Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: What transom portion supports engine?  (Read 559 times)

March 19, 2007, 06:05:41 PM
Read 559 times

rburlington

What transom portion supports engine?
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:05:41 PM »
A new transom question.

I cut off the back skin of my 24'6" ExFisherman (1981 model) outboard.  The transom cavity is of various thicknesses.  From the level of the transom cap between the risers and down to the V at the drain plug it is about 2" deep.  This part was wet and rotten.  From above the transom cap and going up into the risers up it is about 1/2 inch deep.  This part is dry.

It appears that two or more pieces of plywood were put together to form the entire core of the transom.  One of them is more or less the shape of the back of the boat including the risers and was about 1/2' and 1 of them (much thicker, nearly 1 1/2 inches thick) is the shape of back of the boat from the level of the transom cap down to the bottom of the boat at the drain.  It is this shape that I marked out on the back skin and cut out.

Here is my question:  Is it this thicker portion, the one shaped like the back of the boat minus the risers that is the real workhorse part of the transom.  I am thinking that everthing above the level of the transom cap has little to nothing to do with the engine and its support because it is so thin (1/2") and everything below the transom cap and risers that handles the weight and stress because it is so thick (1 1/2")  Is this correct?  If so, can I replace this lower thicker part and ignore risers which I perfer not to cut into?

RGB

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal