You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Rod Rack Mod?  (Read 1251 times)

February 23, 2012, 01:10:22 PM
Read 1251 times

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
Rod Rack Mod?
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:10:22 PM »

I have these absolutely miserable rod racks in the hull of my 1990 170...Just useless, as you can see, awkward sliding rods in there and too narrow for wide eyelets on medium to heavy rods.  My apologies for shotty picture, was taken at night under shrinkwrap.

My questions are: What would be the downside of cutting the hull open where the rods slide in (where there are currently holes), so there is an open square as opposed to  holes?  Water can get into the holes as they are now, but it will be able to get in easier if i cut it open for easy in/ easy out rod storage.  I assume I would also have to epoxy coat the edges of the inside-facing fiberglass after cutting.  I'm just worried about water getting in and compromising the hull integrity in the long term.  Sound off!  I know there's some 175 owners out there.  

Note: I'm not talking about cutting into the hull towards the bow, too much work.  Just a square shape where the holes are now so it will be easier to get rods in.
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

February 23, 2012, 02:14:20 PM
Reply #1

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
Re: Rod Rack Mod?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:14:20 PM »
Use the gunwale rod storage for your Deck Brush, Gaff, Boat Hook etc... get a couple of these (just an example, they make them cheaper in all starboard no Teak) mount them in a good area and your done.  And no cutting up your Aquasport  :thumright:
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP8 ... -and-racks
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

February 23, 2012, 03:54:04 PM
Reply #2

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »
It would be nice to have a secure wind-free place for storage during long rides, or times when you're not primarily fishing but want rods on hand in case you see activity...

But, you're probably right. Not worth the effort and risk.
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

February 23, 2012, 06:36:21 PM
Reply #3

slippery73

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
How big are the guides on your rods??  The holes look plenty big enough to get most rods in.  Looks like a 2 1/2" hole easy.

November 23, 2018, 07:58:05 AM
Reply #4

hudsport

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 07:58:05 AM »
im having the same issue those holes are not big enough for my flats rods very tight fit and good chance you will damage a guide. any ideas guys , i was thinking of just putting up some nice netting and using it for storage?

November 28, 2018, 02:35:51 PM
Reply #5

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »

My questions are: What would be the downside of cutting the hull open where the rods slide in (where there are currently holes), so there is an open square as opposed to  holes?  Water can get into the holes as they are now, but it will be able to get in easier if i cut it open for easy in/ easy out rod storage.  I assume I would also have to epoxy coat the edges of the inside-facing fiberglass after cutting.  I'm just worried about water getting in and compromising the hull integrity in the long term.  Sound off!  I know there's some 175 owners out there. 

Note: I'm not talking about cutting into the hull towards the bow, too much work.  Just a square shape where the holes are now so it will be easier to get rods in.

You're talking about cutting the liner, right?  not the hull. Opening the liner too much would expose the flotation foam to water.  That leads to water logged foam.  Have you considered putting in rod tubes?  Here's a link to some made by TH: https://thmarinesupplies.com/products/custom-rod-tubes

You could enlarge the holes, and the tubes would help keep water out, while making it much easier to remove rods.

November 29, 2018, 06:38:25 AM
Reply #6

hudsport

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 06:38:25 AM »
nice thats a good idea. thanks

January 28, 2019, 11:54:50 PM
Reply #7

Corynelsonflkeys

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 11:54:50 PM »
If you enlarge the tubes just shove a piece of pvs in the hole with a cap on the end and glass it in place to create a water tight tube. IF theres foam behind that wall the foam will support the pipe from moving you'll just have to hallow it out with the pvs first. if you sharpen one end of the pvs it should cut a perfect hole in the foam and boom your good to go.

But to the original post, if you do decide to cut the square out and it not be filled with foam the water will just drain into the bilge. There's a pipe in the aft of the stringer that allows the water to exit that part of the boat down into the center bilge. To test it, you could just take a hose and put a little water in and watch the bilge near the back hatch to see if the water is draining like it should.
It'll buff out!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal