You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: New Member- 1978 200 CCP  (Read 12178 times)

December 22, 2008, 02:29:46 AM
Read 12178 times

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
New Member- 1978 200 CCP
« on: December 22, 2008, 02:29:46 AM »
Hello,
I am "Kaptain Koz" aka Steven Kozlowski.
Year: 1978
Model: 220 CCP.
Hull ID #: ASPP0160M78F
Power: 1986 Evinrude 225 for now, 1988 Evinrude 175 once 225 is sold
Other info: Built at the Hialeah, Florida plant. Trim tabs.This boat came with the coffin box. She was purchased in august of 2008 on Long Island NY in dismal shape. I have no idea of her history. She is a work in progress and I love every minute of it! Thats me in the Fore, Pops is in the aft.

(yes, the words "Captain Koz" are digitally added, but that is about how the graphics look that are actually there now)

I will have better pics in the spring. Its hard to photo a boat when your always IN it!
Here are some mods:
I added seats to the stern area. They are removable which leaves the backrests as awesome thigh pads for hardcore striper fishing. I handmade the bench out of mahogany and coated it with Sikken cetol. GREAT STUFF!. It is hinged on the starbord side and flips out of the way (you can see it up in the pic above) to access the motor or the baitwell... or "catch box" as I call it being is sucks for bait buts its great to keep the catch. (NOTE: I did not eliminate that door flap that goes under my bench, I bought the boat without it) I relocated the batteries to the center console, so a winter project is to fiberglass a drop in bin for the port battery box for bait so to have no buckets on the deck at all. The starbord battery compartment is usedfor accessory storage and for wiring. Some of the Gel coat needs attention i know... but alot of what you may see was just rough coats of the stuff to close up the holes. This boat needed ALOTTTTTTT of Gel Coat work and my hands still hurt from sanding. I will make all my gel coat repairs invisible by the spring. Those rodholders are in a great location! Out of the way and very useful.

I handmade a Mahogany Dash Topper to the center console. I wanted to add some more class as well as function. I didnt want stuff bouncing all over the place. I also added an off the shelf organizer by screwing it to the original useless cup holders. These are great for holding my cell and a few weights, also the rim is perforated to hold fishing hooks. Its a great unit. I think it by Seachoice? You can also see a little silver bump on the underside of the rail about dead center near the top of the windshield... this is a 4 bulb LED unit used as dash board "Map Light". Also when you hit that switch, compartment lights go on in the 2 levels of the center console storage, and soon to be added, a light in the anchor compartment and the transom battery boxes
This winter I am going to be redoing the instrument panel with STARBOARD. I will keep the old one safe (and maybe for sale for the die hard restorers). I only want a fuel, amp, volt and temp guage, then I want to add a 6 or 8 switch breaker panel, then whatever room is left on the starbord side I want to add a cubby or a glove box. Simple, clean with more storage.
And yes... Santa  replaced that crappy so called fishfinder with a Lowrance LMS 522!

The transom was cracked but the wood was not terrible, so I removed the cap, dried out the wood for a week with a heater and gallons of acetone, then did the GITROT regimine, glassed and Gelcoated it all over, and added a custom cut and welded diamond plate support. Yes i read the posts... after my project. I know most are not fans of GITROT or of transom brackets, but so far so good. If it fails or starts to crack again then I will tear the whole ass off and Coosa it. I just wanted to get in the water. I got the boat in late august and spent 6 weeks before she saw the water. I had to work fast... the stripers were coming! This winter I plan on anodizing the plate a medium blue and finishing up the astetics of the Gel coat (a few more layers to smooth it out). THe last photos shows the repainted motor... as mentioned a work in progress. By the way.. that motor is for sale, all new parts for $1600 on craigslist. Email me for more info if interested. It is mint but wayyyy too big and heavyfor my 200CCP.

I added hatches to the gunnels for some more storage. They are perfect for bumpers being I usually tie the bumpers right there to the rail. I also had cushions made for the coffin. I have the in floor hatch just in front of the coffin (life jacket storage). It was cracked. So when I bought it to replace it (Beckson hatch) I held it against the gunnel and decided to go with 2 more. It worked out great. That little loop of rope you see hanging in the storage comparment was inspired from my cousins sailboat. At the top of that loop is a hook. You take the coiled dock rope and fold the loop over it and set the loop in the hook to hold the rope. I have one on the other side and near both of the rear cleats. Keep the ropes handy and neat and they release really easy. It is soooo important to keep ropes off the deck. They can hurt you. They roll under your feet when you step on them. Really dangerous. Keep them out of the way. I would not put those rodholders there. They seem to always catch the side of my knee. I would drill in drop in rodholders on the horizontal of the cap in the area near the grab rail. I may do so and eliminate those rodholder... I hate Gelcoat work just to patch holes!

Now my Piece de resistance... my custom lightbar. Keep in mind this is my very first boat. So with my primary focus for this boat being night Stripped Bass trips, I needed light to find my way. I didnt want to have to hold a spot light to find the buoys. So I had some stainless rails off of a junked boat and got to bending. (sorry about the power lines in the pic!) There are 3 sets of lights... 2-100 watt floods which shine straight out and 2-55watt deck lights, fore and aft, and the perko anchor light. I had a particular problem with the floods in that they also lit up the deck thus killing my night vision. If you look closely you can see custom hammered "eyelids" that I made to keep the light off of the deck. I also added the anchor light to the top and taped the hell out of it for the same reason of dimminishing on deck reflection. All lights are on seperate switches on the dash. I used bimini hardware to make the unit fold down. You pull the pins on the bottom of the legs closest to the helm and the whole assembly folds down aft for easy transport and storage. On the starbord side you will see some wires hanging out. This is on purpose... if I ever feel the need to remove the light bar I will cut the wires and install plug ends.You can also see a bit more of the assembly on the pics above of the dash. Where to put the net became an issue. As you can see on the whole boat pic at the beggining of this post, i used to keep the net in a bow rodholder...which always seemed to be in the way. So, I added the starbord side rail mounted rod holder for the net. Works out perfectly. You dont even know the net is there. Then, some of you may be saying "what the hell is with that port side rod holder?"... true, very true. That is what I call the "captains rodholder". the area where I night fish for stripers requires us to drift through a bridge under current and sometimes wind influence... so I have to approach the opening (about 25ft wide) under idle and correct as needed... all while having a rod in my hands trying to catch one. Sometimes it doesnt work out so well and I have to dart over and try to brace an impact (so far so good).. That rodholder is my quick holster which will allow me to keep my eel in the water while attending to whatever is needed. It is out just far enough so the tip is over the rubrail (dont want it out too far as to catch a bridge support). Most would say "why bother" but i estimate about 90% of the bites happen just as the boat comes even with the first bridge support... crafty little buggers they are.

So thats it for now. The weather here in Long Island NY is downright nasty... snow ice cold... really dismal. I will post pics of the above mentioned projects as they happen... but the wether has to cooperate. Merry Christmas, Happy Chanuukah and a happy new year to all!
1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

January 17, 2009, 02:34:00 AM
Reply #1

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
Re: New Member- 1978 200 CCP
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 02:34:00 AM »
Just an update. The 225 motor sale is going well. Im getting alot of calls but the weather in NY is brutal. I cant even get enough bareable days to show off the motor. Anyways, once that motor is off Im going to get to work on 3 projects which I will post pics as they happen:
1)Instrument panel rebuild - Ive designed a great minimalist layout and will use the rest of the space for a glovebox

if anyone is looking to buy my original panel contact me.

2) coversion of port battery compartment to a baitwell. Im going to fabricate out of fiberglass a drop in tub for my bait. I dont want any buckets on the deck to trip on.

3) this one is really exciting (and expensive)... im going to have built a seat pedestal out of fiberglass that will accomodate a built in tackle box. The tacklebox door will face the port side so looking from the back you will only have a width of 12 inches by 16.5 inches high (its 19 inches deep). There is an awesome built-in tackle box offered by SSI (http://ssicustomplastics.com/images/ssicatalog.pdf), model number 45307500. Its hardcore. This project so far is coming in at $650 for the pedestal and $347 for the tackle box. Ouch, but I think its going to be awesome. I dont want to waste an inch of space on that deck and under the seats is wasted space.

All 3 are in the planning stages and will be done by april 1st... the opening of striper season!
We are having record low temps here. I am freaking out! I want to get working on the boat but it is brutal outside.

January 17, 2009, 06:08:02 PM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 06:08:02 PM »
No tackle box in the console?
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

January 18, 2009, 05:35:17 PM
Reply #3

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »
No. Nothing built in. Sure, I keep my portable tackle box in the center console but I like the idea of creating more use for dead space. I could install a built in on the bow side of the center console but I want to leave that space clean as a back rest when sitting on the coffin. Also, the CC gets sprayed a bit.. I would hate for hundreds of dollars worth of tackle to get ruined due to a leaky seal or something.

January 19, 2009, 10:52:14 PM
Reply #4

No Class

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:52:14 PM »
Hey Koz! The boat looks great. Keep up the good work. Good move losing the 225. A 175 would be ideal. The wood work looks fine. I grew up in Bellmore & now have moved east, but, my buddy is still there. He had a 20CCP & had a momentary lapse & sold it(to a friend). Needless to say, he ain't gettin' it back!

January 20, 2009, 10:18:50 PM
Reply #5

Wayne'sWorld

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 10:18:50 PM »
Koz,

My '85 version of the 200 has a tackle box built in to the port side of the center console.  I also have a smaller box tucked up and under my leaning post, obviously not stock.  The whole leaning post setup cost $400 with post, back and launchers.  Picked it up used off of a Parker.  Let me know if you need picks.  It's a pain taking the cover off and putting it back on but i'd go the extra mile for a CCP owner!

Wayne

January 22, 2009, 02:16:26 AM
Reply #6

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 02:16:26 AM »
Thanks Wayne, I appreciate the gesture of pulling the cover for a few pics. I will take a raincheck for a month or two from now when the weather breaks. I love seeing pics to get ideas from. Yes, your 85 has the updated and larger center console which has the tackle box built in the side. My 78 has the older and smaller CC which would not allow for the box to go anywhere but maybe the bow side. Plus I am not very fond of cutting up the CC. Im having an ongoing battle with myself over cutting speaker holes in the CC. I need some tunes! I thought about a leaning post which would definitely allow for tackle storage, however pops anchors his a$$ in the starbord seat and doesnt move. I dont think he would do too well standing for hours. Also, when Im drifting a few of the local bridges for stripers i have to be able to grab the wheel to adjust the course. Usuall I am squeezing a leg between the seats to grab the wheel.. thus a leaning post is out although there are times when I would love one. That is how I came up with the tackle box idea. Leaning posts are common, but I like the idea of having a one off custom item. Ill see how it goes. I got two estimates so far of $600 and $650... thats JUST for the seat base. The tackle box is another $340! I have a few more estimates out there so hopefully they will be less.

January 22, 2009, 08:38:29 AM
Reply #7

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:38:29 AM »
Koz,

Nice looking CCP :wink:   I have a 1981 200 CCP as well.  Love the custom cushion for the coffin box :salut:   I had one made for mine but yours looks much better.  I like your seats as well in the stern.

I noticed on yours that you have the under deck storage with the hatch in front of the coffin.  These were standard on the 222 but very rare on the 200.  I had posted an earlier thread when I had discovered that I do have the under the deck storage but the hatch was never installed.  I wonder if this was a factory option or it could have been on a friday around 4:30pm and they just didn't bother to install the hatch :?  I was wondering if you have a chance, could you snap a picture of the hatch from the bow so I can see where it is in relation to the coffin box :?:   As soon as it warms up, I plan to go ahead and add the hatch to obtain the extra storage.  Do you like the extra storage?  Is it worth cutting the deck for it?

As far as adding speakers and cutting into the center console go for it :!:   I plan to do the same with mine as soon as I get the time.  Glad to see another 20' CCP owner.  These are rare CCP'S :wink:
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

January 22, 2009, 09:10:53 PM
Reply #8

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »
Sure Jdupree, I should be on the deck in the next few days. She is covered in the driveway right now but someone is supposed to come look at the Evinrude 225 either tomorrow or saturday. Thats very interesting that you have the storage without the hatch. I must have read your post about it. Who knows?... maybe it was a friday 4:30 thing or just a cheap way for them to bang you for another charge for an option. It is about 2 inches off of the coffin ( i will measure exactly, left right etc). However, I moved my coffin up about 3/4's of an inch to accomodate the coast guard required throwable PFD. THe damn thing just wouldnt fit inbetween the center console and the coffin, and i felt it was a great place to put it. So yes, i unbolted the coffin, then the coffin mounts, 5200'ed all the holes and remounted it 3/4's of an inch forward. It was worth it to me because its a great place for the throwable, and I now have peace of mind that those holes are well sealed. As for cutting the hatch in... depends. I like it because it is a great place for life jackets. There are a few cons though. The bin is not drained, so I drilled my own holes and it drains into the bilge. Condensation and moisture get in and dont get out... so you have a mildew factor. Thus I have to make an effort to open the hatch often to vent it. Also I am not so crazy about walking on a cheap plastic hatch cover (they are all cheap plastic crap). Even with all that said, it is the best place for life jackets and I am glad I have the space. When I had the coffin box dismounted, I took it off the boat, unbolted the cover, and installed a hardwood truss down the middle to support the cover better. I do not plan on ever using it as a cooler but even if I do the truss is sealed in with 5200. The cushions were custom made by my brother who does rehupolstry for a living. I made a port and starbord with the center bare to allow easy opening. They are mounted on 4 snaps which do not hold it well. I have to remember to bungie across the coffin when I trailer or I may be asking my brother to make another set! I made them mostly for my wife to maximize her comfort so I can get more fishing time. Otherwise im a minimalist and I wouldnt have them. The foam got a bit wet from rain which was ok... until the froze and were rock solid and COLDDDD! The stern bench is great! Its very useful. I recommend it. It is a great use of dead space and doesnt hamper the use of the live well because it flips out of the way... and I WISH I had to have more access to my livewell but the waters here make for some quiet days. The port and starbord jump seat may come in handy but for now they are in the coffin. I made them velcro in and out and I have them out for more fishing room. They are not as functional as the center bench.
Do you have a photo shoot of your 81 on here? Id love to see it. Thanks for posting. I look forward to more contact from all us CCP's as well as the entire Aquasport family.

January 23, 2009, 03:57:36 PM
Reply #9

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 03:57:36 PM »
Capt. Koz,

Thanks for all the great info :wink:  Wish your brother was close by I would give him some business and have him make me the coffin cushion just like yours :)

As far as the live well goes, this would be my biggest complaint about the 200 CCP.  To me, it is wasted space and the livewell is hard to reach down into.  As a matter of fact, I had a portable 30 gallon livewell made by a good friend and sealed the factory live well up.  I turned it into storage.

I would like to see a picture of the support you added to the coffin box.  Sounds like a good idea especially if you have several folks sitting on it.

Thanks for the good inforamation on the foward storage hatch.  I plan to go ahead and try to install this when I get motivated :roll:   Here are some pictures of my '81.

John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

January 25, 2009, 03:42:03 AM
Reply #10

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 03:42:03 AM »
Super Nice John,
Love the color on the hull and the deck. Beautiful. The T top looks great too. Im on the fence about adding a t top. I will get those pics of the coffin support and the front bin location out to you as soon as mother nature cooperates. Today was another cold, windy, run and hide kind of day... and this is coming from someone who climbed Mt. Mckinley in Alaska! I hear ya about the so called rear bait well. It works really good for dropping a Striper into but im not sure I want to be grabbing Bunker out of it. It is a bit tough to get down into. I dont feel that I would be happy with an add on bait well on that deck. Ive looked at them but im trying to free up the deck as much as I can. Ive thought about it but the only way I would do it would be to get rid of the coffin and put the well against the front of the center console. The front coffin is a great seat and a great junk box, but im not sure how much I need it. I think I am going to use 1/4 inch ply and fiberglass and develop better storage holds in the gunnel hatches I cut in. Right now i use them for bumpers because if anything fell down in there its GONE forever. I need to square them off better. Ill talk to you soon!

January 30, 2009, 06:19:36 PM
Reply #11

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »
wellah... Dupree... here are the pics of the coffin support.

I used a piece of hard wood flooring that I Sikken Cetol-ed over. I use it mainly for dry storage, but it should hold up fine if I start dumoing Stripers in there. You can use any piece of marine lumber. I wouldnt use starbord because I dont feel it will be ridged enough over that length. I carefully figured out how deep I had to make the cut, then dremeled out the piece. The coffin is a fiberglass tub filled with foam, then the interior liner, so it wasnt too scary to cut. Then I bathed the cuts in 5200 and set the wood in. Works great

THis one shows the drains I had to install in the channel. For some reason the rear part of the cover where there is a channel and a bump for the cover to sit on sits lower in the back corners... so water collects there and enters the box (drove me crazy for weeks to figure this one out).. so I had to drill holes, put in a brass threaded barbed hose thingie, resined it in and attached drain hoses that dump into the drain in the bottom of the box. Pain in the a$$ but you do what you gotta do.

January 30, 2009, 06:33:29 PM
Reply #12

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 06:33:29 PM »
also... here are the pics of the forward in floor storage...

This one is touching the bow wall where the anchor cabinet is

this one is touching the port side corner closest to the bow

this one is inside the box measuring towards the port side. The cover that you see upright is on the stern side

This is the measurement towards the bow

towards the starbord side

and finally towards the stern

This one shows you how close the coffin is to the cover... BUT... keep in mind I moved the coffin up toward the bow 3/4 of a inch to accomodate the USCG mandated throwable PFD that I wanted to squeeze between the coffin and the CC

I hope these will let you figure out where that bin is located. Good luck!

January 30, 2009, 06:46:18 PM
Reply #13

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
Heres a few more details of my 200CCP

This is my fix for falling rods. I took the rodholders, drilled holes in them and laced the holes with small diameter bungee cord and knotted them on the stern side. To insert a rod I just stretch the bungee away from the gunnell and insert the rod. Holds them great!... and yes.. I should have redone the teak before I did the project but I wanted to go fishing! I may redo all the teak this season... im not really sure being I have a whole list of stuff to do on her already

This is looking into my center console. This is how I relocated my batteries from the stern. The boxes are screwed down to the deck and the batteries are strapped on. Its a pain to remove the batteries but well worth the effort... they are well out of the way and help improve weight distribution.

I screwed the switch to the underside of the compartment. Its totally out of the way and you would never know it was there if you didnt know better.

THis pic shows the coffin center support I added. I took the top off of the coffin, dremeled out a channel in the bin for the wood to sit in ( i had to be very precise because the cover is resting on this so the height had to be perfect) then I used 5200 to seal it in.

in another post I suggested to someone on how I handled the steering cable and the control wire/fuel line boot. What I ended up doing was cutting a channel at the 3 oclock position for the steering cable to go through leaving enough clearance for the boot mounting ring. This allowed for a more natural steering cable postion. Then I installed the boot and 5200'ed everything in. Worked out very well.

January 31, 2009, 10:03:46 AM
Reply #14

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 10:03:46 AM »
Koz,

Thanks for all the pics and measurements :salut:   That will help me out when I get ready to install the hatch.  Like the support for the coffin box :idea:   I bet she doesn't flex one bit now!

Looks like you have done some neat things with the CCP.  That is what is great about this website.  You can always get ideas from guys who have the same boat as yours.  If you are like me you can't wait to get back one the water!

I know that you said that you were debating a t-top.  That was the best investment I ever made :cheers:   It gives you shade, storage, rod holders, etc.  It also is great for holding on to when the seas get rough :thumright:  I will never own another boat without a t-top!

I will post more pictures of the inside of mine the first of the week.  Thanks again :salut:
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal