Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Wasn't able to flush it  (Read 468 times)

October 04, 2017, 09:43:05 PM
Read 468 times

floridamisser52

• Information Offline
Wasn't able to flush it
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:43:05 PM »
When coming back to the ramp my starter gave out and now just replaced the starter on my 1998 evenrude 90 hp spl on same year model 175. First time not able to flush. It was a month or more since I finally replaced the starter and now ready to go. This motor is 19 years old with my guess less than 300 hours on it. Should I do anything like put in a 10%vinegar  wash or salt away?  Also, this old girl only hits 5k rpm on the tach loaded for fishing with my Dad and I. Also, before the starter went out with a finger check for temp readings one side of the powerhead was a bit warmer than the otherside. My thermostat's have never been changed but it looks like I'll have to pull the Power head to put a socket on those most likely bolts. To change the stats will I most likely have to pull the power head? Thanks in advance!

October 05, 2017, 02:19:13 AM
Reply #1

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
Re: Wasn't able to flush it
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 02:19:13 AM »
When coming back to the ramp my starter gave out and now just replaced the starter on my 1998 evenrude 90 hp spl on same year model 175. First time not able to flush. It was a month or more since I finally replaced the starter and now ready to go. This motor is 19 years old with my guess less than 300 hours on it. Should I do anything like put in a 10%vinegar  wash or salt away?  Also, this old girl only hits 5k rpm on the tach loaded for fishing with my Dad and I. Also, before the starter went out with a finger check for temp readings one side of the powerhead was a bit warmer than the otherside. My thermostat's have never been changed but it looks like I'll have to pull the Power head to put a socket on those most likely bolts. To change the stats will I most likely have to pull the power head? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you keep up on the maintenance and preventative care, such as regularly fresh water flushing.  Since you do regularly flush, going without flushing once is not going to cause corrosion.  But of course if it makes you feel better than flushing with Salt X or likewise product surely wouldn't do any harm.

Re: 5k rpms
Couldn't begin to troubleshoot without knowing what your engines max rpm range is at WOT.

Re: Powerhead Temp
Both banks will not read the same temp.  One will be higher/lower than the other while still remaining within normal operating temp

Re: Stats
I'm not familiar with Evinrude engines, but I recon changing the stats is as simple as opening the stat housing.  If your engine is a V4 then you've got 2 stat housings, probably located at the top of each bank.  The bolts securing the housing will only loosen the housing, not the head cover.
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

October 05, 2017, 10:20:36 AM
Reply #2

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Re: Wasn't able to flush it
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 10:20:36 AM »
For future reference your motor should have the ability to connect a hose directly to the motor and back flush it without running it.  You usually just unscrew the "nut" that holds in the "pisser" Then thread the end of your garden hose right in.  Then just run the hose to flush the motor.  You don't have to run the motor but you can if you like.  I usually flush my motors this way when I come home at night and don't want to piss off the neighbors by running the motor.

flushing the motor with a strong vinegar solution can't hurt.  Some guys buy a mixer attachment for the hose at Ace hardware that is used for fertilizers with good results.

Regular flushing with vinegar or salt away type products help prevent salt build up over just plain water.

Need to know your max WOT RPMS with a light load.  Also keep in mind most Tachs are not very accurate.  I don't know the recommended WOT rpms are for your model motor. 

Throw in a set of spark plugs.  Be sure to use the Champion plugs that OMC recommends most likely it is a QL78YC (double check though)  They are cheap at $3-$4 each.  Don't let the parts guy talk you into NGKs.  These motors run best on the specified plugs.

I'd pull the T-stats and have a look at them.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal