Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: New motor, who dis?! 1992 21 WAC repower  (Read 1417 times)

July 17, 2018, 11:13:33 PM
Read 1417 times

J_Franchise

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
New motor, who dis?! 1992 21 WAC repower
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:13:33 PM »
Hello gang -

I figured I'd share my experiences on here as I go about repowering the new (to me) boat - a 1992, 210 WAC.

A quick bit of background.  I purchased this boat with a good friend of mine.  We are both big into spearfishing, and the effort required to bum a ride on another diver's boat was getting to be a bit too much.  We were lucky enough to run into a fellow spearing guy who was in the market for something bigger, and the deal was done!  He was pretty sad to see her go; swore it was the perfect dive boat but the family just needed more room now as the kids were older. 

We knew right away that a new motor was going to be first order of business.  She currently has a late 1990s Suzuki 200hp, V6 2-stroke powering her.  I did a bunch of research - trying to figure out what engine to go with.  Basically that means I lurked on this forum and read all I could find for a while  :D  A huge shout out to Capt Bob, who gave me a ton of information.

So, the new engine is a 2018 Yamaha F200 LCA.  Extremely excited to get her on the boat!

Before speaking with Capt Bob and my local Yamaha engine dealer, I was completely unaware that the F200 was nearly impossible to get ahold of (major shortage in supply), but I got extremely lucky.   I had settled on the F150, and when the dealer called Yamaha to place the order, he asked for an estimate on the next availability for the F200.  Surprisingly the agent on the phone told him that a single F200 popped up as available on the inventory that morning.  It was literally the only one available in North America.  So yeah, I snatched that puppy up.

As always, gotta keep things interesting - so here are the challenges ahead:

1.  The new F200 has a 20" shaft.  That's not quite long enough for the 21 WAC.  For whatever reason, the PO must have run into the same thing with his Suzuki because the boat has a jack plate on the stern which lowers the engine.  Check it out:

This fixes the shaft length problem, but as you can see, you can no longer tilt the engine fully up to pull it out of the water.  Not ideal, even if we do store the boat dry.

So, I'm pulling off the old jack plate and installing a new T-H Marine Atlas Hydraulic Jack Plate.  This way, we can make sure the F200 sits at the right level in the water and it we can raise the jack plate and maintain full tilt function.

2.  Weight - so Suzuki comes in at around 465 lbs, and the Yamaha around 487 lbs.  So not a huge difference.  But, just to help the situation out I'm going to reposition the batteries from the stern to some yet to be determined position more towards the bow.

So, we'll see how this all goes.  I'm excited to see the work kick off.  Hoping to get it all started in the next week or two.  Oh!  I almost forgot that the digital controls.  Going with the Yamaha 6YC Command Link Gauge.  Excited to go to electronic controls and also clean up the dash a bit.

Well, I'll update this as we make progress.  Cheers!   :singing:

July 19, 2018, 07:23:51 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: New motor, who dis?! 1992 21 WAC repower
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 07:23:51 AM »
Like I said, the 200 hp inline 4s don't exist in this town so you did get lucky. 20" shaft length helped I'm thinking. Strange but interesting on the jack plate. I've contemplated putting one on mine to raise the motor a little higher. I can't get the ventilation plate to skim the surface and if I could raise it a little higher I may see better performance numbers but....

The cost to reward factor is limited I'm guessing and the more I run the boat, the more I'm adjusting to the performance which is comparable to my old 200 but is delivered in a different "style".

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

July 21, 2018, 06:01:09 AM
Reply #2

Levi

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 06:01:09 AM »
What if you get the spacer and have them change the driveshaft and shift shaft in your lower unit? Should cost way less than a new jackplate?

July 21, 2018, 11:07:02 AM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:07:02 AM »
You'd be MUCH better off with a spacer to convert it to a 25" shaft motor. A jackplate to drop it back and down 5" is just a Mikey mouse set up. Your putting the motor closer to the water. Any big following seas and your in trouble.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

July 21, 2018, 11:56:33 AM
Reply #4

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »
X2 on the 5" spacer kit.  It will cost you about $500, but you will be so much happier having the motor at the right height and not subject to immersion.  The Bay Manufacturing kits are known to be reliable and work well.  You may find one for cheap on eBay, but make sure it has all the parts! 

Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

July 24, 2018, 06:25:30 PM
Reply #5

J_Franchise

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 06:25:30 PM »
Thanks guys for the spacer info.  I will talk to my shop about that option.  Seems like something I need to get smart on...

August 22, 2018, 12:58:04 AM
Reply #6

J_Franchise

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 12:58:04 AM »
Alrighty - it's update time.  =)

I'll keep it brief  :043:  This repower is quickly turning into a more expensive project, but nobody said boats are cheap haha

1.  Old trailer was crap.  So we had a new, aluminum trailer built.  Hooray for unplanned expense number 1.

2.  We pulled the old engine off and found that the transom needed some repairs.  Unplanned expense number 2.

Brand new now!

3.  Steering was a little suspect, so new system installed.  Unplanned expense number 3.   :twirl1:

4.  Since we were in the dash installing the electronic controls for the new Yamaha, we decided to upgrade the chartplotter / fish finder / GPS.  Unplanned (but optional) expense number 4.  But hey, stoked to have the Garmin 741XS in there.  Much cleaner dash now.

5.  Oh yeah... the jack plate decision.  So, after speaking to fellow boat owners, the Yamaha dealer doing the work, and the PO - we made the call to continue on with the hydraulic jack plate.  Rationale is this:  the boat has had a jack plate on it for the last 10+ years with no engine height issues (no engine swamping concerns at all, even in following seas); the spacer kits get mixed reviews; and my buddy has a RIB that runs twin yamaha 115s with same shaft length off the back and he's never come close to having an issue.

Ok then.  Getting close.  Hoping to have it all wrapped up within a week.   :salut:

Sea trials this Saturday if all goes to plan...

August 22, 2018, 03:22:12 PM
Reply #7

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
Lookin' good!
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal