Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Help me decide  (Read 252 times)

August 30, 2018, 12:09:18 AM
Read 252 times

gipper11

• Information Offline
Help me decide
« on: August 30, 2018, 12:09:18 AM »
Hello Team Aquasport.  I need your help.  I am new here, so...Hello!  I just sold my '94 18' edgewater that was my first boat.  I used it for mainly in shore stuff here in southern Maine.  I want to upgrade to something bigger because my father in-law that likes to come fishing with me is a retired Vet and has a bad back.  He said the edgewater was very uncomfortable for him as it pounded us pretty hard in moderate chop.  So my Criteria for the next boat is 20-23 feet since I trailer to the local ramp and often launch by myself, 4 stroke motor and a livewell.  I also want Hydraulic steering, but I figure most configurations like this will have it, and a t-top (that's not a must as I could always add it).  I will mainly do some stiper fishing, pull lobster traps, and some off shore stuff.  but the big thing is it needs to give good ole FIL a smooth ride.  also we have a budget of under $15k.  The reason I am here telling you nice folks my life story is that I found a 1999 Ospray 205 that checks off all the boxes.  It has a low hour 200 hp Honda and all the other stuff I need.  the only problem is I'm not sure what the condition of the boat is in.  The motor seems fine from his description, but it has some cosmetic issues.  For example, some spider cracking and some holes in the deck from when they replaced the leaning post. He also told me the livewell doesn't work.  I'm not super mechanical, but I bet I could tackle that as long as I can reach the pump. I will post some pics below.  It doesn't look too pretty from the ad, but I'm not sure if it because the boat is in bad shape or the seller is just a bad photographer/salesman.  He told me the holes are filled with silicon and cracks are just cosmetic.  However, my "Boat Consultant" told me the cracks look like they could be from an impact and the holes can lead to water intrusion.  He told me to stay away, but I really want to like the boat.  Also, it is well below the budget.  So do you folks think I should run, or give it a chance.  Also, and most importantly, will it give me the ride I am looking for.  The other problem is the boat is 4 hours away, so I want to make sure I have your blessing before I drive down to check it out.  Here is the ad https://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/d/1999-aquasport-205-asprey/6677480444.html

August 30, 2018, 07:25:15 AM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Help me decide
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:25:15 AM »
There’s no way you’ll really know without looking at it in person. The attached photos make the boat look dirty more than in bad shape. 

I can’t tell for sure in the photos, but it looks like the holes around the leaning post may have been filled.  If so, that would be good, since it would minimize water intrusion.  Whether they were filled or not, you want to check the whole deck for soft spots.  Im pretty sure that the deck on 199 AS was still cored with wood, but smaller soft spots can be repaired without major surgery.  Many on this website have done it and gotten years of service out of their boats.

The spider cracking does look like impact damage, but it’s still not necessarily a major thing. Gel coat is not at all flexible and fiberglass laminate will flex, so it could just be a cosmetic repair. I’d press on the area looking for soft spots in the glass of signs that the gel is separating from the glass.  Again, even if the underlying glass needs to be repaired, it could be manageable. 

You also want to check the fuel system and wiring for issues.  Nearly anything can be repaired, but only you can decide your level of commitment.  Any issues you find, may become bargaining chips.  I have no real experience with the later Aquasports, but I see nothing in the photos that would scare me away if I was happy with the price.

August 30, 2018, 09:55:09 AM
Reply #2

SteelHead

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
Re: Help me decide
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
Gipper 11, first welcome to the club . I am not an expert, although I have done my share of work on FG boats, wood ones too. The Aquasport in this post looks to be in "good- ok" condition ,but that is because the owner picked out the pictures to show . The only way to decide is to see the boat in person . Ask questions and follow-up questions too. A seller will only divulge information if asked, they don't volunteer things they know to be wrong, if they are at all trying to hide an issue . While some issues are obvious, many are not. (Do both bilge pumps work, how about running lights, horn,electronics, what is the condition of batteries, age , is the steering sloppy (does it turn lock-to-lock without dead spots), if it has trim tabs do they work or are they slow to respond ,check expiration dates on safety equipment there is more to a boat than spider cracks in the jell coat )     I personally would not buy a boat without a test drive ,ask if its currently registered ,if not why, when was it last in the water ? Is the fuel fresh ,when was it last serviced, are the tires on the trailer in good shape ,bearings and rollers too. A quick look at the whole package will give you insight on how the owner approaches the maintenance, then you can make an honest appraisal of the boat . A 4 hour trip is a long way to go maybe if he is willing to meet you half way ( hence registered) the deal can be made. While the price is in the ball park for a boat of that age in great condition any issues SHOULD be negotiated down if you are willing to do any repairs your self . If you can't drive it in the water and you are a serious buyer, I would pay for a survey at least. 12K is a lot of cash. I hope you find the boat you want good luck .  !     
It's nice to be important , but it's more important to be nice .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal