Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 1975 Aquasport 222 - Need opinions & Rebuild help  (Read 605 times)

September 15, 2018, 08:41:03 PM
Read 605 times

perchman97

• Information Offline
1975 Aquasport 222 - Need opinions & Rebuild help
« on: September 15, 2018, 08:41:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

I’m new to the site & need some help on my next step with the boat. I purchased the boat for a decent price a year back and knew it was going to need work in the near future. It has all the upgrades needed ex; livewell leaning post, stainless everything, folding tower, porta bracket, dual power poles etc. The transom is solid as a rock and was redone along with the floor. Everything was marine plywood & floor is glassed on both sides. After a quick ride the other day in a mild chop the tower all of a sudden got very loose and started to flex the floor to the point where it would raise up a cooler towards the bow. I was told that the stringers were re-done and they appear to be but he may have just glassed over them.. my real question here is where do I start? Should I bite the bullet and re-do it all & get it to my perfection. I don’t think I’ll have any issues doing it myself with the help of a good source of information. Whoever “rebuilt” it in the past did a half ass job on some stuff and other stuff looks great. What do you think the cost is to replace stringers & the deck? I would really like to eliminate the wood and go back with composite. Any input it greatly appreciated.

September 16, 2018, 12:42:47 PM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: 1975 Aquasport 222 - Need opinions & Rebuild help
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 12:42:47 PM »
I think it’s important to figure out why the deck is flexing before planning a course of action. 

Have the stringers broken free from the hull?  Was the deck laminated on both top and bottom?  Is the deck bonded to the stringers, or is it floating above them?  Is the deck starting to rot? Or delaminates?  If so, it might be reason to suspect the quality of the work on the transom.

If you can get any photos of the rebuild in process, it might suggest what the problem is.  You may be able to see what’s going on through any access plates or hatches, or it may be a necessary to cut some inspection holes in the deck.  Once you understand the problem, then you’ll know the scope of the repair.

September 16, 2018, 07:21:34 PM
Reply #2

Tampa Bay Mike

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: 1975 Aquasport 222 - Need opinions & Rebuild help
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
How was the tower attached? If it's just screwed to the floor your stringers could be ok. In any case I wouldn't get back up in that thing until it's secure. One nice wave could turn a relatively easy fix into a disaster.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal