Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Bilge Pump Stopped Working  (Read 515 times)

November 01, 2006, 10:33:58 AM
Read 515 times

bluedolphin

Bilge Pump Stopped Working
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:33:58 AM »
Late last night, I went to check on my one 1500 gph rule pump with automatic float. My 1972 22-2 does not self bail (stern too heavy with the 200 hp Johnson back there, so drain holes are below water level), so I check how much water there is, and make sure the auto float works. Well, there was a deluge during the day, and the water level in the bilge was quite high. Obviously, the pump did not come on automatically, so I turned it on manual (?) and out came a lot of water. I then checked the operation of the float switch, and, with the pump set on auto, I lifted the float up to activate the pump - nothing happened. I tried it again on manual, this time, it won't turn on anymore. Picture this, this was now after midnight, everyone fast asleep, and I am on the boat with a light  hooked up to shorepower, trying to figure this one out. Checked all connections, to see if a wire fell off - everything good and tight. Fuse - filament ok, but I put in a new one anyway. Cut off then re-connected the main red (+) and black (-) - still nothing. I did notice both red and black wires had black stuff - like soot -  like moisture got inside the connections. I cleaned the dirt off, and re-connected. Still nothing. I was not going to bed with the pump not working, and if there's a heavy downpour that night, the boat might sink - no way. After 2 or 3 hours of this, I decided to just connect the main red and black to the battery using fresh new wires - VOILA - power back on and the pump works. Lesson learned - keep wires from moisture, and the black (neg) wire can be the culprit if something does not work.  I'm not very good with electrical matters, but there must be a way to check connections using a meter to eliminate the guesswork - and save time. Can someone give me some pointers? Thanks.

November 01, 2006, 11:42:34 AM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 11:42:34 AM »
Sounds like the control switch or power feed to the switch is bad.  Not the float switch but the AUTO-OFF-MAN control switch.  Float switches rarely fail.  Also check the pump fuse while you're at it.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

November 01, 2006, 01:02:39 PM
Reply #2

bluedolphin

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:02:39 PM »
Hi, JimCT! After using fresh new wiring for neg and pos direct to battery, pump worked ok. The control switch and fuse were ok. Corrosion or moisture on the neg wire connecting to the bilge pump caused the problem. Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal