Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: ETEC System Check  (Read 763 times)

January 02, 2018, 04:53:35 PM
Read 763 times

daniel123

• Information Offline
ETEC System Check
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »
I just installed a 2013 130 hp ETEC outboard and the system check warning beep and light gauge activates when the 200 Osprey takes a bump underway and it's annoying as heck. It's the system check gauge that worked fine with the previous 1998 Johnson 115 that my mechanic/rigger said I may as well keep since it was working fine with the previous motor. But now it's not. I also noticed that sometimes -- but not every time -- the same wave bump that causes the system check to activate also causes by amp gauge to jump to low/off and back to full again. Any advice on how to trouble-shoot those issues?       

January 02, 2018, 07:30:32 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: ETEC System Check
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:30:32 PM »
I can't answer your question - sorry - someone will be along soon to help.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

January 03, 2018, 09:55:32 AM
Reply #2

daniel123

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:55:32 AM »
Thanks, Rick. I await with baited breath.

January 04, 2018, 12:05:41 PM
Reply #3

Capt. Bill

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »
I'm surprised a mechanic would keep the warning gauge or "brain" from a 98 Johnson and use it on a 13 Etec.  These two motors are completely different animals and have completely different sensors.  I upgraded from a 97 Johnson to an 08 Etec and got a new set of warning lights or "brain" with the motor.  That being said, it sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Because, the amp gauge is also affected it sounds like a ground wire.  I'd start with the Neg battery cables.  If they salt up, the "brain" looses track of what its suppose to watch and alarms will sound. This also sends the amp gauge to zero, and shuts off any electronics.   
Capt. Bill
Amy Marie
215 Explorer
Member # 2155

January 04, 2018, 02:33:45 PM
Reply #4

daniel123

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 02:33:45 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for the reply and feedback. The used E-Tec came with a warning gauge and wiring harness, but I had replaced the harness when troubleshooting the 98 Johnson last year and the mechanic said that since the warning gauge already in the dash was working fine there was no reason to replace either that gauge or the harness with what came with the E-tek, so I sold them with the Johnson. Which I guess I now regret.

Should I get a new E-Tec warning gauge? I'm also considering an E-Tec remote control, since the engine I bought came with a side control (that the buyer of my Johnson required) and my boat needs a binnacle mount, so I kept the original control too. I hear the E-tec controls are smoother. Thoughts?   

January 05, 2018, 09:55:33 AM
Reply #5

Capt. Bill

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:55:33 AM »
Since I don't know what your wiring harness looks like, I couldn't give you an honest answer. My gut is telling me if you were to upgrade the brain then you would also need the harness.  The problem is, your old Johnson was a carburetorated engine. The only thinks that were really monitored was oil & water.  You put the throttle down, you opened the jets on the carburetor and fuel dumped into the cylinders through the intake ports. The ignition module told the coil packs when to fire based on RPMs. None of that was monitored and you didn't realize anything was wrong until the engine didn't run right.

On your Etec, everything is run through the on-board computer.  The computer tells the fuel injectors how much fuel mixture to put in based on the engine temp. and RPM.  It also doesn't allow the  fuel injectors to fire until the pistons are past the exhaust ports, which keeps raw fuel from coming out the exhaust and is how they meet the EPA standards. The computer also tells the plugs to fire at the optimal time for the best performance. All of this is monitored by the brain, through sensors mounted on the motor. Your wiring harness would need a wire for each of them. So you know, other then low oil or water, most of them just turn on the check engine light. You need a lap top, with the BRP program, to plug into the engine to find out the problem.  Indecently, as of now BRP will only sell the program to certified Etec mechanics. There is a case pending in the courts trying to force BRP to release it to everyone.

As far as the controls, I really didn't notice any real difference in the performance between my original OMC/Johnson throttle and the BRP/Etec one, but that could just be me.
Capt. Bill
Amy Marie
215 Explorer
Member # 2155

January 05, 2018, 10:39:06 AM
Reply #6

daniel123

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
Thanks for the excellent info, Capt Bill. I'm regretting not using the harness and system check gauge that came with the used motor when I bought it. The guy who recommended/rigged it was a long time Evinrude dealer who had originally sold and was familiar with that particular motor and did the rigging personally. I trusted him about using the old gauge and the existing wiring harness that had been installed by another dealer less than a year before I switched motors. Is there any way to check to see if that harness is an upgrade model that is offering the ETEC info? Do you think I should install a new system check gauge?

I may stick with the original remote control, opting instead to spend the $ to make sure I get the best possible engine operation and info from the ETEC harness and gauge.

Since you seem to know those outboards, I have a related question: each time after running the ETEC at high speed last week in FLA, and throttling back, there was quite a bit of vapor coming off it for several minutes. Enough that my teenage son commented on it. The pee stream was dribbling, if not streaming as with the two stroke '98, so I figured the water pump/impeller were operating, but the vapor/steam coming out the exhaust at the same time did seem to be excessive. Is that normal? 

January 05, 2018, 12:50:18 PM
Reply #7

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 12:50:18 PM »
Sorry I just noticed this thread.  I know quite a bit about Etecs especially after rebuilding two of them.  Nothing wrong with using your old system check gauge with your new Etec.  The system check gauge is controlled differently by the Etec then it was by your old motor.  On the Etec the alarms are sent to it by the EMM.  If you are getting an alarm when you hit a bump you probably just have a loose ground or power wire that cycles your System check on and off making it think you just turned on the key.  Alarms generated by the Etec will be a long tone and will turn on a light and leave it on.  Another possible source of your problem (I've seen this on more than one boat) is your key switch is momentarily shutting off...  It turns off just enough to turn off the power to the engine gauges and system check... but not far enough to to close the magneto ground portion of the circuit that shuts the engine down.  It can be either a worn key switch... or a worn key.  I found one of my keys is worn out and it will sometime do this to me.. while my new key does not do this. (you can buy a new key from the dealer just get the number off your current key).

The exhaust on the Etecs is CONSIDERABLY hotter than your old Johnson.  They burn MUCH leaner and cleaner resulting in the much hotter exhaust.  Also they run at a lower water pressure.  Have you check the mounting height of the new motor when on a plane?  Do you have a water pressure gauge?

Also do you have any N2K capable chart plotters on your boat?  If so it is easy to connect the Etec to a N2K network and get all kinds of data.  Or you can get a I-command gauge that will give you all kinds of info. 

Edit:

I just reread your post.  I missed the part about your amp gauge jumping.  My money is on the key switch.  Or you have a plug in your wire harness that is not fully plugged in.  Your wire harness is called the MWS (Modular Wire Harness) and consists of Deutsch connectors that are VERY reliable. So my bet is the key switch.

BRP will sell you the diagnostic software, but they want an INSANE amount of $$$ for it.  Also you need a special cable to connect to your computer.  You can get a copy of it and the cable on Ebay from sellers that are outside the US.  I think mine came from a guy in Croatia. 

Also there is a bunch of info over on www.etecownersgroup.com  some of the mods are very particular about how you post questions though.  Be sure to include your model and serial number or you might get flamed for it.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

January 05, 2018, 03:04:39 PM
Reply #8

daniel123

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »
That's a relief about the harness and the gauge, Rick. I want to trust my mechanic/dealer friend who advised keeping them to save me money on his rigging job, and based on what you have shared it sounds like he offered good advice. Ditto the vapor; I have not checked the mounting height (looking for...?) and just have a traditional water temp gauge. Is it normal for the coolant indicator to be more of a dribble than a pee stream at idle?

The alarm issue may be the key/switch; twice on the trip I thought I had dead batteries when trying to start and getting nothing, but after wiggling the key a bit it started fine. And while that only happened twice, the beeping underway did get worse as the trip wore on and I used the boat/motor daily. So a new key itself may remedy that? Does the fact that not every time the system check restarted would the voltage appear to momentarily drop mean anything with regard to it being the key/switch?

I have a new Helix 9 fish finder. Would that offer the N2K data you refer to?

I'll join the E-TEC owners group; never thought of that. If it's half as helpful as this one, it will be an invaluable resource!

January 05, 2018, 06:23:20 PM
Reply #9

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 06:23:20 PM »
Actually Wings name is Bruce, not Rick ;-)
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

January 06, 2018, 10:11:55 AM
Reply #10

daniel123

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »
Sorry about that Bruce...

January 07, 2018, 10:49:03 PM
Reply #11

wingtime

• Information Offline