Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: New to me 1999 Osprey 175  (Read 2508 times)

September 08, 2019, 09:25:46 PM
Read 2508 times

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
New to me 1999 Osprey 175
« on: September 08, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »
Next Saturday I will pick up a 1999 Osprey 175, not perfect, but clean for the age. Original Johnson 90 motor and for the age, the motor IMO was very clean. Compression tested the cylinders and the top left cylinder measured 80psi and the other 3 cylinders measured 89psi. Motor started right up and sounded great, impeller appeared to push water through the motor (will post a video of the motor running). Rather talking about the positives, I wanted to touch base on items that either weren't working. The motor temp and the Trim gage don't work. The light in the live well and courtesy deck light didn't work. One side of the boat has scratches from the first owner pulling lobster traps, really can only tell if up close. There are several small dings, perhaps that is normal. The backplate for the switch panel has several cracks, perhaps a replacement can be purchased. The cable assembly for the motor is larger than the grommet, not sure if that is an issue. Anyway, perhaps some photos will tell a better story.
1999 Osprey 175

September 08, 2019, 09:29:39 PM
Reply #1

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
Re: New to me 1999 Osprey 175
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
Some more photos
1999 Osprey 175

September 08, 2019, 09:31:45 PM
Reply #2

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 09:31:45 PM »
And...

1999 Osprey 175

September 08, 2019, 11:44:10 PM
Reply #3

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 11:44:10 PM »
Not sure why, but one of the owners had cutout more area for the motor controls. Assuming this can be patched up?

https://youtu.be/LxvVin_PeVo
1999 Osprey 175

September 09, 2019, 09:49:38 PM
Reply #4

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
Should I be concerned, is the clean look hiding the bad?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 09:49:38 PM »
Picking up the 1999 ASO 175 this Saturday, which is my first boat. After reading through a ton of posts on this website and going back through the photos/video I took of the boat, I have the following questions/concerns.

- The boat has the stock Johnson 90 2 stroke and I have read others compression testing the cylinders with readings of 130psi. When I tested each cylinder, I got 3 cylinders measuring 89psi and one with 80psi. Does that seem low for a reading?
- The 2 rear compartments under the removal trays show signs of cracking/chipping and slimy coating. The attached photo with the orange toolbox, you can see exposed plywood or fiberglass. Perhaps this is normal, should I be concerned?
- The trim and engine water temperature gauges don't work, I could prob do without the trim gauge, however it would be nice to have a working engine water temperature gauge. If anyone could point me in the right direction to help get these replaced, I would greatly appreciate it.
- It appears that someone enlarged the main wire harness hole to feed a new cable assembly. How would I go to patch up the hole?
- Does anyone sell OEM parts? I have searched on ebay and other websites, however not having much luck.
- The starboard side has some scratches on the outside and dings inside the boat from the original owner launching lobster traps. Should this be a concern or is it just normal wear and tear?
- The plate for the switches is cracked at just about every screw location, does anyone have a link for a new plate? Do you need to create a gasket for the back of the plate?

Thank you in advance, your feedback is greatly appreciated! For the price, this is still the cleanest boat I have seen on CL since early July.

1999 Osprey 175

September 10, 2019, 07:37:42 AM
Reply #5

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Should I be concerned, is the clean look hiding the bad?
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 07:37:42 AM »
Picking up the 1999 ASO 175 this Saturday, which is my first boat. After reading through a ton of posts on this website and going back through the photos/video I took of the boat, I have the following questions/concerns.

- The boat has the stock Johnson 90 2 stroke and I have read others compression testing the cylinders with readings of 130psi. When I tested each cylinder, I got 3 cylinders measuring 89psi and one with 80psi. Does that seem low for a reading?

Procedure for your test?

The 2 rear compartments under the removal trays show signs of cracking/chipping and slimy coating. The attached photo with the orange toolbox, you can see exposed plywood or fiberglass. Perhaps this is normal, should I be concerned?

Age (20 years). A good cleaning will get the scum out. You may have some rotten wood filler that you can eventually replace but that stuff in your photo is not structural.

The trim and engine water temperature gauges don't work, I could prob do without the trim gauge, however it would be nice to have a working engine water temperature gauge. If anyone could point me in the right direction to help get these replaced, I would greatly appreciate it.

The trim gauge may just need the mechanical sender freed up. It should be located under the motor.
https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/53642.cfm?mdl=BQKLBM  Part# 69

The temp gauge sender may be bad. https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/53639.cfm?mdl=BQKLBM Part # 15
But check that the wire from the sender to the gauge itself is not corroded along with the gauge connections first. An ohm meter is your friend.

It appears that someone enlarged the main wire harness hole to feed a new cable assembly. How would I go to patch up the hole?

You might re-glass the hole or just add a "plate" to cover the enlargement. In either case you will need to remove the grommet and slide it up the wiring/control harness to allow some working room. Obviously, removal of the harness would be the way to patch but that seems like a fair amount of work for a cosmetic fix.

Does anyone sell OEM parts? I have searched on ebay and other websites, however not having much luck.

Not really. Aftermarket for most things and fabrication for the rest,

The starboard side has some scratches on the outside and dings inside the boat from the original owner launching lobster traps. Should this be a concern or is it just normal wear and tear?

Cosmetic only. You may find a replacement decal here: http://themarineconnection.com/index.html
but you would be best served searching eBay or having a vinyl shop  make a new one. Several online shops carry that decal.

The plate for the switches is cracked at just about every screw location, does anyone have a link for a new plate? Do you need to create a gasket for the back of the plate?

Standard with every one I've seen. Again, you may find that plate here: http://themarineconnection.com/index.html
but more than likely, you will need to fab a new plate if you desire.

Good luck and post up your progress after you get the boat.

]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 10, 2019, 09:51:29 AM
Reply #6

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:51:29 AM »
Thanks Capt. Bob!

Something that I just noticed, the gas vent appears to be missing a cap? Is that correct?

1999 Osprey 175

September 16, 2019, 09:13:55 PM
Reply #7

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 09:13:55 PM »
This past Sunday I was able to get out off the coast of Kittery Maine. It was a beautiful day out, little choppy, but she did awesome and my 12 year old son had a blast.

Couple of items I have to address, none are show stoppers.

- The lanyard would not stay attached, plastic key opening was cracked. Already ordered a new one.
- 3 screws used to fasten the windshield are loose and started backing themselves out.
- While standing driving, my hip kept hitting the switch and cutting out the motor. At first I thought something happened to the motor and I was going to require a tow.
- Need to order trailer tube guides, keep the boat aligned when loading on the trailer.
1999 Osprey 175

September 16, 2019, 10:01:27 PM
Reply #8

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 10:01:27 PM »
The trim and engine water temperature gauges don't work, I could prob do without the trim gauge, however it would be nice to have a working engine water temperature gauge. If anyone could point me in the right direction to help get these replaced, I would greatly appreciate it.

The trim gauge may just need the mechanical sender freed up. It should be located under the motor.
https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/53642.cfm?mdl=BQKLBM  Part# 69

The temp gauge sender may be bad. https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/53639.cfm?mdl=BQKLBM Part # 15
But check that the wire from the sender to the gauge itself is not corroded along with the gauge connections first. An ohm meter is your friend.

It appears that someone enlarged the main wire harness hole to feed a new cable assembly. How would I go to patch up the hole?

Does it make sense that the water temperature gauge has a hose connected to it?

Also, I have searched and searched, but cannot locate the gauges. Can someone please post a link to both gauges so I can order replacements?

Thanks!

1999 Osprey 175

September 17, 2019, 10:02:55 PM
Reply #9

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 10:02:55 PM »
Why would someone do this? One of the previous owners swapped the swim platform so the could mount a kicker motor mount.

Question... I would like to remove the kicker motor plate. how should I plug the holes?

1999 Osprey 175

September 18, 2019, 07:15:12 AM
Reply #10

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 07:15:12 AM »
Does it make sense that the water temperature gauge has a hose connected to it?

Are you sure you have a water temp gauge? Could it be a water pressure gauge?

I can't quite make out the gauges in the original pic you posted. Could you post another of the gauges straight on?

Also, I have searched and searched, but cannot locate the gauges. Can someone please post a link to both gauges so I can order replacements?

Post that pic first before you spend any money on gauges.
Also, you can fill the hole(s) in your transom with thickened epoxy which is a mixture of resin and cabosil but.....Marine Tex will work, is easier to get (think ACE or West Marine) and pretty foolproof in mixing. For your purpose, that's what I would suggest.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/automotive-rv-and-marine/marine/boat-repair/88568?x429=true&msclkid=90bf68562ae019bf30d535d43fd752d0&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20Catch%20All&utm_term=4581664954601321&utm_content=Catch%20All&gclid=CNi9z8ai2uQCFdNJgQod9Y4PmA&gclsrc=ds

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 18, 2019, 07:43:53 AM
Reply #11

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 07:43:53 AM »
Thanks Capt. Bob!

Something that I just noticed, the gas vent appears to be missing a cap? Is that correct?

I looks ok. Need to rotate it slightly so rain water doesn't run straight in.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 18, 2019, 09:58:43 AM
Reply #12

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »
First, thank you Capt. Bob!

Here is a better photo of the 2 gauges. I believe it is a water pressure gauge, the previous owner stated it was a temperature gauge  :shrug:.

Photo of the backside of the trim gauge.

Photo of the backside of the water pressure gauge.

I believe the P/N for the trim gauge might be 58431P
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=754318

Found 2 different water pressure gauges 0-30psi and 0-40psi.
https://www.marinepartssource.com/water-pressure-gauge-61238p?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Zm2nsPa5AIVvRitBh2uzw3MEAQYAiABEgLUhPD_BwE
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C311%7C2349076%7C2349094&id=1363099

1999 Osprey 175

September 18, 2019, 01:31:25 PM
Reply #13

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 01:31:25 PM »
OK, now we're gettin' somewhere. :mrgreen:

It is indeed a water pressure gauge. Won't win any "best of show" but before you start spending your hard earned coin, let's see if you are getting water to the gauge itself. You'll need to remove the hose from the back. From the looks of things, that may require cutting it off. Once removed, you can put on the engine muffs and fire her up. You should see some flow through the hose. If you don't, you probably have a salt blockage or possible kink in the hose. It could also be cut farther back and pumping into the control/wiring chase and leaking back into the bilge. Lastly, you may have a tired water pump. Still, check the line first. If however you do see flow, then I'd recommend you retire that gauge and get a new one.

Now as for the trim gauge, first clean all those terminal connections and re-connect. Next, tilt the motor all the way up and look for the trim/tilt switch. In the link I listed above concerning the switch I call out part #69. On second look, you need to be searching for the arm of the switch which appears to be #70 in the exploded view. This arm's movement is through a coiled spring and they are notorious for sticking. It usually resides on the tilt tube (IIRC) and on the port side. Once you find it, make sure the arm rotates freely. If it's stuck, don't force it but rather use a shot or two of say WD 40 on the arm/spring assembly and slowly rock it free. If you get to that point, turn on the ignition (no need to start) to send current to the gauge and check your trim/tilt range as indicated on the gauge. I have a feeling that gauge is still functional.

Let us know what you find.
Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 20, 2019, 04:03:11 PM
Reply #14

TopherMichael

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 04:03:11 PM »
The trim switch was stuck. Without taking the switch apart, I was able to activate the gauge. But that was short lived as now the trim gauge reads that is up, no matter the position of the motor. I did remove the switch, however, it appears to be a sealed switch.

So looked like I will need that switch.

Haven’t touched the water pressure gauge, think I am just going to order the kit.

1999 Osprey 175

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal