Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Remove forward catch well and casting platform ?  (Read 407 times)

May 28, 2019, 04:19:56 PM
Read 407 times

bigfluffydog

• Information Offline
Remove forward catch well and casting platform ?
« on: May 28, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »
Can I remove the forward catch well, hatches and structure ? There's a thwart (canoe term) that goes from port to starboard. I'm a bit reluctant to cut that out. I'd like to install a seat at the bow and could use the additional floor space.

May 28, 2019, 04:57:46 PM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Remove forward catch well and casting platform ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 04:57:46 PM »
What model?  Pictures of your front casting deck would help us help you. 

The short answer is just about anything can be done.  The limitations are time, money, and your ability to re-engineer the mods you want to make.

May 29, 2019, 04:23:30 PM
Reply #2

bigfluffydog

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 04:23:30 PM »
sorry, should have included a photo and other info.

1972 19'6

May 29, 2019, 07:10:45 PM
Reply #3

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 07:10:45 PM »
If I understand your goals, removing some of the casting platform to convert to split bench seating with a walk up the center to the bow, it sounds doable.  You should be able to remove the hatch and cut away the center of the casting platform.  You’ll need to create a floor between the stringers forward.  Then you can use glass panels or glass covered foam or honeycomb.  Tab in the new pieces and glass.  I assume, you’ll wa t to add hatches to access storage under the benches.  These could be anything from ready made after market hatches or custom that you build yourself.

If your deck transom and stringers are in good shape, it’s a moderately difficult job.  Keep in mind that this is coming from someone with megalomaniacal rebuild tendencies.  But it is definitely doable.

Oh, it’s not a thwart on a powerboat, but I believe you’re referring to the bulkhead at the aft end of the casting deck.  Adding the section of deck across the stringers will more than compensate for cutting the bulkhead.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal