Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: New to me 1995 245 Explorer - Any common areas to review or adjust on hull?  (Read 910 times)

August 19, 2019, 10:41:31 AM
Read 910 times

RuprictVA

• Information Offline
Hi, brand new to this forum and to Aquasport ownership (1995 245 Explorer).  Just sold my 77 Wellcraft V20 and was looking for a boat with a strong user base online.  So here I am..

Question for those of you that are familiar with the mid-90's builds of Aquasport's.  What are the most common areas that need to be remedied on the hull or with the electronics, etc?  I am not worrying about the engine as I know it is going to take work (1995 225 Evinrude) From working with the V20's I know that the Transom and the saddle tanks needed to be looked at first, just wondering if there is a "Gotcha" in the Aquasports that I need to really pay attention to initally.

The only finding that I know needs changing on this new boat is the floor over the gas tank.  It is soft or has a ton of flex, but all around the tank it feels very firm.  I believe that the tank is original but it appears that there has been a section of fiberglass directly above the tank that had been removed (or this could be an original cut line, I am not sure) . 

Are there other areas on the 245 that seem to have an abnormal number of rework?  I would rather know what to check "for safety" now rather than finding it on the water.

Thank you!
Jason

August 19, 2019, 11:39:19 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
If you haven't seen this, start here.

We don't see a lot of major problems with the Genmar era hulls but poor sealing of deck penetrations has resulted in soft decks. A photo or two of your deck would help your description because I'm not quite sure what model year Aqua stopped including a fuel tank coffin cover (I have one on my 91).  The link below is for a 98 245 Osprey (your hull with a different cap) that suffered a fuel tank leak and did a replacement. The member had to cut the deck for tank access. If you do have a cover, it may have been removed at some point and not properly sealed which could result in a soft deck but more important, allowed water into the coffin that can cause corrosion to the aluminum tank.

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=11399.msg111991#msg111991

Post up a pick so we can see what's going on.

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal