You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Aquasport CCP Series - boats and owners at Classic Aquasport  (Read 48860 times)

December 14, 2008, 02:38:28 PM
Read 48860 times

Hardwater

• Information Offline
Aquasport CCP Series - boats and owners at Classic Aquasport
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:38:28 PM »
As contributions to this thread continue, a 'Contents' summary is being added with the intention of improving usefulness as a reference source for those with an interest in the Aquasport CCP series.   Thanks to everyone who has contributed photos and information.

A Member Name search or review of a Member Gallery will often provide many additional photos of a specific hull or projects that are in progress or have been completed.

Contents:
Note:  Year and model in bold indicates photo and (# of photos) followed by Member Name.

Page 1.
1.  Intro.
2.  1986 222 (2), Hardwater.
3.  1980 22-2 (3), GoneFission.  Many custom upgrades.  (Many add'l photos on other threads.)
4.  1989 250 (2), DOCREED.  Full transom & transom bracket, twin 150HP Mercs, T-top.
5.  1979 200 (3), allen456.
6.  1984 222 (1), Capt. Bob.  Full transom & bracket.
7.  1981 200 (4), jdupree.  T-top, Tahitian Tan.
8.  1978 200 (10), kaptainkoz.  Custom mahogany upgrades, SS light tower.
9.  CCP list update.
10.  1982 246 (4), kamakaze.  T-top, starboard replacing teak.
11.  1985 200 (1), Wayne'sWorld.

Page 2.
1.  1978 200, bdstr.
2.  1979 200, weakfish.
3.  CCP list update.
4.  Hull Identification Number (HIN) information.

Page 3.
1.  1980 22-2 console (1), GoneFission.  Information on console change between the 1980 and 1981 model years.  Information on model designation change from 22-2CCP (up to 1980) to 222CCP (1981 and later).
2.  Discussion of teak finish options and starboard (6).

Page 4.
1.  1985 222, smitty 1.
2.  1988 222 (5), damnitbadger.  Full transom and bracket.
3.  1979 222, zerorulz.
4.  CCP list update.
5.  1979 22-2 (4), Ideal.
6.  1985 250, hooked up. (Note: photos in Member Gallery.)

Page 5.
1.  Additional discussion of teak finishing and Starboard replacement.  1989 250 console (1), DOCREED.
2.  1987 250 (5), JoseGaspar.  T-top, deep blue hull.
3.  1988 222, 222 ccp dgraf.
4.  1989 222, SULLY_0063.

Page 6.
1.  1978 22-2 ( 8 ), John Jones.
2.  1983 246, Native Son.  (Note:  link to photos at photobucket.)
3.  CCP list update.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is intended to be a 'information project' of sorts based on comment made by RickK on another thread regarding limited/low production numbers for the Aquasport CCP models.  Aquasport had a long history (unfortunately ended by Genmar) of producing a number of notable models and desirable hulls from the 1960s through the end of production in 2005.  The Center Console Professional - or CCP - line seems to fall in both those groups.  While there are a number of CCP owners here that come to mind right away, an index would be interesting (maybe useful) and incoming members are encouraged to add to the list.

In responding, add information on year, model/length, Hull ID number, power and any other related or historical information specific to your boat or the model line in general.  Try to list your model as it was designated by Aquasport (i.e. 22-2 CCP, 200 CCP, 222 CCP, 250 CCP, etc.) since there were changes in factory designations over the years.   Hull IDs will give some idea of the earliest models as well as those toward the end of production. 

If possible, post photos to show the model - as well as photos of modifications.  Please try to keep the thread on track.

To start, mine is as follows:

Year:  1986.
Model:  222 CCP.
Hull ID #:  ASPA05951586.
Power:  1988 200hp Mercury Black Max - carbed.
Other info:  Built at the Hialeah, Florida plant.  Originally rigged and sold in 1988 at Yacht Works, Inc. in Sister Bay, Wisconsin on Lake Michigan.  This boat came with the coffin box, bimini and forward shelter/bow dodger.  It was rigged with hydraulic steering and Bennett trim tabs.

Modifications:  The original owner lowered the height of the splashwell wall and had a teak platform seat installed.  It's not be best photo to show it, but the seat can be seen in the one below:

Did Aquasport ever list the production numbers of the CCPs - either in total or for the individual hull lengths?  What were the actual years of production (mid-to-late 1970s to late-1980s-early-1990s?)?  Is it correct that when Aquasport eliminated the CCP designation, the same (or similar) hull was re-badged as the Osprey?

(Edited to reflect Genmar's role in terminating the Aquasport line - not Brunswick.)
\'86 222 CCP
\'88 Mercury 200hp Black Max

December 14, 2008, 08:07:42 PM
Reply #1

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: CCP - boats and owners at Classic Aquasport
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:07:42 PM »
1980 22-2 CCP
1987 200 Mercury Black Max Carb Model
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
Originally purchased in New Jersey
Not in great shape when I got it, but looking pretty good now...

Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

December 15, 2008, 11:29:20 AM
Reply #2

DOCREED

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:29:20 AM »
1989 250 CCP
Full transom
Twin 150 Merc's

Previous owner was from Lake O area.
worn with ratty canvas when I got it.

slowly coming back to its former glory.

89 250 CCP
full transom
Twin Merc 150\'s......thirsty?  YES they are.

December 15, 2008, 04:53:21 PM
Reply #3

allen456

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:53:21 PM »
Year: 1979
Model: 200 CCP
Hull ID# ASPP0226M79A
Power: 1981 Johnson 175
Built in Hialeah, Fl and was originally sold from a dealer on the Ga coast. I am the third owner and the boat was gifted to me in October.  Slowly bringing her back to life and deciding how original I want to keep her.  Still looking for a name ( never has been truly named).  The boat was moored in a covered dock for the past 12-15 years.

1979 Aquasport 200 CCP--1981 Johnson 175

December 15, 2008, 09:50:12 PM
Reply #4

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:50:12 PM »
1984 222CCP.
Hialeah hull # ASPA0492M84E

Third owner (?)
1. Was in Naples.
2. Moved to Homestead after Andrew.
3. Purchased in 10 October 1995.
Re-powered with 96 "Rude 200 Ocean Pro
B-Bracket full transom bracket. Hydraulic steering
Completely re-wired (except the two running to front nav lights).
Trim tabs, Stock Bimini top (new cloth of course), coffin, teak.
Batteries re-located under console. Replaced tank in 1998+/-  

]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

December 16, 2008, 10:01:11 AM
Reply #5

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »
Year: 1981
Model: 200 CCP
Hull ID: ASPP0590M81D (Hialeah, FL.)
Power: 1992 200 HP Mercury Offshore
Other info: Drove up to Deleware to purchase this boat.  Not sure how many previous owners.  Boat needed much cosmetic work which I have done other than bottom paint.  Improvements include: New gas tank, custom cushions for coffin box, t-top, teak re-finished, washdown system with portable 30gal livewell.  I have tried to keep her as original as possible.

The 200 CCP is rare, but the color of mine makes it even more rare.  Aquasport called it Tahitian Tan.  Did not care for it at first, but it has grown on me.  Here is the brochure for my model on the right, followed by my pictures.

John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

December 22, 2008, 01:35:52 AM
Reply #6

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 01:35:52 AM »
Year: 1978
Model: 200 CCP.
Hull ID #: ASPP0160M78F
Power: 1986 Evinrude 225 for now, 1988 Evinrude 175 once 225 is sold
Other info: Built at the Hialeah, Florida plant.  Trim tabs.This boat came with the coffin box. She was purchased in august of 2008 on Long Island NY in dismal shape. I have no idea of her history. She is a work in progress and I love every minute of it! Thats me in the Fore, Pops is in the aft. not pictured here, but the boat is named "Captain Koz" which you cant miss being I put the name on both sides.... 9 inches by five feet!

I will have better pics in the spring. Its hard to photo a boat when your always IN it!
Here are some mods:
I added seats to the stern area. They are removable which leaves the backrests as awesome thigh pads for hardcore striper fishing. I handmade the bench out of mahogany and coated it with Sikken cetol. GREAT STUFF!. It is hinged on the starbord side and flips out of the way (you can see it up in the pic above) to access the motor or the baitwell... or "catch box" as I call it being is sucks for bait buts its great to keep the catch. (NOTE: I did not eliminate that door flap that goes under my bench, I bought the boat without it) I relocated the batteries to the center console, so a winter project is to fiberglass a drop in bin for the port battery box for bait so to have no buckets on the deck at all. The starbord battery compartment is usedfor accessory storage and for wiring. Some of the Gel coat needs attention i know... but alot of what you may see was just rough coats of the stuff to close up the holes. This boat needed ALOTTTTTTT of Gel Coat work and my hands still hurt from sanding. I will make all my gel coat repairs invisible by the spring. Those rodholders are in a great location! Out of the way and very useful.

I handmade a Mahogany Dash Topper to the center console. I wanted to add some more class as well as function. I didnt want stuff bouncing all over the place. I also added an off the shelf organizer by screwing it to the original useless cup holders. These are great for holding my cell and a few weights, also the rim is perforated to hold fishing hooks. Its a great unit. I think it by Seachoice? You can also see a little silver bump on the underside of the rail about dead center near the top of the windshield... this is a 4 bulb LED unit used as dash board "Map Light". Also when you hit that  switch, compartment lights go on in the 2 levels of the center console storage, and soon to be added, a light in the anchor compartment and the transom battery boxes
This winter I am going to be redoing the instrument panel with STARBOARD. I will keep the old one safe (and maybe for sale for the die hard restorers). I only want a fuel, amp, volt and temp guage, then I want to add a 6 or 8 switch breaker panel, then whatever room is left on the starbord side I want to add a cubby or a glove box. Simple, clean with more storage.
And yes... Santa is going to replace that crappy so called fishfinder with a Lowrance LMS 522!

The transom was cracked but the wood was not terrible, so I removed the cap, dried out the wood for a week with a heater and gallons of acetone, then did the GITROT regimine, glassed and Gelcoated it all over, and added a custom cut and welded diamond plate support. Yes i read the posts... after my project. I know most are not fans of GITROT or of transom brackets, but so far so good. If it fails or starts to crack again then I will tear the whole ass off and Coosa it. I just wanted to get in the water. I got the boat in late august and spent 6 weeks before she saw the water. I had to work fast... the stripers were coming! This winter I plan on anodizing the plate a medium blue and finishing up the astetics of the Gel coat (a few more layers to smooth it out). THe last photos shows the repainted motor... as mentioned a work in progress. By the way.. that motor is for sale, all new parts for $1600 on craigslist. Email me for more info if interested. It is mint but wayyyy too big and heavyfor my 200CCP.

I added hatches to the gunnels for some more storage. They are perfect for bumpers being I usually tie the bumpers right there to the rail. I also had cushions made for the coffin. I have the in floor hatch just in front of the coffin (life jacket storage). It was cracked. So when I bought it to replace it (Bomar hatch) I held it against the gunnel and decided to go with 2 more. It worked out great. That little loop of rope you see hanging in the storage comparment was inspired from my cousins sailboat. At the top of that loop is a hook. You take the coiled dock rope and fold the loop over it and set the loop in the hook to hold the rope. I have one on the other side and near both of the rear cleats. Keep the ropes handy and neat and they release really easy. I would not put those rodholders there. They seem to always catch the side of my knee. I would drill in drop in rodholders on the horizontal of the cap in the area near the grab rail. I may do so and eliminate those rodholder... I hate Gelcoat work just to patch holes!

Now my Piece de resistance... my custom lightbar. Keep in mind this is my very first boat. So with my primary focus for this boat being night Stripped Bass trips, I needed light to find my way. I didnt want to have to hold a spot light to find the buoys. So I had some stainless rails off of a junked boat and got to bending. (sorry about the power lines in the pic!) There are 3 sets of lights... 2-100 watt floods which shine straight out and 2-55watt deck lights, fore and aft, and the perko anchor light. I had a particular problem with the floods in that they also lit up the deck thus killing my night vision. If you look closely you can see custom hammered "eyelids" that I made to keep the light off of the deck. I also added the anchor light to the top and taped the hell out of it for the same reason of dimminishing on deck reflection. All lights are on seperate switches on the dash. I used bimini hardware to make the unit fold down. You pull the pins on the bottom of the legs closest to the helm and the whole assembly folds down aft for easy transport and storage. On the starbord side you will see some wires hanging out. This is on purpose... if I ever feel the need to remove the light bar I will cut the wires and install plug ends.You can also see a bit more of the assembly on the pics above of the dash. Where to put the net became an issue. As you can see on the whole boat pic at the beggining of this post, i used to keep the net in a bow rodholder...which always seemed to be in the way. So, I added the starbord side rail mounted rod holder for the net. Works out perfectly. You dont even know the net is there. Then, some of you may be saying "what the hell is with that port side rod holder?"... true, very true. That is what I call the "captains rodholder". the area where I night fish for stripers requires us to drift through a bridge under current and sometimes wind influence... so I have to approach the opening (about 25ft wide) under idle and correct as needed... all while having a rod in my hands trying to catch one. Sometimes it doesnt work out so well and I have to dart over and try to brace an impact (so far so good).. That rodholder is my quick holster which will allow me to keep my eel in the water while attending to whatever is needed. It is out just far enough so the tip is over the rubrail (dont want it out too far as to catch a bridge support). Most would say "why bother" but i estimate about 90% of the bites happen just as the boat comes even with the first bridge support... crafty little buggers they are.

So thats it for now. The weather here in Long Island NY is downright nasty... snow ice cold... really dismal. I will post pics of the above mentioned projects as they happen... but the wether has to cooperate. Merry Christmas, Happy Chanuukah and a happy new year to all!

August 2009 update: To see the finished project, go to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3858
1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

January 17, 2009, 05:38:48 PM
Reply #7

allen456

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 05:38:48 PM »
Where are the rest of the CCP'S ????????????

1979 Aquasport 200 CCP--1981 Johnson 175

January 18, 2009, 11:29:16 AM
Reply #8

Hardwater

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 11:29:16 AM »
Been wondering that, too - there's definitely more than 7 out there!

The list so far (w/info provided) covers 3 models from 1978-1989:

kaptainkoz              1978      200 CCP   ASPP0160M78F

allen456              1979      200 CCP   ASPP0226M79A

GoneFission      1980      22-2 CCP   ASPA0345M80I

jdupree         1981      200 CCP   ASPP0590M81D

Capt. Bob              1984      222 CCP   ASPA0492M84E

Hardwater              1986      222 CCP   ASPA05951586

DOCREED              1989      250 CCP   (none listed)

From the examples so far, the CCPs are wearing the years very well :D .  Four of the seven listed were built between 1978 and 1981 - hulls in use for 28-31 years (barely 'teenagers' compared to the earlier flats fishing hulls - but still good) :!: .

Those listed include 2 with transom brackets (DOCREED and Capt. Bob - one OEM and one aftermarket?) and 3 representing color gelcoat options (jdupree - Tahitian Tan; DOCREED and Capt. Bob - Pearl Grey) - none so far in the Nightwatch Blue.  Nightwatch Blue and Pearl Grey - along with Ivory Mist - were the color names in use by AS in the 1980 brochure.   I didn't find the Tahitian Tan referenced in the brochures on the site (doesn't mean it isn't, I just didn't find it) but I have seen it referenced on other posts here - and I can see why it's grown on you, j.  Not sure whether the Aquasport color names remained the same through the CCP production years.

Models to date are the 200, 22-2/222 and 250 - no 246 (or others?) yet.

Current locations generally reflect the company's primary areas of distribution at the time - from the Gulf Cost to the Northeast to the Great Lakes

One quirk in the Hull ID #s.   allen456's 1979 200 CCP and jdupree's 1981 200 CCP had Hull IDs that began with the manufacturer code of 'ASPP'.  GoneFission's 1980 22-2 CCP, built in the year between, shows a manufacturer code of 'ASPA'.

Alright, time for the rest of you CCP owners to step up :D - let's get this list goin'.  Year, actual model name, Hull ID #, a couple/few photos and any historical info on the CCPs in general or your specific hull.
\'86 222 CCP
\'88 Mercury 200hp Black Max

January 18, 2009, 02:09:21 PM
Reply #9

Kamikaze

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 02:09:21 PM »
Ask for a 246 CCP and you shall receive

1982 246 CCP.  Purchased third hand in Cape Canaveral FL.  Now located in Little Creek VA.  Was told by the second owner it was originally operated out of Miami, but I have no means to verify.  

Still has original transom, and deck.

I have since reworked just about everything else.  
- Replaced all teak with Starboard throughout
- New Gas tank in 06
- Added T Top in 07
- Added leaning post in 08
- New wiring throughout
- New deck drains / overboard discharges and lines in 07 (Major pain to do when already rigged)
- Reworked original console, added better access and repainted in 07
- Repainted fish box in 07
- Enclosed aft live well and added raw water wash down system
- Added rod holders

Next major projects in the works ...

Replace 250 V8 ( Primarily due to weight concerns, secondary due to fuel economy )
Add spray rails (looking at smart rail - Boat is too wet)
Add curtains too T Top to better support winter fishing.
Repaint hull (leaning towards sticking with the original color scheme it kinds of grows on you)  

Kamikaze

January 18, 2009, 05:06:05 PM
Reply #10

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 05:06:05 PM »
Momma,
That 246 is a wet dream :wink:
Excellent Aquaporn :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

January 19, 2009, 06:32:49 PM
Reply #11

Wayne'sWorld

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »
1985 200 CCP
ASPP 1116H485
200 Johnson OceanRunner

Here's an '85 to insert in your lineup, Hardwater.  I've owned this boat for about a year.  I've spent my free time with some minor repairs, gas tank being the biggest, and being on the water.  So much so that I've forgotten to take pictures of her!  The above photo is one I snapped the week I brought it home.  I am the second owner of the boat.  She has spent her life on the southern New Jersey coast; in the water all summer and not under shelter in the winter.  Not much to look at... gelcoat dull, scuffs, scrapes, scratches and in need of bottom paint.  Modifications include that anchor pulpit and relocation of the scuppers.  Everything else is stock, I think.  Would like to bring this back to shipshape like her sisters in this post, I just can't resist using my free time to be out on the water.  Know what I mean? 8)

January 19, 2009, 07:22:22 PM
Reply #12

bdtsr

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 07:22:22 PM »
Well I may as well jump in here too! Our's (my buddy Joe and I) needs LOTS of work. The tank is out, the transom is being repaired, the floor needs fixing and I have to decide which 225 to put on it (Yammy or Johnny). Good thing is the 225 Yammy I bought today came with a Hydraulic steering helm pump and cylinder (already had a cylinder though). Pics are posted in the rebuild thread.

1978 200 CCP, No power at the moment. Has been stripped of cleats, lights, coffin cooler, seats, hawse pipes and other things. Only info I have on the boat is it used to be registered in Mississippi and belonged to the International Sailing Association. Nothing beyond that.
1978 Aquasport 200 CCP 1990 225hp Yamaha
1990 Bayliner 2302 Trophy 2000 225hp Optimax
1999 Bayliner 1950 Capri Bowrider Merc 3.0 liter I/O
1986 Arrowglass CC w/1986 Evinrude 115hp
3 Kawasaki Tandem Sport Jet skis
1993 Seadoo XP
1988 Yamaha WR500

January 19, 2009, 10:40:05 PM
Reply #13

No Class

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:40:05 PM »
Best boat ever! I have a 1968 FB  22-2 & am looking for a 222 CCP to add to the fleet. Good luck!

January 21, 2009, 10:33:04 AM
Reply #14

DOCREED

• Information Offline
Re: Aquasport CCP Series - boats and owners at Classic Aquasport
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
I just can't resist using my free time to be out on the water. Know what I mean?

Thats what crappy days in the spring and fall are for....projects
89 250 CCP
full transom
Twin Merc 150\'s......thirsty?  YES they are.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal