Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Switch Panel Mysteries  (Read 603 times)

September 27, 2017, 08:46:08 PM
Read 603 times

MV2

• Information Offline
Switch Panel Mysteries
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
Greetings all:

New 5 months owner of a great 275, had her out over 15 times so far, so am having a great season.  I have a few electronic questions that I can't seem to figure out.  I have a water wash down pump that seemed to work at the Sea Test, but now I cannot get to work. I have three panels in the boat:
1) Helm Switches with what I think are push button Breakers, at least they look like that on the back side of the panel.

2) At the Battery Box with what I think are push button Breakers.  I'm not familiar with these.

3) Cockpit Panel with Shore Power and Generator switches, and DC Switches.

Question 1: Are the black button above and below the switches push button breakers?
Question 2: Are the red buttons also push button breakers?  I am not familiar with them
Question 3: Do I have to be in the water to have the washdown pump work?  I see that there is a through hull labeled Live well/Washdown, so I assume it is the intake for both.  I have a 40 gallon fresh water Tank and Shower/Water Heater, but I don't think that's connected to the Washdown Hose. As I said, it worked before at the Sea Test, but the Captain did the sequence, not me. 
Question 4: Also the Fishbox Pump does not seem to be working anymore, although I heard that pump also working at Sea Trial.  This is why I think it may be a breaker issue, or a switch sequence issue. Any suggestions? 

I am about to continuity test the switches and wiring, but want to ask if any one can see where I am going wrong here. Thanks for any suggestions.
MV2

September 27, 2017, 11:46:57 PM
Reply #1

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Re: Switch Panel Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:46:57 PM »
Yes those are push to reset circuit breakers under the black bubble boot covers.

Yes the red "buttons" are push to reset circuit breakers. They are the bilge pump float switch constant power feeds, constant  stereo memory feed, switched (by the battery switch) house and helm power panels main breakers.

Yes washdown/livewell has to be in the water to pump water. Not sure if your model has a diverter Y-valve to select if the water goes to the livewell or wash down. The raw water pump has a strainer that could be clogged or the seacock valve is closed. You should hear the pump run though. (It has a pressure switch so if the system is pressurized the pump won't run until the water can flow)

The freshwater system is seperate from the raw water system. The water heater is 120V AC powered (shore powe unless you hAve a generator). Again the pump won't run until you open a faucet.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

September 28, 2017, 10:57:44 AM
Reply #2

MV2

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:57:44 AM »
Thanks Wingtime, not so mysterious now. 

The live well pump works fine, that's why I am curious about why the wash down did not.  We did not move a "Y" valve when it did work, and the one I see labeled is the intake stopcock. I will test in the water then and see how it goes.  Really appreciate your comments!
MV2

September 28, 2017, 11:31:44 AM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »
The Y-valve (if equipped) is separate from the seacock (inlet) valve and it selects if the raw water goe to the livewell or the washdown hose fitting.  I am not sure if the 275 has this or if it have separate pumps for the wash down and livewell.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

October 12, 2017, 06:54:10 PM
Reply #4

MV2

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:54:10 PM »
Thank you all who replied.  The wash down pump did work when in the water.  Not much pressure, but will check out pump and hoses for corrosion.

Still did not get the Fish Box pump working, came back with all my bloody ice water! I will have to trace the switch and wires back to the pump, and look at that.

I also still cannot find a "Y" hose valve for the head pump out, although I hear the macerator pump come on, so I guess I will have to do a manual pump out till I can find that issue.

Lots of pumps!  I am new to this boat and still figuring it out.  It all seemed to work on the Sea Trial, but it's a boat, so I guess that's what happens.
MV2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal