You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Throwing in the towel on a rebuild?  (Read 439 times)

July 19, 2019, 12:32:40 PM
Read 439 times

Onebadlarry

• Information Offline
Throwing in the towel on a rebuild?
« on: July 19, 2019, 12:32:40 PM »
Have any of you guys thrown in the towel in a rebuild due to other obligations taking precedence? My amazing obligation is family. Expecting our second in November. My hull hasn’t seen my attention in about a year due to raising our first.

I know for sure my hull won’t see me for at least another year. Do I part ways or keep her in the backyard under the car port for two or so years?

It’s a big dilemma as she is my first boat, but the boss says we are a one boat household and I miss being on the water, fishing with the guys.

Just looking for some input and advice.

July 19, 2019, 04:02:08 PM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Throwing in the towel on a rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 04:02:08 PM »
There is no question that a rebuild is a huge commitment, and there are much cheaper ways to get on the water.  I’ve only seen a few rebuild threads where the builder actually posts that they’re quitting or selling, but there are many build threads that just trail off long before finished.

Only you can speak to your exact situation.  Only you can balance the time and money that you have in your rebuild against the money and time commitment moving forward, plus your life circumstances.

If you sell the rebuild, you’ll never get what it’s worth in your money and time.  On the other hand you keep the wife happy, and you can hopefully get something seaworthy that can get you out on the water.

July 19, 2019, 05:20:22 PM
Reply #2

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 05:20:22 PM »
I agree that it's a tough one - I was away on business a lot and it took me over 5 years to get it very close to being done and then I bought an RV and my focus shifted. As hot as it is now, my motivation to add the last few items is waning.
I need to re-do my bilge hatch design - it doesn't seal like I thought it would.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

July 20, 2019, 10:11:32 PM
Reply #3

Onebadlarry

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas. I wish this was an easy one to figure out, but it’s not... at all haha. I’m in no rush which is a plus.  Time will tell and the boss may just have the final say regardless haha.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal