker install grief  (Read 1213 times)

August 15, 2013, 02:26:10 PM
Read 1213 times

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
    • http://www.charliesautobodyinc.com/
New kicker install grief
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:26:10 PM »
While I got the new kicker motor a while back Yamaha 9.9 High thrust electric start and tilt.
Got their latest model T 9.9 Xphb.
Install would of been a whole lot easier if my FF was 8'6" at the stern instead of 7' and a few inches.
Some of you might remember the issues I had with the placement of the trim tabs by the PO.
After a complete rebuild of the transom and proper location of the tabs it was smooth sailing till I got this new kicker.
The new kicker has a much larger mounting plate because of the electric tilt.

This photo is after I had installed a 3/4" piece of starboard to the top of the transom. The trim pump motor cleared but pivots just enough forward that it would hit the tab when tilting up the engine.

I tried moving the engine to the port side further but then the handle would come in contact with the 200 Yami.
Found a piece of 1/2" starboard and used that as a shim to bring motor back further.

Yee Haa it cleared :D ......... well until I lowered the tilt anyways, lower unit hit the tab plane

Installed a bolt to prevent it from tilting down too far, took care of that problem

Anyways spent the better part of a Saturday doing a  job that should have taken a hour

Had in on for 3 weeks or so, ain't had time to try it out yet :(

Bill
1979 222 FF

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

August 15, 2013, 03:03:15 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: New kicker install grief
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »
Bill, it's a boat...what did you expect?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 15, 2013, 03:22:47 PM
Reply #2

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 03:22:47 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
Bill, it's a boat...what did you expect?

Bob
Ain't that the truth  :lol:
Got to be honest with you ..... every time I work on the boat and I am cussing about one thing or another cause it's not going good, I think about you and wonder.......

Why the "HELL" would Bob do this for a living. :salut:   :cheers:

Bill
1979 222 FF

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

August 15, 2013, 03:33:10 PM
Reply #3

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »
You just shake your head, mutter under your breath, and soldier on.  I love boats, what can I say?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 15, 2013, 04:10:06 PM
Reply #4

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »
Nice Job.  One question.  Why not put it on a kicker mount of some type to give you more room?

I have been thinking of putting a kicker on the 245 but I just HATE the idea of drilling more holes in my boat!  Unlike your install I'll HAVE to use a bracket of some type.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

August 16, 2013, 11:44:40 AM
Reply #5

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:44:40 AM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
Nice Job.  One question.  Why not put it on a kicker mount of some type to give you more room?

I have been thinking of putting a kicker on the 245 but I just HATE the idea of drilling more holes in my boat!  Unlike your install I'll HAVE to use a bracket of some type.
I have thought about a bracket and have done some measuring.
Now I am no engineer mind you but I am afraid if I move the kicker back from the transom the handle will actually come in contact with the other motor quicker than it does now. Same if I put it on a bracket and moved the bracket more to starboard.
I have been looking a bracket called Remote-Troll. http://www.remotetroll.com/ It sets the kicker back around 9" from the transom
You set your kicker on it, lock in the the steering on the kicker. The bracket turns via either a wired or wireless hand held remote, looks like a sweet setup. You have the option of still manually steering the kicker with the tiller if need be.
1979 222 FF

- Winston Churchill

Bill

August 25, 2013, 06:45:09 PM
Reply #6

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 06:45:09 PM »
I finally got the chance to run the new kicker :)
This is my 4th yami kicker since 1990.....one only made it a year , brain fart on my part  :oops: .....

This is one sweet running kicker  :D
By far the smoothest running, easiest starting, and quietest trolling motor I have ever run across.......
and the power tilt is the ticket....my back ain't getting any younger
 :thumleft: to Yamaha

I quess I will have to wait and see if this one rots out before "I" do   :wink:

Bill
1979 222 FF

- Winston Churchill

Bill

August 30, 2013, 08:50:24 AM
Reply #7

Curious

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »
Hey Bill,
Do you have any idea what kind of speed you can get out of that motor?  I am looking to install a 9.9 on my boat, strictly for getting back home if the main motor craps out. Also, how did you set up the fuel line to the kicker?  Did you Y off the main line with a valve?  I have no desire to have a seperate portable tank so 4 stroke kicker fueled off the main tank is the only option.

The area between the main motor and the trim tab measures approximately 20" so I plan to find a 20" kicker and mount it direct as opposed to a bracket.

Sorry about all your install issues, but at least it's done now....
Dan
Dan
1978 22 Family Fisherman
1996 Yamaha 200 SW Series

August 30, 2013, 11:21:05 AM
Reply #8

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
Hi Dan
I have had to limp back to port a few times over the last 20 years.
With my other 9.9s they would push my boat according to the gps between 7 & 8 mph.
Of course it depends on what the tide and wind was doing.
With the lower gearing and the big prop these little buggers can really push.
In our parts most of our fishing is done by trolling, I have seen these kickers used for trolling motors on boats up to 30' long.

My fuel filter housing has 2 fuel line outlets

I see you just put in a new fuel tank a while back, if you didn't already do it junk the anti-siphon valve.
These small engines don't have enough "sucking" power to open the valve.
Just got rid of the one in my tank this summer ......
only took me 20 years....after reading a topic about them on here........to figure out why my kickers kept running out of gas. :oops:  
Bill
1979 222 FF

- Winston Churchill

Bill

August 30, 2013, 11:51:34 AM
Reply #9

Curious

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »
Thanks Bill, 7-8 isn't too bad, (better than nothing at all!)  There was no discussion with Luther's Welding about an anit-siphon valve when they built the tank, does it definately have one?  
Thanks, Dan
Dan
1978 22 Family Fisherman
1996 Yamaha 200 SW Series

August 30, 2013, 12:20:32 PM
Reply #10

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »
This be it.
I ain't positive but I think it may be law that the tank builder must install  the anti-siphon valve when building a new tank.
I installed this tank in late 99. The date on the photo is when I got rid of the valve.
Have had no more issues with kickers running out of fuel since..
The valve is in the fitting your fuel line hooks up to.

1979 222 FF

- Winston Churchill

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal