Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 357 times)

May 02, 2018, 09:01:19 PM
Read 357 times

radioFlyer55

• Information Offline
Hello
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:01:19 PM »
Hello, my name is Peter, I am new here, and pretty new to boating (very new, actually). Some years ago I made a strip-built kayak, so I have some experience with working with fiberglass and epoxy, and I am a pretty decent carpenter. Last fall I bought a 1975 Aquasport, not sure off the top of my head whether its a 170 or a 175, but no matter. I am sure no one will be surprised to hear it has a spongy deck and (probably) a compromised transom. I have cut out the deck behind the coffin, which is the worst area. There is some additional sponginess on the port side as well. So my thoughts and questions right now are:

1) I plan to replace the rear deck with 15/32" Home Depot BCX plywood. I have some questions about how to actually attach this to the edges of the deck (sole?).
2) I also need to better understand the various different types of fiberglass out there. I used (I think) 6 ox. cloth on the kayak, that's probably a bit light for this job? What would make sense as a layup for this project?
3) I am kind of just assuming epoxy is the way to go, I have about a gallon on hand anyway, but is there an advantage to polyester in this case?
4) I would like to install a bilge pump and am looking into that; the most un-obvious issue is how/where to route the wast hose.
5) I am hoping to not do the transom this year- I would actually like to get out into the Chesapeake Bay this summer. Since I have the rear deck opened up, is there anything I should check or plan for now?
6) I have seen some videos about pumping an epoxy mixture into soft decks, I am thinking that may be the way to deal with the remaining spongy spots.
7) I think I know how to fix deck holes where the backing is still in place (drill out carefully, fill with thickened epoxy, drill pilot hole), but I do not know how to repair holes such as in the lip for the coffin lid- there is nothing behind the hole to fill against.

I suspect all this stuff is answered SOMEWHERE in this site, and I intend to keep reading, but any pointers would be appreciated. Also, if I am off base, don't be shy, let me know.

Thanks,
-Peter Helck

When we bought this boat, we knew it would be a learning experience; that's what we wanted. Having said that, I am interested in being smart, safe, and not going broke. My deck does not have to be beautiful, but it should be strong

May 03, 2018, 05:34:36 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 05:34:36 AM »
Welcome Peter!!
In '75 the model was a 170. You refer to a "coffin" - what exactly are you talking about?
Can you post some pics of the boat and your progress?  Follow these directions to upload your pics to your gallery here. https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=12725.0
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 04, 2018, 02:04:40 PM
Reply #2

radioFlyer55

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
the bilge laid bare - a bit windblown at the moment. I drilled a couple of holes in the stringers at the aft end, no water came out.

May 04, 2018, 02:12:19 PM
Reply #3

radioFlyer55

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 02:12:19 PM »
This illustrates a rather widened-out (& rotted out) CC mounting hole, and a completely useless coffin lid screw hole

May 04, 2018, 03:34:35 PM
Reply #4

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 03:34:35 PM »
Ahhh, you were talking about the tank lid.
The stringers in the aft look to be in good shape and bonded.
If you "attach" pics you are limited by file size and you always end up with a small pic - if you upload to the gallery (you have one, its free) there is no file size or picture size limitation.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal