Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Converting a sailboat trailer to fit a 215???  (Read 446 times)

March 09, 2018, 01:49:50 PM
Read 446 times

Redeyety

• Information Offline
Converting a sailboat trailer to fit a 215???
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »
Hello! So I found a '93 215 Explorer WA that is in excellent condition. I think the price is reasonable for the boat with a decent trailer. I was told there was a trailer included that would need some mods. Well, the mods turn out to be converting a sailboat trailer to fit this 3500 poundish 215 WA. I am not at all concerned about if the trailer can handle the weight. But I am concerned about how high the boat will have to be set so the hull doesn't touch the fenders. So my question is, how do you determine how high the boat can sit before you have back the front tires of the tow vehicle in the water to load/unload? And, is there a way to determine if the boat is too wide for the trailer? I dont want to be top heavy and be at risk of it rolling while on a curve while towing.

I dont have any pics of the trailer, but it looks like the fenders are, at least, more narrow than what a typical 8.5' beam would sit on.

March 09, 2018, 05:26:27 PM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Converting a sailboat trailer to fit a 215???
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 05:26:27 PM »
There are so many variables in your question.  For me the most important question is, will my boat be adequately supported?  Bad things happen to boats on ill fitting trailers.   Ideally bunks will be located near the outer edge of the stringers and extend too, or just a bit past the transom.  it should do this while maintaining correct tongue weight for your vehicle.

As for the height, lower is better as long as you have ground clearance.  The launch question depends on where you launch.  In Florida, we tend to have shallow pitch ramps that favor low bunk trailers.  A trailer shop in your area may be able to recommend a height for your trailer.

Height also affects windage and wind resistance.  Again, lower is better.

If I loved the boat, the trailer wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.  I would probably try to replace the trailer with something more optimal as soon as I could.  Some trailer shops offer used trailers and accept trades.  Might be worth consideration.

March 09, 2018, 05:51:36 PM
Reply #2

Redeyety

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »
mshugg, thanks for your input. I hadn't considered windage, so yeah, that's a good point. And all of the ramps Ive seen, like Lashley in Punta Gorda, they seem quite shallow.

I know that I can get a worthy trailer for around a grand give or take some change. Maybe once the results are clear of the mods, if I'm not satisfied, I can try to wheel and deal a bit with his asking price.

Tomorrow I will see what he and I come up with. The seller and I will be completing this project together. So I will take pics of the finished product and post them. Ive done quite a bit of research on if anyone has done this and couldn't find squat. So maybe my experience with this could help someone else.

March 09, 2018, 07:19:56 PM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 07:19:56 PM »
I agree, the lower the better.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal